Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Time I Met a Fellow Blogger

It happened Monday. We've been reading about it, the Pennsylvania to Idaho and back again trip of the summer. Well, Monday was my turn on the route de Sluggy and Hubs. My original plan was to have cocktails and appetizers/snacks at our house and then take the to one of the restaurants done by the river. From the sounds of Sluggy's post, restaurant and food on the road was getting quite old, so I decided to make  meal. ot to be deterred from my August grocery challenge, Slggy and hubs were treated to a bargain meal from my pre-planned list of menu options. I still had some snacks before dinner, and desert.

Here's my nibbles tray had ham roll ups, olive tapenade (Trader Joe's), herbed goat cheese (Trader Joe's), crackers, chips, and salsa.

Beverage choices were soda, lemonade, beer, wine, and I made Sluggy a really bad glass of ice tea, but I think she was too polite to comment.They had to still drive and I had to work so anything with alcohol is still in tact.

Dinner was Italian  herb chicken cutlets on toasted  buns, sweet potato wedges, and a pasta salad with garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and artichokes..

For desert, I made a banana cake and offered some sea salt and caramel chocolates on the side. Yes, cake was made from bananas from the freezer.

Pup was a crazy fool the whole time, crying for attention and barking-such a gracious home environment to have people visit in.  DD2, gone for most of the visit, once returned, was her quiet shy self. DH had to work, but finally joined us for the last of the visit, but he's a talker so another couple hours flew by. We talked about a wide variety of things but first, I needed a catch-up on their most memorable stop to date, present one excluded. I can't steal her thunder, but I'll say ATV's, sand, and hail do not mix.  

Apparently I do talk about my love for wine and through my posts, Sluggy knew me well. These are the awesome gifts she brought me-a bottle of white zinfandel, some pepper relish which I can't wait to try this weekend, and a Huckleberry Merlot wine bar of dark chocolate. Some day I'll get this food photography down.

And of course, true to Sluggy's claim to fame, a huge bottle of Tresemme shampoo from one of her hauls. Her hubs made a joke that it wasn't much of a gift when you know someone got it for free. Heck, it was awesome with two girls in the house and loads of them at the lake. 

If you ever have the opportunity to meet fellow bloggers, don't be shy, and make the effort. We all only share snippets of life, and perhaps at times too much, but laughing over stories is a new dimension of bringing social to social media. Safe travels Sluggy and hubs on your remaining days. Pass my hello's to those you meet.

23 comments:

  1. It's always good to meet up with a fellow blogger and find that you get on in real life toox
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met a coupe local ones and have enjoyed meeting them, but that was at a blogger conference, and most were bloggers as part of their work world. Next I hope to meet some International bloggers as well.

      Delete
  2. I met up with two fellow bloggers while I was on holiday. I also enjoy the correspondence I have with a few bloggers away from my blog using e mail and snail mail. It's always fun and enriching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I love getting your e-cards and the real card you sent is still proudly on my refrigerator!

      Delete
  3. If a gift is good, the price does not matter! Free is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought was lovely, and it truly is a useful gift.

      Delete
  4. I met one fellow blogger from England and it was great. I didn't know you could freeze bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the banana's get softer than you like to eat, pop the whole thing, peel and all in the freezer. They are perfect for baking (let thaw) and for smoothies (keep frozen).

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun evening! I got to meet Jane at Crabapple Landing this Spring, she is great, hope to meet up with her again some day. Free shampoo and booze? Sounds like a lovely guest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have night with both of you. Sluggy and her hubs were very nice guests, even had they come with just their appetite, but sure nice to be treated so well!

      Delete
  6. White Zinfandel, my favourite!
    Isn't it lovely to meet a blogger you follow? I've yet to be disappointed with any of the women I've met.
    Completely changing the subject but how fabulous does your hair look? So shiny and healthy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my mother-in-laws favorite so I will bring with to the lake and share a glass or two with her for her birthday. Yes, I too would want to tag along with your thirfting fashionista bloggers. You're so kind about my hair. Garnier Nutrisse thanks you as well. The last haircut I had a couple weeks ago was a good one. I hope she is available the next time I need one in a few weeks.

      Delete
  7. It's really lovely that you got a chance to meet up. I would be open to the idea, but schedule & location wise, ti's never worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family were at first, "well, OhhhKayyy?" but then my DH talked her hubs ears off once he got home. Maybe once your out of your current job you'll have the chance.

      Delete
  8. I had the chance to meet Sluggy and Mr. Sluggy. What nice folks. I hope their La. house sells and they have to head south for the closing. Maybe another meet up?
    I am going to have to do a big old road trip to meet a lot of y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I could do that sort of road trip, but perhaps a specific destination or two, on route to staying relatively put. I'm amazed at four weeks on the road.

      Delete
  9. Several years ago, I met a blogging couple whose blog is based primarily on their travels staying in last-minute discount timeshare rentals and other frugal lodgings. We met online after I commented about food finds in Missoula, Montana and Duck, NC. When they were staying near us, we met for dinner, and quickly realized that we are kindred spirits. We've since met up in Orlando, Carmel and San Francisco, as well as at our home in New Jersey. We are absolutely friends IRL (in real life now)! Here is the blog post about our meet-up at our home earlier this year: http://www.fulltimetimeshare.com/2017/03/21/harrisburg-pennsylvania-to-mount-laurel-new-jersey-march-21-2017/. Sharon of Midlife Mom Musings also met up with a fellow blogger recently: https://midlifemommusings.com/2017/07/can-people-you-meet-on-the-internet-become-your-friends.html I used to be a food blogger as part of a group blog, but have not had time due to my day job demands. I really enjoy your blog, SAM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check them out. I'd like to concentrate and be a food blogger, but my photography skills are sub par at best.

      Delete
  10. I've met 4 bloggers now, and one of them I've met twice this year. We've corresponded for about 5 years so it was lovely to finally meet up when we went on holiday to Norfolk earlier this year. She then holidayed in Yorkshire later in the year, so we hopped across the border and met up with her and her husband again.
    I've been lucky that I've got on well with all the bloggers that I've met, and that my husband has been very supportive about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure people can only be phony for so long on a blog, so if I have read and enjoyed their posts for years, they must be the real genuine article. Granted, there are a few I read out of a weird curiosity, but that perhaps might be equivalent to a gawker at a car wreck.

      Delete
  11. I sort of felt bad bringing you chocolate(Sluggy, the destroyer of diets)but not really. lolz
    You were a gracious hostess and we had fun getting to know y'all IRL. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome and generous gift-well thought out to combine my two of my three loves, wine and chocolate. I can exercise self constraint and eat just a piece at a time, with my third love, coffee. I am so happy to have had the opportunity and if we are in your area, don't be surprised to hear from me.

      Delete
  12. I have met a number of bloggers and each time it has been a wonderful experience. This year I met Tammy who hails from Comox, B.C. Sluggy really makes the rounds doesn't she? She seems like she would be a lot of fun to get to know - I'm glad you had the experience!!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.