Sunday, May 24, 2015

10,000 Steps

I had a pedometer at one time though I cannot attest to the accuracy as it was a freebie received with buying a couple boxes of Special K cereal. A whole crew of coworkers wear them as their daily accessory, but I haven't purchased a new one.  I mentioned the walking bug is part of my new office culture, but unfortunately, my job has me quite sedentary much of the day as I am huddled  at my desk doing research, number crunching, and policy  development. This is stimulating mind work, but I'm feeling and seeing the lifestyle change in my butt. We've had another bought of cold and dreary weather, so I've been more inclined to cuddle with my computer at night than an extra block or two on pup's walk.

But no more.  I don't need a Fit Bit to tell me I better increase my walking and exercise, but I might need some clever tricks and inspiration to do so. I stumbled upon this site that helps outline simple starting goals and strategies and move to other goals if inclined.
10,000 Steps is roughly five miles.  I know from my front door, around the large block and back to my front door is one mile, and easily doable time wise both before work and again at the end of the day.  I need better strategies during the day.  I've recently started parking in the far corner of the lot, but since I've been car pooling, I've had door drop off service.  That ends on Friday, so I naturally should be able to get those 500 steps back. Adding steps by using the farthest away bathroom, and using the farthest break room for lunch ads some steps as well and very step matters.  Where do you find extra steps?  Do you think a pedometer would be a good investment, or just another gadget? 

6 comments:

  1. Disability means that a 10,000 step target would be totally unrealistic for me but I'm currently trying to get to 3000 steps daily. I've got a Fitbit which I like because it records my results on my pooter with no extra effort from me. I stopped using my head to save my legs as my Mother would have said. Instead I try and get lots of little bits of action every hour of the day. More than 1000 non stop would be totally undoable but that's no excuse for not doing what I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts on the FitBit. I also think 10,000 might be tough for me but I like your attitude to do more of what you can.

      Delete
  2. I walk a lot, although I don't have a pedometer to count the steps. I think that if it's part of the fabric of everyday life, it's much easier to do, at least for me, than other forms of exercise. It's second nature to me to walk everywhere - cheap too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree so I'm going to keep trying to build those opportunities to add more steps.

      Delete
  3. I like the way that you're planning small changes and tweaks into your day. That sounds far more practical than massive, time-heavy targets. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I measuref 300 steps round trip to the far rest room as opposed to just 200 to the closer one. We have a sign by the main stair case at work that says "free stair master.". That was cute.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.