Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Silliness of Christmas Only Traditions

Some things are special because they are reserved for certain occasions. Champagne toasts are saved to celebrate New Years eve, anniversaries, and ship launches, but generally aren't done on a nightly basis watching the evening news. Admittedly, many parts of my families Christmas celebrations or traditions defy common sense or are just silly. I make an over abundance of treats, as does most of the women I know, and we then give said treats back and forth. We turn ornaments, bells, and plastic snowflakes into earrings and  lapel pins.  We cram a years worth of parties and gatherings into a four week period, then bury ourselves in for the next two months.This Saturday Night Live skit from a few years back pokes fun of the traditional for many, once a year packed pews of Christmas worship service. Son's and daughters trying to appease their mothers and grandma's in joining them at church, cram together. I think I know all these people! If you celebrate Christmas, I hope you get a good chuckle out of this. If you just move about your life over the next few days in the same way as any other time of year, smile and appreciate your normalcy.


6 comments:

  1. That was pretty funny. It's a beautiful, warm, sunny morning here in Lower Alabama. Hubby has to work til 3 today and then we're going out to dinner, followed by a cruise around the development looking for the best Christmas lights. Then we'll spend a quiet evening at home watching a good movie. Tomorrow will be almost as exciting. lol We choose not to participate in the madness, although I admit that I have baked a lot of cookies, (with the excuse of giving some away of course). Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we can all celebrate as we choose. We had a lovely Christmas eve, snacking and cooking with my children and DH followed by loud fun time at sisters, then late church.

      Delete
  2. We celebrate Christmas in a big way but we celebrate lots of occasions in a big way. By big way I mean we all get together to eat drink and have long loud (very loud) conversations laugh and chatter and generally enjoy each other's company. We buy gifts, we don't go into debt and we all love the time we spend together and have fun. When Christmas is over it's over no stress no debt just plain old lovely family fun. I wish people who don't like Christmas who don't celebrate it would stop writing about it as if all of us that love it are wandering around brain dead and up to our eyes in debt bugger off lol. Have a lovely one Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're big and many loud celebraters as well. I'm hopeful tomorrow is as fun as today, and no debt but lots of calories.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this! Reminds me how we celebrated Christmas when I was a kid. I remember participating in church plays and being so nervous that I'd forget my lines, because I procrastinated and just memorized them the night before! LOL!! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always look for the screamer kid, the one who tells the songs or his lines. This was a funny clip and hope others enjoyed it too.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.