Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Positively Tuesday-Adventures Big and Small

Graduations, weddings, new jobs and vacations are all part of life's big adventures. May seems to be an epic time when each of these starts moving to the forefront of peoples minds, at least some years. I don't think we have any weddings, but our calendar is filling faster than our checkbook with grad party invites. DS is always on the job hunt and DD1 keeps her eyes open for opportunities that might relocate her back to the Twin Cities. Even DD2 is two weeks into her new job. For DH and I, we are both not looking to change jobs, most likely before retirement, unless within the same company. Our big adventures are through our children's eyes, and of course, our trip later this summer. Do adventures need to be big monumental events or changes? I think not. We have a whole lot of summer prior to leaving for vacation. For this Positively Tuesday, here's some things on my summer list that I'm framing as adventures.

  • Two business trips, one to Chicago and one to San Diego. I used to travel about eight times a year for work and now perhaps one to two times. I'm back to the mindset where being able to connect in my field nationally is exciting again. I leave tomorrow morning for Chicago for a quick 36 hour travel, meetings, business dinner, meetings, business happy hour, travel whirlwind. 
  • The hunt for the missing wardrobe pieces. I found the gray pants ($4.99) and last night I found the elusive black jacket. I also found a blue one, and together they were $14, but huge wardrobe extenders. Since I wanted all to be under $24, I've got a budget left of $5.00. While I haven't found the white oversize shirt and a new spring/summer dress, the game is on. 
  • Putting the raspberry bushes to rights. I spent a good part of Sunday night tackling this and will do more on Saturday. The new growth is coming through. I'm a horrible gardener, but I've managed to keep this lot going if unmanaged, since we moved in. Making jam from these is very satisfying.
  • In that sort of vein, on my adventure list is to add at least one more variety to my jam making. I'll make strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, raspberry, and then a batch with the odds and ends from all. Last year I never made straight raspberry because they came in fits and starts. If I can source some other berries inexpensively, I might even add a fifth variety. I'll use the canned jam for our own eating of course, but to supplement gifts throughout the year. Add to my list, the hunt for inexpensive jelly jars. 
  • Friday night river walks. Since DH works both Friday and Saturday's, he'll most likely use Wednesday nights to Friday morning for cabin time, and then back on Saturday night. This leaves Friday nights for our time to hang our on the weekend. Our favorite recent activity has been to take a long walk along the river. Occasionally we may go out for dinner first, or stop for a beer after, but mostly, it's just the time to take in a perfect night.
  • Make a few farm to table pizzas. I'd love to go to one of the pizza farms, but our schedule never seems to conicde with the hours. Instead, I'll plan to visit a few farmers markets where not only is the produce available to top the pizzza, perhaps I can find fresh made moazzarella. If not, the creamery will be my next options. I broke my pizza stone quite a while ago. I might splurge on a new one, but also, add that to my hunt via thrift stores or yard sales. 
  • See my world through my camera. Last summer I took a couple wanders near the cabin and in a regional park. Inspired by Jane at Life Begins at Retirement, a fantastic photographer of the beauty that surrounds her, I want to get out to at least four new to me places.
Mostly, knowing how short summer really is, I don't want ot waste it counting down days until vacation. Big or small, I intend to take advantage of these fleeting few months, and look at what could just be mundane to others as an adventure to me. 

8 comments:

  1. You are so right summer is short. Good buys on the clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to use both jackets on my trip, with older clothes quite well.

      Delete
  2. Great buys on the wardrobe items. And you are right about summer being short!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are off to a great start!! Dh just butchered my blackberry bushes last weekend - I'm so bummed, but the rest of our garden is doing amazingly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is supposed to rain Saturday, but I will tackle it anyway as Sunday we are at the lake again doing work.

      Delete
  4. This is a jolly list, my favorite was the raspberries They grow like weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do, but if I can tame the beast, I'll be less battered trying to pick the delicious berries.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.