Saturday, September 26, 2015

An Ordinary Saturday

I woke up this morning craving coffee...and leftover cheese curds. Coffee cup at my side, and cheese curds warmed and devoured, I'm popping in for a little post before planning and starting my ordinary day. Ordinary is good-too many people don't get to experience ordinary enough, or ever. Since my Waste Not post earlier in the week, we've still been living off what has been in the house. My resolve earlier in the month to limit my total eating out the month of September,  has been busted, however. This week alone I caved in and had Leeann Chin's for lunch on Thursday, and then last night, we ended up joining a few siblings for Friday night Fish. DD#1 unexpectedly dropped in on Thursday afternoon and just headed back this morning to work the weekend, and my brother is in town from Florida. Plus I lost track of time in the office and was late getting home, so when my sister's text came to join them, no second thought was needed. The cheese curds were leftovers from the girls meal. 

DH picked up tacos for him and DD#2 on Wednesday before picking her up at church at 7:30.  We had a coming and going schedule, which is a post in itself. I had just popped a couple pieces of bread in the toaster when I came home, at 6:00 but he bought four tacos for the kid, and I ended up eating one of those as well before heading out the door for my 8:30 volleyball game.Even though I had already eaten too much restaurant food this week, those curds were calling my name, and would have gone to waste as no one else would have reheated them. I feel a bit like that Spurlock guy might have felt in Super Size Me. 

The rest of the weekend will be better. I've got loads of chicken and will throw a bunch in the crock pot for several meals, perhaps pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches, traditional chicken dinner, soup, and a hot dish or stew. I think there is hamburger, and several cans of tuna too. I'll swing into the farmer's market and hopefully find some zucchini's, which is odd that they have been missing in past weeks. I thought everyone always had a glut of zucchinis? I need to buy pantry staples of sugar, flour, buns, and bouillon, veggie/fruit bin basics of carrots, celery, apples and pears, dairy items like milk, eggs, cheddar cheese, yogurt and sour cream and then we will be set again until I really purge and clean.  I have been procrastinating the full fall kitchen clean, but really want it orderly and sparkling when we leave on vacation in less than three weeks so have put a moratorium on huge grocery shopping. I did buy a 20 pound bag of Pup's food.  He was down to dust.Despite the restaurants, I have done  well on the waste front, though admittedly, the tomato, pepper angel hair blob did get thrown.

I successfully made rhubarb and raspberry jam two Saturday's ago. That was what used the sugar up. We had six nice tall jars of jam, DD#1 taking one home.  These were the berries I picked and froze little by little until the bad thunderstorm that beat up the bushes, destroying the last of them.I always feel very Heloise or Martha Stewart when I make jam.
 I have strawberries frozen as well, and think I can round up enough jars to do a batch of strawberry.  I'd like to do it with rhubarb as well, but DD#1 wants to save the last of the frozen rhubarb to make her crumble again this winter. I can't blame her.  Don't we all want to nab a little bit of summer in the heart of winter? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.