Saturday, October 22, 2016

Stretching to November


DH and I ran over to Cobornes Thursday night and stocked up on more of the good deals. I caved and bought some convenience foods, namely the Knorr rice sides because they were 10 for $9.00, and with that you got a free 2.5 pound bag of frozen chicken breasts. I'm not a fan of the sodium, but if served with a lean meat and vegetables, the overall meal is healthy. DD loves them, and we like to use the Spanish rice for taco and fajitas. We are right around $250 for October in the grocery department, and this inlcudes DH's ice cream and chip run. I refuse to count the massive bag of bite sized chocolate he bought though. Big deals were another six Kraft cheeses, another three boxes of cereal, canned tomatoes and chili beans, and we grabbed four more cans of tuna, as low as we see it go. We picked up Yoplait's for just $0.29, limit of 12. These will be eaten for breakfasts and lunches well before the end of the month. I almost feel like I should get more as I take yogurt just about every day for my lunch. 

We will need fresh fruit, bread, eggs, perhaps milk, and meat of some sort to round out meals for the month, but I know I will keep under $300, by shear will power. We should be positioned well to keep November in check, as several items will not be used before month end, plus the pantry was pretty full before this shop. This is good as I'll need extra funds, unless I can be very planful, for my contributions to Thanksgiving dinner. I need to think through some meal planning. Last night was hamburgers and sweet potato wedges, tonight will be a tuna hot dish with corn, sandwiches for lunch, and Sunday I'll do brunch with pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and fruit. Sunday supper will probably be Italian herb crusted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, squash, and salad. My big baking day yesterday resulted in three dozen chocolate chip cookies, four mini loaves of pumpkin bread, and a small apple crisp, which I'll serve when the mother in law is over for dinner. I popped it in the freezer and on Sunday will thaw and reheat so it will taste fresh baked. I alos froze two of the bread and half the cookies.

I'm trying to stretch the household, health and beauty budget out to November as well.  My big Target shop labor day weekend is still keeping us in paper supplies, shampoo, and deodorant.The one area might be dish washing liquid that may need some dollars. I like being stocked, but I haven't gone overboard to the point that things are cluttered and I don't know what I have. That is a good feeling, and more like how I used to manage my household when I had no choice but to be orderly with teenagers and a toddler. 

This weekend has been just what I needed. Nothing exciting, but I am enjoying being home wwith no agenda. I took pup for a long walk this morning and he is a bit spent now. We'll go for another long one before dinner tonight. We may be meeting friends for a drink tonight-depends on DH when he gets home. DD1 is going with friends to a haunted hay ride at the garden center up the highway, and the timing would work well for  us to have a little meet up between dropping her off and picking her up. I'm in a borrowed car still, but my  new phone came and I am back in modern times. I have another purged box and bag of clothes, but think I will stop on route home Monday rather than run a special errand.A friend who's parents still live in town is stopping by to pick up DS's college graduation robe, which I have no idea why we still have it. Her kids high school is putting on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, like DD2 was in last spring, and she is on props and costumes and needs this for the Preachers robe. She's also borrowing a lot of things our school used and the back drop. I think it is next weekend; I might have to cross the state lines and go see it! 


This has been a post pretty much about nothing, so if you are still reading, thank you kindly. Sometimes downshifting everything, including the clock and calendar is needed more than a life of excitement. What can be better though than a weekend of good fresh air, home baked goods and cooking, drinks with family and friends, and a little blogging to friends? Enjoy what's left of your weekend, and comment below how you spent yours. 


21 comments:

  1. Cute furry dog! :-) I wish I had made pumpkin bread - sounds delicious! I did make banana bread last weekend. Yum!

    I picked my persimmons & then went on a nice long walk in a nature preserve with the kids (90 minutes). Came back & juiced some of the oranges from the tree to make smoothies. Now getting everyone sorted for lunch so we can head to soccer. The first time ever the boys are playing at the same school (different fields) at . . . THE SAME TIME! This is a cause for a giant celebration. Only one trip to the soccer fields today. Tomorrow is another story.

    And then, dinner this evening, plus a trip to Costco & the produce stand squeezed in there.

    Enjoy your relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love fruit trees and enjoy reading what all you make. Congrats on one location-hope boys did well.

      Delete
  2. Cute dog (sorry, don't know his name). I love those kind of days! It is cold and rainy out AGAIN so the dog is lying on my feet. I am on the computer listing/following some items for our travel funds. We took in the refundable deposit bottles this morning and put another $15 into our weekend away fund. Hubby is trying his hand at making homemade perogies (hes Ukrainian but his mother never taught him how to make it so he is trying to follow instructions from her old Ukrainian cookbooks lol). I did a points redemption for $60 in free groceries this morning trying just to stay on track with our grocery bill. Nice to not have to pay for things like eggs, butter and milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just call him pup here. There's a perogie truck in the city and the lines are long so I've never tried but my daughter said they were ultimate brew pub fair! I hope his turn out well.Nice efforts in your accounts.

      Delete
  3. I love the do nothing weekends. It is much easier to get them now that the kids are grown.
    It seems you have your budget well in hand now. I'm getting there. Having credit card debt seems to have been the kick in the butt that I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all just doing our best, right and little progress is better than none. One more unbusy day before Monday.

      Delete
  4. Met with friends and am planning a meal in the slow cooker for tonight. Might pop into a local art show later and really must get the ironing done.
    Arilx [have just joined your blog but Blogger has me down under my real name incase you wonder who I am!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our drink with friends turned into looking at new garbage disposals and sinks after dropping kids off. Then we went back and relaxed by the massive Bonn fire at the hayride place. We chatted with others, had a beverage, and enjoyed the crisp but perfect night.

      Delete
    2. The art show sounds lovely.I would enjoy that today!

      Delete
  5. I love your little pup I really want another dog but not a good idea when I have so many travelling plans. This weekend saw us making Halloween tombstones Lovejoy not prepared to buy them so homemade is the way to go lol. We also went to see the girl on the train and found it set in America instead of London and although I enjoyed it it was more gruesome than the book portrayed. The rest of the weekend was spent cooking/ baking and looking after our granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the movies since the full last Jason Bourne movie. I do like to go to the theater-maybe the new Dr Strange when it comes out. DD' s friend/lesson partner came over but I think they spent more time laughing than playing duets. I'm doing menu planning and watching Sherlock. Nice Sunday.

      Delete
    2. I love Sherlock and Dr Strange is next on my cinema list. Your Sunday sounds lovely

      Delete
    3. It was but now,I have a bit of Monday morning blues. I hope the world is kind today.

      Delete
  6. Like you I am stretching out my remaining food dollars this month by digging deep into the freezer and pantry and coming up with some unique combinations :) Good thing we like a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The down fall though, at least in my house, is a lot of pasta based meals. I love pasta, but it gets redundant, and my butt doesn't appreciate it. I do want to be more creative, but tonight we were running late, hungry, and I can get pasta and sauce with a little garlic cheese bread cooked and on the table in twenty-five minutes.

      Delete
  7. I think the home baked goods are what kills my diet around here... Everyone else has to eat too and THEY'RE not on a diet...
    dang. I HAVE to lose weight before June. I just HAVE to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's in June? I just hope something comes off, and some of the pressure on my knees is taken off. Bread is my friend and my enemy!

      Delete
  8. Your baking day sounds amazing, the cookies look delicious!

    I know I've said it before here but I love days and even a week of just being at home. Just looking after myself and the household, and especially stretching things and finding a creative way to make things last.

    You're so right food, friends, super cute animals an maybe a few drinks - what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat Nestle. I really needed a down option and had fun.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.