Thursday, December 15, 2016

Still No Furniture and Other Woes

I feel very out of control right now, things happening and me only reacting. As I've bemoaned, my Christmas decorating plans changed to accommodate delayed delivery of my furniture, twice. Latest hint is maybe it will be in the last week of December. Of course, DH and I are having to track this down. No one from the store has bothered to proactively inform us. I'm so disappointed to not have furniture downstairs with my family home. I'd like to cry but what will that help? So much for a relaxing home stay with visions of us all curled up by the fireplace, stockings hung. Last year on this date, I wrote about my Minimalist-Christmas Decorations by Chance. This year, things are about the same, stripped down, not at all what I was hoping to have my house look like to enjoy and now, continued emptiness in the space I thought would be homey.

 I tried playing volleyball last night. I don't even know how he did it, but pup must have taken one of my shoes, hid it well, leaving me to use another pair, a chunky cross trainer. Volleyball was a train wreck. I'm still not perky, but wasn't expecting to battle shoes that made moving even more challenging. Maybe pup was trying to tell me something. It's been less fun the last couple years. Some on the team take it too serious, and even when I'm feeling well, heading out in the winter for 8:30 games is a chore.  Is it time to call it quits?

Work, quite frankly, is too much work right now. I was pretty used to my days off so working the 45+ weeks again since September are taking a toll. Relief will come once I've transitioned the new staff to take on the tasks I had to pick up, but in the interim, training and orienting her has just been more on my plate. I have my time off to look forward to, oh yes, in my bare house!

I think this first winter cold front and snow has put me out of sorts. Maybe my mood will brighten once I acclimate again. Until then, I'll just try not to let my temperament impact others.

12 comments:

  1. Today the wrong sofa was delivered to my Mum. She ordered a sofa, they delivered a sofa bed, which is much too heavy for her to move for cleaning purposes( that's the reason she gave her other sofa to me)... and the one they brought is damaged. She is very angry, but I'm the one who will have to deal with it all. She just has to wait for it to be collected and replaced, not try to move it, and ignore the 2" tear on the piping at the bottom of it. I know she won't be able to though, and I have the feeling that I won't hear the end of it until it is sorted. I'm just too tired for all of this...
    Hoping that your sofa woes are sorted soon SAM - they are much worse than my Mum's because at least she has something to sit on, and it looks like the one she ordered other than the legs and a small damaged area which you can't see unless you get on your hands and knees. I think I'm going to be biting my tongue - I left shortly after it was delivered as I'd heard enough by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting damaged stuff seems more frustrating than delays (if it comes in great condition. For me, it isn't just the delays, but the planning I've done around the space after having had the water damage and that it was unusable for so long. I hope your mom's arrives and your back to concentrating on your own needs again. She is lucky to have your support.

      Delete
  2. Dang! I hope you get the furniture soon, or go check out the nearest Salvation Army or Goodwill and get something in there temporarily...
    OOH Check out the rent to own places! For a months rent you can furnish it for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading ahead of comments, I think I like the spirit of "the Christmas with no furniture" theme suggested. We do have the living room, and that is where the tree is set up, so I might be more melodramatic than needed.

      Delete
  3. Just a thought but if your furniture comes last minute before Christmas what about getting your entire family in the mood by having them drag out all the decorations and do a "mass" decorating? Hubby was not in the Christmas mood at all as has been working far too hard and stressed out as he has had no time to Christmas shop. I have bought all the presents for the family with his opinions so we had a mass wrapping last night and it was so much nicer not to have to do it all myself and he actually got into the Christmas mood a bit more (Amaretto helped lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubs was so nice and set the tree ad lights up for me, and I like your advise to have just a few things, chosen by the kids, taken out and put where we will enjoy them once everyone is here. Yep, wine and beer and amaretto help with the mood. thanks for your positive spin-much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully the furniture will come and if not this can become part of the family lore as the year without the sofa mid-section.
    I go along with cheapchick on the entire family decorating blitz. It would make the house look festive and be a different kind of fun at the same time. Plus you could serve adult beverages to everyone of legal age. Win/win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None will be delivered until all is in the warehouse, but I do like the new family tail we can tell. I've resigned to having us all just mill around with pillows and cushions and maybe a blow up mattress, and just pretend we are Christmas camping.

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed that you play volleyball full stop Sam never mind not long after your op when you're still under par. Winter and snow or any gloomy weather always puts me out of sorts took me years to realise my low mood bordering on full blown depression in the winter months was anything to do with the weather. Keep your chin up Sam you will have a lovely Christmas despite your temporary lack of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I haven't suffered form depression, I know the seasonal darkness has a really big impact on my mood. Normally it doesn't creep in until late January, but perhaps on top of the surgery, the couch issue, and work, I'm just not of right mind and making more in my head to everything. We will have a nice holiday-we are creative people and can round up a lot of pillows for movie watching.

      Delete
  6. I like the idea of adult beverage decorating as well this year! Could be a new fun trend. And, I'm so sorry about the furniture - what a hassle!

    I used to do an evening workout class, and I really enjoyed it & the company. But, I don't like going out in the evening, driving in the dark, I had to cancel for work & travel commitments, etc. In the end, I stopped going. Maybe there's a fitness commitment you could make earlier in the day or on weekends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to find a walking partner for the time I come into town. The walking track is open at the high school, so a safe walking place, free form ice and snow and traffic. That's a really good suggestion. And if we feel like it, we can have a girls night out after walking just as well.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.