Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Extra Cash-Not Giving Up My Day Job



Last year DD2 reffed for the women's volleyball league on Wednesday nights. As the school year went on, she was in a time pressure cooker trying to balance school work, show choir, and reffing all on Wednesday nights, so declined the opportunity this year. The coordinator, a mom of a kid in her grade, is really short refs this year and knew I decided not to play, but that I'd probably still be part of the girls night out crowd. Long story short,I'm going to help her out for a few weeks until she can recruit a few more high school girls. I'll be paid the enormous sum of $10 per match, or $30 for the evening. I can't look at it as even a part time work opportunity, but more as a volunteer opportunity, with some expenses covered. 

Still, even if I only help out a month that's an extra $120  to go towards our December fund. I could just do it for free, but this isn't a charitable organization. Even if I wasn't saving towards something, I'd still rather take the money and donate to a place of my choice. It isn't something I'm excited to do, but helping out a friendly acquaintance at the same time as I give a boost to our family fun slush fund is a win win. I won't be giving up my day job anytime soon.

8 comments:

  1. Extra coins for whatever use you decide and a night out? It's not all bad plus it might be a little fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will go towards Christmas week-not stretching so much this year with fun extras.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Anne - always nice to have a little (emphasis on little :-)) extra money to apply towards a goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very little, but I figure one night of VB reffing covers matinee or Tuesday night movie theater tickets, a sort of tradition, when DS and DD1 are home at Christmas. A second and third night reffing covers happy hour.

      Delete
  3. My Mom has a saying "every little bit helps". Put it towards something that makes your heart go zing (a trip/family time/charity)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This goes to my fun money with my family in December when the dollar sings zing!

      Delete
  4. Just make sure they don't end up abusing your good nature and calling you up as a substitute! Oh my could you imagine that! Buuuut, like the others have said "enjoy" it - a bit of extra cash sounds great. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a conflict on 9/13, but hopefully they will find some on by November when the high school season is done.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.