Saturday, March 7, 2015

Preparing for Tenner Week

My favorite frugal thing-home made latte.

I couldn't do the Tenner week this past week-too many prearranged events, so will give it a go starting Monday.  Frugally Challenged is going to give it a go with me, so feel to join in.  Here is the link to the real tenner week, currently taking place.  Penny Golightly Tenner Week Challenge I'll try and follow the day to day guidelines.  I already know I am at huge risk of failure on Saturday, March 14th as I am joining a friend for a night of her improv groups performance.  It is a free show, but need to order off the menu and tip the staff.  Because there is a currency difference between UK and USA, it has been suggested that the UK tenner is more like $15 American so I will aim to not exceed $15, but still means every penny will need to be hoarded to make it to Saturday. 

In the spirit of the real tenner week, I accomplished a couple things on the list. Here are my mini successes.

1. Found a Caribou coffee card buried in my purse with $1.62 still on it, and was able to get a nice cup of strongly brewed coffee for the  25 cent balance, and a couple dimes for the tip cup.
2. Bought two packs of black buttons for $1.04 cents each and replaced them on my old black long coat, and DD#1's pea coat that I have been "borrowing" this winter.  I really want a new long coat, but haven't found one I like enough for the prices so far, so am making due another year.  I am not a sewer and the buttons are a bit off spacially, but it keeps the  coats closed and the wind out. 
3. Reconstructed leftovers to stretched $20 of ingredients into five meals for the three of us, plus leftovers that provided two lunches for me, and one for DH. 
4. Since Sunday, I have had 3 no spend days.  I was hoping to get to 4 for the week, but I'm happy with accomplishing three and not just by happenstance-conscious decision making was in play. 


4 comments:

  1. It's amazing how the little things can save money. We've had a great day today..... and I avoided all temptations to buy expensive coffees and over-priced cake. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're between games at a tournament and instead of consessions, I baked oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for team and packed fruit and snack mix. It helps a lot when there is already a gate fee per day.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. $15 feels like a bit of a cheat, but I'll seriously aim for two weeks.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.