Monday, November 2, 2015

Little Victories

Deep down, I have a bit of a competitive streak. I really root for my home teams to win. Even now, I get pleasure out of Wednesday night Volleyball wins, even though I am playing in the least competitive division as younger and stronger players have joined the league.  I play card and board games to win, no looking the other way when a player lands on my property in Monopoly.  Fair is fair and you have to pay the rent. I wasn't a cut throat parent, trampling over my kids in Candyland or Clue, but I did play with them to help them understand the rules, and any strategy.  I don't think I was ever unsportsmanlike-but you may have to ask my family, friends, and former opponents on that front, but a good bit of competition is healthy and keeps minds engaged. 

One of the things I like about track and field and really any timed sporting events, is the way every competitor has the chance for victories. Not all may medal or take the top slot, but each can set individual personal bests for themselves. I've talked about DD#2 in cross country and soccer.  She loves both, but she gets more personal satisfaction out of running.  With soccer, she can play the best or worst game of her season, but how the team does is ultimately up to the group as a whole. Rarely is a win or loss attributed to one player, in spite of the MVP label. For the running season, she set goals for herself, and different goals depending on the course.  She surpassed her personal goals, even though statistically, she perhaps had a better season last year. These were little victories. Wins that were solely depended on herself.

This philosophy fits  how I see my life in general.There are things in life that require a group-sometimes all of us-to make them work, to win.  Democracy doesn't really work if people sit out.  Tomorrow is election day in the US, and while this year there are no major offices on the ballot in my community, we do have  a group of people running for school board, with only a few vacant seats.  Who wins matters to me, as these are the folks that set the direction for the educational priorities in my community. While voter turn out will be low I am sure,I hope those that do cast a vote have done their work and understand why they vote for who they do.

In other things, it is all down to me, and how much I want to win. Comparing myself to another persons achievements, whether that is their career, their home, their family, ultimately is a lost cause.  I need to set my own goals, stretch goals even, and then challenge myself to move towards the win. I'm setting up my extra account today, and in going over the books yesterday, I am going to open with $200, not the $300 I thought I had saved.  While I had achieved those numbers if focused on a few budget categories, others I went over.  DH also had a disappointing second check in October, so despite my third paycheck in October, vacation and payments for DD#2 activities made the budget tight. My goal though is that the new account is at $5,000, not counting interest, by this same date in 2019.  If I make it, and more so if I surpass, without taking away from other savings goals, I will declare victory.

This November, I am challenging myself to Blog Every Day November, and will use the hashtag #BEDN.  Wish me luck-I've tried this in September of last year, and didn't quite make it.  This year perhaps!



6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I don't think I am particularly competitive, and certainly not that ambitious, but I don't like to feel that I haven't done as well as I could. And I HATE other people cheating! I suppose I feel that most things in life are about groups, the collective experience - very little is achieved purely as an individual, we all have help, support, and work in relation to others in most aspects of our lives. Perhaps running is the exception! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have described personal best better than I have. It is doing the best I know I can. For m, then it is one step further-setting goal to do better yet. Don't get me wrong, I fail miserably most often, but the trying is part of the challenge.

      Delete
  2. You are so correct about a democracy. I envy your school board elections. Our board is appointed which is supposed to free the positions from politics, but it leaves our community members with little to no recourse when things are not as transparent as they should be.
    I am one of those competitive persons also, even if I am just competing with myself. Though some times I can say/think good enough I seem to always try one more things or add one more detail or one more whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. School board races can get very political in big districts. Ours is smallish and so far doesn't seem to be partisan, but it has caused friction at times. St Paul is really heated this year. I am my worst competition- need to not set myself to fail.

      Delete
  3. I really like this post. I had just mentioned that I struggle with goals and this post is really inspiring. On the BEDN front. I'd like to encourage you that if this is a goal, which clearly it is don't look down upon yourself if you just drop in one day for a few minutes to post a whimsical photo or a link to a site you've enjoyed or a simple hello. If you intend to write a meaningful post everyday (which would be just great) but then find yourself short on time one day or uninspired then you may fall short of your goal because of these obstacles. So I'd encourage yourself to allow yourself to do some quick check ins. Most of us fellow bloggers like those anyhow :)

    By the way I am SUPER competitive. My whole family is (it comes from my dad's side). I actually don't like games much because of how competitive I am. I play to win and when I know there's no chance of winning then I don't really like to play. I know it's a problem but it's a pretty solid character trait I have so I can really relate to this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about doing just some phito posts or other short posts. Thanks for the nudge to go with that plan. I compete the most on trivia games-still love jeopardy!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.