Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Fun on the Farm

I think I've mentioned an old high school friend C, who grew up in farm country; her dream was to be a farmer, marry  a farmer, and raise farm kids. She has accomplished all that, including three strapping boys, two of which married farm girls, and all work full or part time to keep their massive dairy operation going. Their farm is adjacent to his family farm, and his boys make the 5th generation on the land. 

C ad I haven't seen each other in ages, but through the good things about Facebook, have reconnected. When she shared on our old high school class's Facebook page her family was hosting a massive, open to the public, Day on the Farm open house, and would welcome any volunteers, I  jumped on board. Being a Sunday, I knew DH would be watching football, and as it turned out, DD2 had a choreography day for show choir. It seemed like a great way to help out an old friend, meet some new people, and connect with anyone else who came.. I did know quite a few people, 4-H families who were and still are involved. Several classmates or near classmates came out. This was a huge event and they served food to the masses-all complimentary due to sponsors from various businesses in the agriculture community. Food included the most delicious grilled cheese sandwiches,made 40 at a time on a huge outdoor griddle, slathered in butter, fresh cheese curds, malts, yogurt, and milk. Unfortunately, the beautiful weather from Saturday didn't stay, and it rained until nearly 3:00, but that didn't slow things down too much as they had pop up tents keeping areas of activity mostly dry. 

I snapped a few pictures when I was done serving food. I took the bus tour and went over to the original farm to see the milking operation, but didn't take pictures of that. The baby animals  drew me in. Princess Kay, of Minnesota State Fair fame, always a dairy farmer girl, was in attendance, which made the little girls light up. She graciously posed with any of them that wanted, and let a few try on her tiara. It was a lovely way to reconnect with an old friend, seeing her dreams in reality.
A little too shy to come out.
I forgot how many cows-maybe 400?

I grew up with pigs,-even helped deliver some once.
I could have brought one of these guys home-so sweet.
A real princess!
Tractor rides for the kids.

Farm trivia. I posted a question for all of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.