- Her travel mug was bounty for daily affirmation. Good morning gorgeous, was scripted along the side, with a tea bag quoting Kierkegaard, dangling from the lid.
- Despite doing no physical labor, her hands, rough from time and weather, soaked in the lotion as she methodically and intentionally rubbed them together.
- The daily overheard loud phone call, her colleague making appointments for the ailment of the day or week, was annoying and reassuring at the same time. At least that’s not my life she thought with a bit of guilt.
- She listened intently to the foreign news correspondent, not for what she was reporting on, but because of where she was physically reporting from. In a places she only could imagine, life was happening, and she was an auditorial witness.
- The smell of burnt toast lofting through the office was like an alarm, signifying the coffee pot was on; his work day would begin.
- Walking past the pristine and orderly work space, she had an immediate uneasiness that didn't go away until she was back in her space, surrounded reassuringly by her own clutter.
Would you want to read more? I like playing with various writers exercises like this. I like to think I am a life long learner, and any day that goes by and I learn something new, must be a good day. How about you? Comment below with an opening line or two for a story that is part of your life today. Let's see who might have the start of the great American (or insert nationality) novel.