Sunday, January 20, 2019

Soup, Stew, and Hot Dish Menu Week

Tonight is birthday dinner two for my youngest. It will be a simple meal of spaghetti made with veggie noodles, salad, and garlic toast. I made her a strawberry-rhubarb dump cake from the saved fruit I tucked away for her cake. There was more of both than I though so I will use the leftovers to make a big batch of muffins tomorrow morning. that will make a change of pace from other muffins I usually make. 

Having tomorrow off will be a good day to do some other baking as my freezer banana supply is growing. We have another week of coming and going, so having easy items that reheat well is essential. It's a good week for soup, stew, and hearty hotdishes. I've had a coupe people suggest making a cottage or shepherds pie, which I think is basically stew topped with mashed potatoes, so will give that a whirl this week. Correct me if you know what I am actually attempting. We're gone again this weekend, leaving mid day Friday, so five options are plenty, with leftovers for supper on Sunday night when we are back. 


  • Spaghetti, salad, and garlic toast
  • Chicken and vegetable cottage/shepherds pie
  • Vegetable noodle soup with ham, drop cheddar biscuits
  • Beef Stew with baking powder biscuits
  • Goulash
We had a couple inches of snow, but not enough for an excuse to truly hibernate. I made pretty good progress on the post Christmas chaos, so tonight am treating myself to candles, wine, and a book. Tomorrow will be a day for productivity again. DH's brother-in-law's father passed away so we will pay our respects at the visitation, and short service Wednesday night, though the funeral will be private.. Last week I went to the visitation of the older brother of one of my birth friends. I guess this is the time of life I am in, with people losing their remaining parents and for those on the younger end, older siblings. Taking the time with my family, appreciating my friends; these have to be my priorities, even when trying to clean and purge, and improve my home. I hope you are having a good Sunday. 

11 comments:

  1. Having just lost my older brother last Friday you're right about appreciating people while they're here. I always did appreciate him of course but not living in the same country made things more difficult of course. So hug those you love closer if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss but so glad you were able to visit with him.

      Delete
    2. I feel bad that I'll miss both a birthday gathering for my oldest sister's 70th and a friends wedding Saturday, but both know their loved.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice weekend! Your menu sounds perfect for the cold air that is moving through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to go grocery shopping and brrr.

      Delete
  3. Your menu plan sounds really nice. We are home earlier than expected from skiing (the best laid plans & all that), so we are having tacos tonight, kebabs tomorrow, & leftovers through the week. I'll make homemade pizza on Friday, as I"m gone Tuesday-Thursday on yet another work trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your well organized for adaptung your menu. I hope all goes well with your trip.

      Delete
  4. Sound like a good week! Life is short and we all need to stop and appreciate those who touch our lives .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds a lovely birthday menu !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Behind Indian food, pasta is her favorite.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.