Saturday, October 6, 2018

Household and Grocery Challenge-Fall Edition

September was an incredibly aggressive household and grocery (H&G)challenge, setting a target of $350. Well, I finished at $397. With everyone with colds and trying to stay ahead of something worse developing, we ended up buying more fresh fruit and vegetables, a supply of canned soup for pick-ups, and odd and ends that add up quickly. DD1 bought many groceries as she eats differently than the three of us, so not counted. We also sometimes had her items so might equal out when she ate food I bought. I'm not sure but a 4th person changes the budget so I think we did pretty well. She motivates me to eat better, and that is a good thing.

I had to stock up on many things and I bought some easy items for the week, spending $106 right away in October. DH decided he wanted lasagna yesterday and spent $24 on ingredients! Wow. There are leftovers and it was good, but now, I'm $130 into the month  already as I write this on Friday morning. I'm setting my target at $400, giving me now a weekly target each Friday of $67.50. I may or may not make it, but once again the game is on.

I updated this after an Aldi's shop on my way home spending $65.45, to carry $2.05 ahead. We are in the entry period of soup and stew weather. Throw in hearty casseroles, that's a hotdish for us in Minnesota, and I have tools to stretch my funds. Meals for the week are:

Aldi's Take and Bake pizza
Vegetarian chili, cornbread and crackers,
Pork chops and potatoes with corn and apples
Roasted chicken and potatoes, green beans
Chicken noodle soup with crackers and egg salad sandwiches
Turkey Meatloaf with potatoes and steamed vegetables
Tuna hotdish with peas

I don't know what we'll have yet each night other than the pizza last night. There should be leftovers for lunches, plus loads of bread, cheese, and deli meat for sandwiches. I bought pasta sauce in case we want to mix up something. We may switch potatoes for rice, but I got an 8 pound bag for under $3.00, so want to maximize the deal. Sunday night I shopped without much of a plan and spent $106. DH was hungry nd spent $24 on one meal. I really thought through meals when I shopped on Friday and what a difference. Who else has some goals for October shopping? Any new recipe links to share that were thrifty wins in your home?

9 comments:

  1. No goal per se, but I am, and have been for a while, trying to eat down my stores. I am doing little food shopping other than for things like bread and deli meats for lunches, half and half for coffee, eggs for baking, and salads. (I only buy pre-bagged salads when they are on quick sale, so salads are a treat.) I have a freezer full of frozen vegetables, a pantry full of canned vegetables, and my apple trees are giving me more apples than I know what to do with, so fresh produce isn't an issue. What seems to be an issue is resisting loss leaders. This week a local store had their case sale, so DH just HAD to buy a case of tomato sauce, and a case of kidney beans, as the whole house LOVES chili. At $0.50/can, I think I can find room. Also, whole chickens are $0.88/pound at another store we frequent, so into the cart they are going! To that note, Allrecipes.com "Sticky chicken" herb and seasoning mixture is one we really enjoy. The recipe tells you to cook low and slow which is great for winter, as that helps heat the house, but I typically just put it in at 350 Degrees for about 20 minutes/pound. Also, for my apples, I discovered the same site's "Apple Cabbage Soup." The family loves it. I adapt it for the slow cooker.
    Yeah, $24 for one meal SEEMS like a lot, but ask yourself, how much would it cost for you to take the family out for an Italian meal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try those recipes. Of course eating out would be more but you should see what the kitchen looked like.

      Delete
  2. Men! They are always sidetracking the grocery budget, aren't they? My hubby does that too, never wants what we have ingredients for (and we have full to bursting cupboards and freezers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Cheapchick. I would go to the market and then the grocery store on a Saturday and come out with one cart full (for 4-5 people). I was in hospital one time and my husband took my kids and came out with 3 cart loads of groceries, tripled the grocery bill and then bitched like billyo because he couldn't find space for everything! Budget? What's a budget?

      Delete
    2. At least I got a good meal out of it.

      Delete
  3. It seems like $24 for a meal is not quite right since you had leftovers that might make that $12 for a meal.

    You typed $35 for the month?

    I rarely buy canned goods unless it is on sale. It must be on sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! Corrected to $350. It was still am expensive meal with 1/3 left over still $16. Canned goods in fall and winter are useful in my kitchen.

      Delete
  4. We had house guests this week, so our grocery budget was up, but we still saved by eating in each meal instead of going out to eat. Since our guests are on a diet, it made it easier to stick to their diet with eat-in meals planned ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. Eating out is tempting with guests.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.