Saturday, January 16, 2016

Mind Hacks for Minnesota Winter


Bare with me for a sentence while I bemoan the -30 windshield and below 0 temperatures expected this weekend-and a three day weekend at that. A beautiful hike in a local regional park, snowshoes or cross country skiing, or outdoor ice skating are not so nice when there are skin freezing advisories. We're hunkering down for the most part-minimizing the wear and tear on the car, but I'm testing a few mind hacks to remember that spring and then summer will be here before I know it.

DD#2's birthday was on Thursday. It was a hectic day and evening and we had dinner out, so no need for additional desert. I've been hoarding the last of the summer rhubarb and strawberries in the freezer so made a dump cake for her birthday cake today. The sweet smells of June are lofting from my kitchen as the cake cools. 

I've got zucchini to roast, a package of brats I found hidden in the back of the freezer, ready to first cook in beer then "grill" in the oven as well, for a summer themed supper tonight. I kept a handful of the strawberries back and along with the remaining bottle of a strawberry daiquiri mix and rum, I'll be blending up some tropical frozen drinks tonight. We have four partially used bottles right now of rum.  DH has a habit of picking up a new bottle when he has a semi regular get together, then sticks the used bottle back up in a high cupboard. I made a small dent in the supply on frozen drinks for my girls weekend, and at a few Christmas gatherings. I don't know if blending bottles is a good idea or not-different batches, or lots, so they have sat individually. DH is only a light social drinker, hence why so much is brought home, and other than frozen drinks, I'm not a rum drinker. We don't have this issue with vodka.

We keep the daytime temp fairly low, so I'm not going to dress in my summer finest to get the feeling, but I've got a St Martin t-shirt on under a flannel shirt. Nothing says warm and sunny like obnoxiously bright souvenir wear. I scrolled through some old vacation photos from our 25th Anniversary  trip three years ago and almost need to pull out the sunglasses. Two of my sisters are heading to St Martin for a week in mid February-I have envy today. 

I do like our home state most of the time. Every now and then, weekends like this in particular, when the cold gets to be even too much for me, I allow myself some pity. Then, I bring out some food, drink, pictures, or an activity that puts me in a sunny and warm frame of mind. I just polished off a cucumber and hummus sandwich, not a locally grown one, but still crisp and tasty. In just seven short months, it will be the real deal.

6 comments:

  1. Poor, poor rum....so unloved in the SAM household....lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only hubs would learn to like vodka, we wouldn't have this predicament. He has this thing about bringing partial bottles to things as well. It will get used up by end of summer, unless more comes, but I hear the shelf life of booze is pretty long. I should consult an expert. Know any, Sluggy?

      Delete
  2. How about making flavoured vodka? Usually a very acceptable present.

    So far the winter in this neck of the woods has been very mild but we saw a tiny, tiny bit of snow on Friday. Nothing like you're getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really haven't had much snow-it seems very dry, which makes the cold get even harsher. I've never tried to make flavored vodka-I usually just have the plain kind, with mixers of choice.

      Delete
  3. I don't know a lot about Minnesota but I do know you have brutal winters. I think you're further than I am in southwestern Ontario. Your birthday celebration sounds like it might warm you up a bit :) I know they mix different scotches together so why not rum? I'd be tempted to put it all in one bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our claim to fame is that we often have colder winters than Alaska. Yes-we will have nice summer dinner with her cake. She's been sniffing for a piece all day.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.