Friday, April 28, 2017

Weight Loss Companionship



While I've kept the 7 pounds that became my real total weight loss in 2016, nothing has budged since.  I don't understand it when my diet has consisted of over eating leftover shower foods, birthday party cake, and clearanced priced Russel Stover caramel eggs. I wish I was joking. Avoid the candy aisle after holidays.Trust me on this.Two bloggers I read, Rachel at Living Better One Day at a Time and TraceeBee at Just Keep Swimming Mama Fish! know the same struggle, and have been writing, and boldly posting their progress and laments. Brave women, but I'm not there in terms of declaring publicly my actual weight. I just can't type those three numbers with a decimal point and another number. But on this last Friday of April, in a weekend that other than my nephews birthday dinner tonight, I have nothing on the calendar, and a full three months before my nieces wedding, and family pictures, I'm waging war on my scale. I am dubbing Rachel and TraceeBee my cyber Weight Loss Companions.

The snow flakes, that got quite blustery for a few moments on my commute in, really jaded me last night. I ate a full dinner, then snacked later at the computer, staying up too late watching crap on television. Since DH was off, he took pup for his walk, and I didn't even get that brief amount of exercise in. Today, I woke up feeling stiff, gurgly, and with a junk food hang over, almost, not quite, as bad as an alcohol one. No more as my body does not recover from either type of over indulgence anymore.

My weight loss target for 13 weeks from today, the morning we will leave for the wedding weekend is to have lost 20 pounds and one and 1/2 dress sizes.  I add the 1/2 because I'm currently squeezing into a size that is not comfortable in some styles, so the 1/2 is to first have my clothes fit well again, and second to decrease by a size. I will full on admit this timeline is vanity. Twenty pounds on my smallish frame will greatly improve how I feel I look in pictures. It also is a significant amount off my joints, which then in turn will help promote me walking an extra 1/2 mile or more each night. This comes down to a measly 1 1/2 pound weight loss a week, decreasing/burning 5,250 calories more than my body needs to maintain my current weight. Yikes, that is 750 per day. I'll add I've been cleared for this weight loss rate with my doctor.

On my new Feeling Good Friday posts (trying to frame in the positive), I will be brave like my cyber companions and record the highs, the lows, the success, and challenges of this latest attempt to bring myself to a place of health. I'll boldly admit to eating two Russel Stover caramel Easter eggs within two hours of eating a burger and French fry supper, and my shameless binge watching the last season posted on Netflix of Death in Paradise instead of walking pup or doing strength exercises. Hopefully though, I'll be able to record miles walked, rounds of cardio and strength circuits, and efforts in the pool. With DD2 not playing soccer, we have a huge windfall. I'm hoping the YMCA runs their summer special where for under $300, our whole family can have a summer pass. This will give DD2 something to replace soccer to keep fit, and give me access to an early morning pool and group classes. 

Feeling Good Friday Log, April 28, 2017

Challenges
Ate too much discount candy
Lack of exercise

Successes
Packed healthy lunch with minimum of two fruit veg all week
Committed to a healthy spring and summer
Set Weight loss goal that is realistic (?)


16 comments:

  1. I wish you luck, I struggle with weight. I walk every day before breakfast, do aerobics every day, watch my diet and still put on weight. Some of it is due to the medications I take and my doctor says it's my body simply adjusting to what I'm doing and burning fewer calories because it doesn't want to lose weight. Depressing, but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A slow metabolizm does fight me.

      Delete
  2. I would be honored to be your cyber weight loss buddy! ;) And, I love the positivity with "Feeling Good Friday"! I personally think your goal is realistic and obtainable. You got this SAM! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't just be about the scale or I'll lose momentum. Focusing on any progress will help my mindset.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I just posted about my own fitness challenges. This week is off to a good start, as I was really motivated by my time last weekend with my friend & sister. Everything I own is too tight to comfortably well, so I definitely need to kick my plan into high gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post-You're motivated. Your pool will be a good addition.

      Delete
  4. Well done, Sam. Like you I am not willing to post my weight but I need some "travelin' companions," too so I will begin next week and will weigh each Wednesday and only post scale movement (up or down). We are opening the pool this weekend and after about a week to get the water balanced I should be able to begin swimming laps again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With you allcposting Wedmesday, I will have two more days of motivation before my Friday posts. Swimming is a real help to my knees.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on this one and will watch your progress with interest. I have lost 7lb since January, which is pretty pathetic really in 4 months. My brother is coming out next weekend for a long weekend (the first time he has travelled since he lost his wife) but after that I really want to see how much I can achieve before the wedding in July. I will have 2 "free months" (May and June) to see if I can shift this stuff so onwards and upwards ladies. Cheers. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weddings and pictures seem to be great motivators.

      Delete
  6. I will definitely be your cyber weight loss buddy! It is such a struggle. I love your goals and they seem totally achievable. I am actually going to be starting a new "diet" on Sunday as I read a book this week that totally spoke to me. It was called "The Carbohydrate's Addict Diet" Everything they said made so much sense and just clicked with me. As I was describing the characteristics of a carb addict, my husband laughed and said that they had me pegged to a tee. So we shall see. Something has to give. Good luck! And we've got this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the carbs and I also love sugar so both are my downfall.Im to focus on white foods and sugar plus exercise. Yes-we got this!

      Delete
  7. If it was easy, only those choosing to carry the extra pounds would be doing so. Yes, weight loss principle are easy but applying a challenge. I'm always happy for a new resource.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are one of those people who go on a diet and lose no weight, let me recommend a change in tack. Insulin is the hormone of appetite and fat storage. If you do not lose weight then you probably have high insulin levels. All efforts should focus on keeping your insulin levels low.

    They key to weight loss is a lifestyle change. You do not need, indeed you must not go hungry, but you do need to change what and when you eat. I recommend a low carb, healthy fat diet with meal timings of 16:8. I eat for 8 hours only, so I do not eat after 8pm and I miss breakfast and just have lunch and dinner, unless it is a special occasion.

    A good website is www.dietdoctor.com

    I have lost over a stone and kept it off easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a look at the website and am pleased that I actually have discussed with my doctors many of the strategies, specifically to apply to myself. Good for you that the 16:8 works, though I would worry for me that I'd be dragging by 12:00 if I eat nothing in the morning, though I tend to not eat real food until closer to 8:00 when I get to work and have coffee at home. exercise will be key to me, particularly to try and make sure I don't just lose fat and not improve my muscle tone.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.