Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Jelly Beans-Not Just for Easter Anymore


I have a sweet tooth for certain artificially flavored fruity candies.  Mike and Ike's, Nerds, Sweet Tarts, and Smarties (the American kind not the British kind) are  few of my favorites.  Oddly though, Starbursts and Skittles leave a really bad taste in my mouth.  My two absolute favorites though are gum drops and jelly beans.  This is a marvelous time to be a jelly bean fan.  Clearance bags in every store and now, a full week plus past Easter, and the remaining bags in their pastel bagged finery, can be picked up for 90% less than two weeks ago.  I have to be good, as those little buggers would so easily be popped into my mouth like popcorn.  Neither my bum nor my teeth need them.  But, a few aren't going to ruin anything and they are a simple little pleasure to take me through the rest of spring.

Having been in the work world for years and years, many meetings are kicked off with ice breakers.  I can think of no less than  five times that jelly beans were part of that ice breaker.  The bowl is passed around and everyone grabs a candy.  The facilitator reads out some supposed work trait or personality trait associated with that color.  Usually white and black were either identical, or polar opposites.  If the facilitator was really in an organizing mood, they would use those jelly beans to put the meeting goers into small groups.  Here is a sample i found on line of just such an icebreaker.  jelly bean Icebreaker  Reading the game narrative makes me cringe-no offense intended to anyone who relies on these games to get a little cohesiveness to their meetings.  

My favorite "use" of the jelly bean was for  the training I and a colleague attended about 10 years ago.  We walked in and when we saw the bowl on the first table, knew what was in store for us. MC calmly declared, "Cool, jelly beans," and popped a handful in his mouth.  Within a few minutes the bowl was empty with others helping themselves.  When the trainer walked in, the look on her face was priceless.  She looked around, shook her head, and then laughed.  Sure enough, she popped a second bag of candy out of her bag and refilled the dish.  Then, instead of proceeding with what we thought was going to be the game, she had everyone go around and introduce themselves, name, company, and how many jelly beans they ate.  When it was MC's turn, he introduced himself as the instigator, and started a round of applause for the clever woman. Don't ask me what the topic was, but it was a good training.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious now...... what's the difference between British and American Smarties? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Smarties I had in the UK were choclate candies with a hard colored coating a little like M&M's. A friend told me about them and of course some came home with us last year. US Smarties are little rolls of little circular sugary tart candies. Each roll has about 8 and are wrapped in cellophane. Maybe you have US Smarties too.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.