Thursday, February 21, 2019

Thrifty Thursday-New Recipe, Previously Loved Clothes


It was an expensive weekend with meals out, hotel stay, and the concert tickets. Still, it was worth the dollars spent and I had a wonderful time with my family. I’m back to watching the pennies again though and had some minor success even within some expensive, but needed, costs for the car.

  • Found about to expire cottage cheese and made a crock pot lasagna, which the leftovers worked for lunch and DD2’s dinner on Tuesday.
  • DH used a coupon and got a free tire rotation and a discount (not sure how much) on new back brakes for my car.
  • I worked from home Wednesday, saving gas and wear and tear.
  • Inspired by the Q’Doba burrito bowls, made our at home versions with brown rice, black, bean and corn salsa, refried beans, chicken, and an avocado. The three of us were fed for $7.41, with leftovers for two of us for lunch. One Q’Doba bowl with chicken is $8.10. this was a new to me way of serving food and one we enjoyed.
  • Went to a thrift store with my older daughter and hit a 505 off sale for Presidents day. She got  a dress, coat, and a shirt for a whopping $12. Plus, the same greenery she was looking at Target at $9.99 a bundle, was three for $.99. I got DD2 three shirts, a dress, and two sweater for $15. It was quite a haul! 
So far I still have spent nothing on myself for clothing and was not even tempted to look. I'm saving a little of my money for new under garments for spring. Until then, I'm making do with what I have. I still have no functioning oven, but not buying take out. February will end a little financially better than I thought heading into it, and for that I am happy to keep up with my frugal ways. 


8 comments:

  1. Good luck with the oven situation. Hooray for slow cookers! My vacuum is my problem--the coil to the onboard attachment cracked, so I have to keep sealing it with duct tape to keep suction going. I've sealed it three times so far. I really don't want to buy a new one before our move, so I am making do. It's not an expensive item--a basic bagged Hoover, but with the building of the house, I really don't want to spend ANY money I don't have to.
    Hey, tomorrow is FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need time at home to try and figure out the problem-then see if we can resolve. I'm giving it another week and then we will call a repair person. I bought a smallish Shark about four years ago and it has been the best vacuum have ever owned including the stupid purchase when we were first married of a Kirby. No bags, easy to empty, easy to clear blocks, and the belt is just a basic so even cheap to replace.And-it really cleans!

      Delete
  2. Well done at the thrift store. I am always amazed how well you can do there if you spend a little time looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved the two sweaters-wore right after they were laundered and will use the light weight shirts closer to spring and in Nashville. DD1 really go the buy with the gorgeous gray coat for I think $6.50.I'll bring DD2 to look for jeans.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your thrifty week. I don't think you can really count travel as a frugal bust. It has expenses but you are also paying for memories, which is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the weekend costs just got a little inflated, but memories are priceless.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it great what you can get a thrift store? Those burrito bowls sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered I really like the nuttier flavor of the brown rice-found a quick cooking version (quick as in 20 minutes compared to how long it normally takes) and with the black bean and corn salsa/salad-so delicious!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.