Monday, April 2, 2018

Hosting Aftermath and Menu Planning

I should have taken pictures of my Easter menu spread. I know we were a small group, only seven, but I think I mastered it. DD2 did my appetizer table and arranged the veggies and dip, meat and cheese, and crackers, and truffles on a seperate small table to ejoy while I was finsishing the meal and we were all talking. It looked very nice when she was done. My only hiccup was I forgot to put the deviled egg's out for the meal. I found the when I took out the pistachio cake my cousin in law brought for desert. I was surprised no one mentioned deviled eggs through the meal, not even my two housemates. Oh well. A few were politely eaten, and they will be lunches as is or turned into egg salad. The only picture I did take was of the lily my mother-in-law brought me. Oh, the table cloth? I found that tucked in my dish rag and towel drawer after a good deep clean. Maybe bought it three years ago for 70% clearance at Target so I think it was $4.50. It brightened my kitchen so I think I might use it until I can get my windows open and put a coat of paint on my beat up kitchen table. 

I'm not even going to talk in detail about my March grocery total. Things took a turn on Thursday. Then I stopped at two places on Friday. I hadn't planned ahead on the ham and bought one not on sale because all the lower cost ones were out. I also ended up with a bigger one than we needed, but I have loads leftover and two large meal portions frozen, plus a healthy meat filled soup bone. I think I might shift my strategy and aim for a total yearly household and grocery budget of $5,000, aiming for $400 a month, but allowing a bit more flexibility for holidays and super good deals. My motto, my game, my rules still apply. Still, just keeping the monthly goal in my head stops me from stupid buying most of the time. 

We have an odd week here. DD2 is home again today, but she claimed the last of the cheesy potatoes and green beans for today's meals.She has track practice later this morning and is meeting her group on her American History decades project. Track meet on Tuesday and her last show choir practice will keep her from the table Tuesday and Wednesday and then she hits the road midday Thursday for her last competition. We're taking of early Friday morning. We'll eat down leftovers this week, maybe throw a grilled cheese or can of soup in the mix for variety, but for the most part all week will be fend for  your self. I don't want food waste since we will be gone and my niece is unlikely to eat meals, just perhaps some fruit or snacks while here with pup. 

Ok-I'll fess up. I spent a total of $560.29 in March, including the $20 I was prorating to April. Keeping my spendinng to just $239.71 in all of April? Yeah, yearly budget might be a better plan, but I'll be tracking. Have a great week. 

14 comments:

  1. I love the table cloth, beautifully bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I spent more in March. It's hard! My husband did do a random shop that I still can't figure out what he bought, but it was significantly above our normal. Our budget is $625, and we ended up at $642. So, not great.

    I did make a casserole for two dinners, and prepped a bunch of food for the week yesterday. Which, was a giant pain because our dishwasher is broken. But, I survived. ;-)

    Love your tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way about Friday's sjoo. What all did I buy?

      Delete
  3. Glad your Easter was a success. I have had dinner parties where I forget to put out something planned. No one has ever missed it!
    Your March is exactly why I keep our food as a yearly rather than monthly budget. Some moths I spend very little and sometimes, well, I can't turn down a great deal. Additionally some months just have bigger needs than other months. It is easier for me to just maintain a yearly figure.
    Like you said, your game plan, your rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yearly might be a better target. Still I'll aim low and hope to maximize our funds.

      Delete
  4. I play the over-under grocery game. If over one month that amount comes off the next. If under that amounts gets added to the budget. It sort of works and helps to keep me on track for the yearly budget which is more important anyway. I ended up going to Costco on the 31st which is always dangerous but stuck to my list and squeeked by. I loved deviled eggs. Yes, odd no one said anything but likely you had a huge spread to begin with. We are eating leftovers today too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shortage of food but we always have deviled eggs. I've got beans soaking for soup.

      Delete
  5. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to serve an item. That just tells you we all have too much food. I love your tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much, too many choices but I think it was enjoyed.

      Delete
  6. I forgot the dinner rolls I especially bought for my dh to make ham sandwiches at brunch. Noticed after. Maybe your budget is too low and you need to up it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, probably too low but I like the challenge. I'd have missed the buns, yum.

      Delete
  7. I always forget to put at least one thing out and have now started a tradition. Maybe one year it will be the ham...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would standout. I waited so long ti buy I was lucky any were left.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.