Thursday, November 30, 2017

Time to Turn the Calendar


A chat over a beer with friends (or in my case sisters that are friends) is good medicine. I reffed two volleyball games last night,but then by 8:30 all the teens were there. This was welcome news to my feet as standing on the ladders gives me toe and foot cramps. I checked a few late e-mails and stuck around and watched my old team play their match and joined them for a stop afterwards. We went to a bar that used to have live music, open mike sort of set-up, but with some regulars that are quite good. I haven't been there in ages so not sure if this is no longer a thing, but there was no music last night. Too bad. I would have liked that.

I hadn't shared earlier that our oldest sister lost her special friend last weekend, not unexpected but still sudden when it happened. Since he has no family close, physically or emotionally, my sister is making all the arrangements for a small service and gathering for Saturday. We will help her with food. My oldest sister has had a hard life, abusive first husband, loser leeches that sponged off her, a brief second marriage that was not happy, though he passed away while they were separated. This friend was a good companion for her the last decade, though as his health declined, she carried a heavy load caring for him. None of the family knew him well as he did not attend family activities. I am sad for my sisters loss, but the stress she has carried hopefully will reduce and she can concentrate on herself and her health. At 68, I think she has earned that luxury. She is a tiny woman with a huge heart of gold but lonely after her kids grew up. Probably why she kept finding needy men that needed caring for. 

On this last day of November, I am trying to put my sites on turning the calendar and starting December fresh. I almost  wish for a big fluffy white snowfall to hide the gray of November. Still, taking pup out this morning, the unusual warmth of the morning, not a bit of frost, seeing the lights slowly coming through windows as the neighborhood wakes up was calming and reassuring. Even in the no color, melancholy dullness of the last month of autumn, there is  a tranquil beauty if I look for it.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your sister's loss.

    Sending you lots of good thoughts for a wonderful & peaceful December

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathy to your sister, Bereavement is always a shock, even f it isn't a surpise. I hope she can now have a a time of serenity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is hanging on. I know the wave of sadness will hit her regularly over the coming month.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry! My mom's cancer has come back and they're not going to do surgery, just pain management. It'll be a shock no matter when it happens... Because I'm not ready...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Val. Losing parents is so hard, but hopefully she will have her pain managed and you will have quality time with her.

      Delete
  4. Life is hard. I am sorry foe your sister. But she has you and you are a great sister. I hope December will be better for you both. Hugs and prayers for you and her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are a good family team. I appreciate yoru kind words.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for your sister's loss. It seems she had found happiness after less than happy marriages. I'm just glad she has you to be there for her. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiness might be a stretch, but she had someone to talk with, though the last few years she was a tired caregiver. Still, we need to all be there for her.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.