Monday, November 12, 2018

What Life is Really Made Of

I get an extra day off work today, in honor of the veterans. The program at the school was inspiring and sad, and inspiring again. I readily admit I never chose to serve, had apprehension when my son turned 18 and registered for the draft should it ever be needed, and worry about where everyone I know is stationed when I hear of a military action involving our troops. I'm a coward that way, thinking first about what service has meant to my self, my family. Still, despite the anger and hostility in our country resulting from competing ideologies about how we create and then keep a good and great society, I know those that sign up to defend our country are truly selfless, and are doing so to keep their own part of a good life preserved. It is up to us not in uniform to hold each other accountable to uphold, without hate, ethical, moral, and incorruptible standards of our freedoms. 

I really don't get corporate and individual need to amass more and more money. I don't understand why having more of something, just because you can, is important. I get that people have different measures of what is enough, of what is saving for a rainy day and what is hoarding. We are all entitled to our own definitions of sound financial practice, household management and personal safety nets. Feeling like I can ride out the tough times while still getting my kids through college, have access to health care, and not work until I'm in my 70's is my personal comfort zone. Everything else, to me, is moving towards the gluttony I opened the paragraph with.

This weekend was a really good weekend and not because of any great event, financial windfall, or material purchase. It was good because it was filled with time spent enjoying the good stuff in my life. I enjoyed sappy movies on the television, a tour of a variety of country barns and houses, hosting retro style craft fairs, so up my alley! I was happy to look, needing no more crafts and décor, but felt positive supporting a farm market, owned by the parents of an old friend from middle school and 4-H, and bought a couple jars of pepper jelly for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I spent a little one on one time with DH, eating simple but yummy food near a fire in a local pub, in our quaint revitalized downtown. I spent time writing and corresponding with like minded people via Blogger and Facebook, but read and thought about without arguing, different perspectives. 

I bundled up, despite the unseasonably cold weather, and let pup pull me where to go and for as long as he wanted to be outside. I spent a lazy Sunday morning over coffee, fresh baked pumpkin bread, and the weekend newspaper. We had an extended family birthday dinner, where I set my exit schedule to not be overwhelmed, and enjoyed time with people that I sometimes do not. Today I'll eat simply and make a big batch of chicken noodle soup so we can eat simply again later in the week. I'll review the calendar, make sure we all have work and school week laundry, refine meal planning all in hopes of  not getting bogged down by the work week stress. DD1 has off today and we are going to meet up and have some creative time together. 

There is a kind of wealth that no amount of money can build that comes with being happy with what you have in your life. Sure, there are things that I'd like to be different, but most are things I have no control over, and for the most part do not have to do with money. I'm not saying my fear of DH's work situation crumbling, or my angst over DS's career instability will go away, but they don't soak up my thoughts. I'm trying really hard to focus on the things that truly make my life good. Your turn. Tell me at least one thing in the comments, that has nothing to do with money, that makes you wealthy. 

7 comments:

  1. I am wealthy beyond belief because I have a wonderfully imperfect cadre of family and friends who care enough about me to accept my imperfections also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wealth cannot buy happiness but it can make being miserable a lot easier. But I am with you on this one. family, friends, beliefs,all things that make life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an amazing family. My sister is my best friend, my parents are incredible. We are all really imperfect, but love each other.

    So grateful for the health & safety of my kids right now. We are all inside, staying clear of the smoke, and reminded of the fact that people have lost everything in the fires here. We have so much, and will be stepping up to help those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am healthy and mentally sharp. Oh, I am lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can be content with what you have you are rich indeed. I have everything I need and most of what I want so what more could I ask for! I have my health, my kids and (totally non-monetary) even 35+ years later, when I walk outside my door I marvel at the view. It never gets old. Contentment indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Treaders, contentment is so hard to come by in our society nowadays. I like to live by the mantra, "Have what you want, want what you have."...or something like that.

    So many blessings have come my way and having the readiness and awareness to PAY ATTENTION to them has let me reap the benefits in this life. Nothing and nobody is perfect but if we take people for whomever they are we can gain knowledge and insight into life, yourselves and others. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. People think I'm crazy when I tell them I paint rocks, but that I don't take money for them. Well, I did, but I don't anymore. The money was not making me happy because I started worrying that if I made too much, I'd have to claim it on my taxes, then I'd have to get some kind of license to sell in my county and pay a fee for that, and on and on. It caused me worry and took the joy away from my hobby. It also raised people's expectations and a few got a little fussy which made me cranky. Now I take "requests," I do them in my own time, and I ask the person to donate to a charity instead of paying me. Some I give as gifts or leave as surprises. I sometimes get back incredible thank you notes that mean more to me than money ever could. I am at a point in my life where I am closer to the end than to the beginning. I worry about finances, yes, but I also think about what I will leave behind and my hope is that I will have made a positive difference in some small way, even if it's just a painted rock that made someone smile.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.