Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday Stupor and Avoiding Clearance Sales


Anyone else get a "hangover" from sleeping too long into the morning, regardless of how late you went to bed? I was up for 22 hours Saturday morning until I finally got to bad last night-this morning at 2:00. I slept until nearly 10:00, not counting the getting up at 6:00 and going back to bed. I feel head achy and in a bit of a stupor, almost hungover but without a drop of alcohol since last Sunday. I slept less than eight hours, but there is something to a regular sun rise wake up that better matches my Arcadian rhythm than sleeping too late into daylight. I'm putzing around getting laundry and some light housework done. I sent DH to the store for some basics we needed, including dish soap and toilet paper. Big mistake, because another $30 of items  magically appeared, and now to make my $200 food target, we can't spend more than $12 the rest of the month on groceries. I'll just watch out for every item, and see how close I can come. It's the challenge to not spend frivolously and without intent that's the point, not to worry about meeting an arbitrary goal. 

His extras were buying two boxes of Triscuits, a pound of bacon, two frozen pizzas, and two bags of navel oranges, which I hope are good. Orange quality seem  hit or miss in January. On the plus side, DD2 did not want to go out for supper either Friday or tonight for her birthday, but instead wanted chow mien and egg rolls at home Friday, and curry tonight. I decided not to count the store bought ingredients as part of groceries for the chow mien dinner, and count towards entertainment, along with the peanut environment free cookies she brought with yesterday for her choir team. Easily we would have spent $50 taking her out to dinner, and spent less than $15, including $4.00 for moose tracks frozen yogurt she picked instead of a birthday cake. 

I am on YouTube, getting caught up on some of the BBC shows I follow, and plan to just have a mix of production and slothiness today. I was going to attend a fund raiser on the completely opposite side of the Twin Cities from me because a friends husbands band is playing, but with this stupor am not feeling like an hour drive each way, and having a quiet day feels better. I'm glad to not leave the house, because the video's on YouTube are ripe with 90% off shopping hauls at CVS, Target, and other shops. I need to buy nothing. I need to bring nothing more into my house, regardless of the 90% reduction. Perhaps once I finish my office redo and have a "haul" closet, I'll be better positioned to play the savings game, but not yet. I'll avoid clearance, despite my after Christmas shop, but utilize finding the low process when it is something my family genuinely needs. That's my Sunday wrap up. I hope yours is full of whatever it is you want.

6 comments:

  1. To be honest, except for the CVS find the other day, I am not bringing anything I don't absolutely need into the house..Today I went shopping for those fun things like caulk and alight fixture replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh caulk-I need that for a bathroom sink touch up. I'd like to have a mini stock though. Even though TP was on sale, sending him to the store instead of a closet was s budgry kiss of death.

      Delete
  2. I hope that you're feeling better today and that the 'fuggy' feeling is not the start of a bad cold. All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better. Woke up and got up at a decent early morning hour. I crave sunlight, so sleeping into the morning sun is not great for me like yesterday. I do however, have the sniffles, so drinking lots of tea, and seeing if I can keep a full on cold at bay. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  3. Hubby did the same thing to me on Sunday...they just don't get the whole budget grocery thing. On the upside he did buy deodorant on sale :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind if we never had food waste and he was good at eating up leftovers, or planning meals from what we have already, but these are the trips that items I didn't know we had get pushed to the back of the fridge and cupboard.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.