I picked up cereal, juice, eggs, milk, bread, and bananas on Friday, my first venture out of the house driving myself in a week on Friday when I had to go to the school to help decorate. With what is already in the house, I should be able to pull off meals even if we don't get pizza. I'd like extra for lunches, so will try and sneak a portion or two aside, but we do have a little deli meat, another can of tuna, and some block cheese, plus could hard boil some of the eggs, and use up the last of the fruit for lunches. Here's my plan of sorts.
- Eggs, bacon, and biscuits and gravy
- Tuna hot dish with peas, mixed vegetables
- Tacos/burritos with rice and retried beans, corn and avocado
- Buffalo chicken strips, mashed potatoes, baked beans
- Frozen breaded fish fillets, sauteed rice, steamed carrots
- Grilled cheese sandwiches, left over soup or chili (freezer)
- Barbecue meatballs, potato wedges, any vegetables that are left
- Meatballs in mushroom soup gravy over white rice, any vegetables that are left (probably carrots!)
- Refrigerated cheese tortellini in some sort of sauce with spinach (not sure if it will just be a can of cream of something soup, or if I'll try and make a white, cheese, or red sauce
I am fortunate that my family enjoys humble meals. That might about do it for meaningful groceries. With all the extra trips to try and tempt our various sickness needs, I lost track of grocery and household spending, but can't imagine we went over $400, so less than $50 over the target. We made up some of that yesterday as we thought we would have spent much more on food at show choir but appetites still waning, none of us did more than a little nibble here and there for sustenance, after eating good breakfasts at home.
March will be a good month, knock on wood illness stays at bay, to recharge our $350 all inclusive household and grocery budget. How are you getting out of February and into March financially? Will March blow in like a lion, or will you glide your check book in like a lamb, softly and conservatively?