Tuesday, May 1, 2018

What We Really Ate and Menu Thinking


April was OK in the grocery department despite the weird rogue shop by DH. I feel much more freedom since taking the suggestions of so many to look at a yearly household and grocery, (H&G) rather than just monthly account. I'll keep in mind giving myself mini challenges along the way when I feel my efforts need a jump start. I had a goal of $400 per month, but March went haywire in the final days. April, I'm ending with a respectable $435.96, but am stocked for two months with toilet paper, and doubt I'll need Kleenex or paper towels the rest of the year.Going into May we are low on many staples, but I've gotten good and creative, in the past month, so it will be nice to replenish.Here's what meals ended up being as April came to an end. I did an Aldi's shop on my way hone last night because it worked best for my schedule this week. It will count as May spending since I've closed my April spending. What we really ate last week is below.


  • Mon( 23)-Leftover boneless ribs, fried rice with egg and mixed vegetables
  • Tues (24)-Frozen pizza
  • Weds-Chicken and stuffing hotdish with broccoli and rice
  • Thurs- Hamburgers, sweet potato fries, coleslaw
  • Fri-Birthday dinner for nephew at their house
  • Sat-Tuna cakes, herb and butter rice
  • Sun-Ham, pasta side dish, and pineapple 
  • Mon-(30) chicken strips, fried rice
  • Tues-(1) Plan to just have leftovers 
I didn't make the Croque Monsieur's, so perhaps this month. DD2 has a track meet after school and DH works late so I'll probably cobble something for myself and warm up leftovers. At Aldi's, I grabbed a few protein items like their pre-made stuffed chicken and a small turkey breast, and get ingredients for a crock pot pasta dish for Friday since I will be out of it after my throat dilation. These should yield leftovers for Saturday night. I'm going to wait and see how the weather is shaping up. The more outdoor stuff we can get done, the more I'm going to want to just have items to throw on the grill with salad, or easy things for the crock pot. 

I'd like May to be a low spend month but with room for the stocking up in the budget. If I see a good deal, I'll buy, but for the most part, stick to store items and home cooking with simple inexpensive ingredients. I'm happy for the promise of green and trees budding and lilacs that come with May. I want to keep the kitchen simple so I can enjoy all this often perfect weather this month has to offer. 

2 comments:

  1. I need to get creative & start planning for May - I have two international trips (which, I never do), due to a work emergency is Asia. I need to start planning what the boys will eat while I'm gone.

    I think a freezer inventory is a good next step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than taking DH's mom out for Mother's Day and a dinner theater event, my goal is no meals out in May. With grad parties, a few other family events, it should be doable. I have soup and chili in the freezer for nights we are tempted, but I'd like to have some more easy things to throw together.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.