Thursday, December 28, 2017

Sorting Out and Cleaning Up

 One thing the post Christmas week makes me realize once again is that we have too much stuff. Even with attempts to scale back gift giving and reduce  waste, we are left with boxes and wrapping remnants, cards, and ribbons, and despite efforts, some uneaten food that will be scrapped. Today and tomorrow I will attempt to put my home back to rights. DH is off until Tuesday as well, so I think by Sunday, we will also have all Christmas decorations packed up and stored as well. I don't mind normally keeping up until the weekend after New Years, the 12 days of Christmas and such, but we hit the ground running hard on January 2nd and no time for decompressing. Having New Years eve and New Years Day in a relatively organized state will do wonders for our transition back to the work and school world. 

I'm sad to share that I've had to be on line with work more than intended during the break as a colleague on my team lost her mother on Christmas day. It is a quiet time of year with most schools closed completely, but there are still things that come up that need attention. Again, though, I am happy to work in a place and with people that care about each other and step in as needed, as others have for me. Technology is great in letting me do this without having to brave the snow and below 0 temps. 

Besides my sorting out and cleaning up today, DD2 has a full day of show choir rehearsal before the big preview show Tuesday night. She has two of her three dresses at home. How to describe them? Her director used the phrase "color vomit", but I'm sure on stage they will look phenomenal. The one she does not have yet is being altered slightly and is just a basic black. I can post pictures after her first competition on January 6th, but can't give anything away before then. 

I did a little post Christmas sale shopping with DD1. I bought some wrapping gear for next year, mostly bags and tags, and some garland, but didn't need anymore wrapping paper. I also purchased a few gifts for giving through the year or potentially tuck away for next Christmas including an Axe body spray and deodorant set for my nephew, white twinkle lights for a few of DD2's friends that will be graduating to use in their dorm rooms, a magnetic bottle opener for my BIL's birthday in January, and a two piece really nice ceramic baking set. I don't know of any weddings yet, but could be a lovely shower present or a birthday or Christmas gift for next year. I also got DH a Griswold like Car with a Christmas tree on it-perfect since he is the ultimate National Lampoon's Christmas vacation fan. It all ended up on my dining room table. Who else is off work this week between Christmas and New Years? Is anyone else tackling the post Christmas clutter or do you keep your decorations up into January? 




 

8 comments:

  1. I took the decorations down yesterday, with the exception of the wreath on our front door. I don't enjoy the decorations after the 25th. I don't really go crazy decorating, so it was pretty easy. I truly dislike the thoughtless excesses of this season in the name of Christianity, and I guess that shows in my decorating. No after Christmas clearance for me yet: I will wait until Rite Aid has their merchandise 75% off, and pick up things like perfume sets and candles if they have any available. There was a box of glass ornaments I was eyeing too, but not enough to buy unless it's on sale. I also paw through the candy to see if there is any chocolate left to sock away in the freezer for later baking.
    Kids are off until Wednesday, they it's on to February vacation, with a long weekend in January. March is a tough one, no break, with April giving us a week's vacation. Then it's the home stretch. It seems easier when the light begins to return, though. I can already sense the days getting longer.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the decorations up, but this year I'm ready to move into the next phase of the year. We have stupid cold weather here, so I am staying put, but would like to be outside more.

      Delete
  2. My only non-food purchase in the post Holiday fracas has been a toothbrush at Rite-Aid(and it was free). I didn't buy anything Holiday related at Rite-Aid otherwise....like Meg I'll wait for the 75% off deals but won't buy any wrapping paper/boxes/bows/cards as I have plenty here already for the next couple of Xmases.
    I'll leave decorations up for about a week or until the mood strikes me to put it all away. Never did get a nativity set set-up on the new dining room buffet since College Boy drug home a wide array of ceramic pots from his ceramics class this past semester at school and they are still sitting on the buffet. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last two years I've had such minimal decorations, I really wanted to enjoy this year. I do need to find a good place for my haul-make sure I don't forget anything I bought and void the savings later by rebuying.

      Delete
  3. I am off here. Hubby has had to work, but the kids and I have been home. We haven't left the house since Christmas day, so no after Christmas sales for me. It has been too cold to go out. We were going to go out today to the local kids' science center but I think I have a kidney stone so we decided to just stay in. There has been a lot of watching TV, playing with new toys and games, napping, etc. I am hoping to get the Christmas stuff down this weekend. I like to start the new year with a clean living room---my mom yells every year as she says I need to leave everything up until Ephiphany but I tell her that I have a small house and need the space!
    Hope you have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cold here as well. Even the dog doesn't want a good play. It feels good to close one holiday and start the next season fresh.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorting out too in small stages. Happy New Year.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.