Saturday, May 14, 2016

It's Only Spilt...Taffy


I'd like to show a picture of the mess I woke up to in the kitchen, but I can't. Said mess made my camera, hopefully temporarily, out of commission. When M move in to weeks ago, she came  bearing a box of cooking supplies to make taffy candy, apparently one of her specialties. Word of advice, no matter how good a cook your 15 year old guest is, large amounts of sticky things and red Koolaid for coloring leave a trail of terror in their wake. After their hectic play week, yesterday after school she decided it was time. She made what I think was stage one, a sticky goo that she spread out on a baking sheet with wax paper to cool, or harden. I'm not really sure what the next phase was supposed to be. There it sat on the counter. Some time last night, the girls moved the pan from the counter to the table.Unfortunately, they didn't transfer it flat to the table but had it balancing kittywampus on a stack of brown paper grocery bags.

 I must remember to talk to their physics teacher about deducting points for not remembering the laws of fluids. While it was think and gooey, the taffy matter was most certainly still a liquid. Spread out across the table was a wide puddle of dark pink goo. Surrounded by the goo was my camera, out of its case, the camera case, and camera cord for uploading to the computer and recharging. I tackled trying to salvage the camera and part, and DH tackled the table, chair, and floor as drips extended to and over the edge. Taking pup out this morning, I notice he must have gotten into it as he had a couple taffy spots on his head, but was cranky and not having it when I tried to clean it out. 

I'm sure they will be disappointed that they lost the bulk of their taffy. I'm relieved becasue I think I was able to clean the camera carefully, and not get any wet in parts needed to operate. I ended up submerging the case several times in water as it was covered in taffy goo. I have it hanging outside on a shepherds hook to dry.  The other parts are drying out, post fine scrubbing, waiting to all be returned. It's 7:09 on Saturday and I am already ready for a break. I've learned these last two weeks how mellow a teen my DD#2 is, and have forgotten the energy when you have a houseful all the time. It's not the end of the world-just not something I imagined waking up to. The girls have a party this afternoon at another friends and I may treat myself to a little side day trip excursion somewhere. I spent yesterday purging and transferring pictures from my phone as my SD card was full so I can snap away with the phone if I get an inkling to. I wonder if they'll try the taffy again.  This batch was to have gone to the party, so that was an unfortunate bust. I'll turn them loose on something a little safer-maybe rice krispie bars. Those mallows won't go anywhere once in the pan. 


6 comments:

  1. Of all the messes I hate to clean, sticky is my least favorite. So sorry for the goo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep touxhing sticky even after cleaning.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine that is a nightmare to clear up! It makes for a greal photograph though, like a modern stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have taken one with my phone. I haven't tried out the camera yet.

      Delete
  3. I remember watching an episode of friends years ago which featured Ross gorging on Taffy I'm still not sure what it is lol. It does make for a fab pic though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about the chewiest candy you can imagine, and then think of any flavor under the sun. Ocean towns are famous for saltwater taffy, but I'm not sure what makes it saltwater. It's a fun thing to pick up on vacation or for gifts as you don;t generally see it other than in specialty candy stores.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.