Monday, December 24, 2018

Football Feasts to Compete

We had a lovely day on Sunday. We watched our Vikings win to keep playoff hopes alive. Darn though that our nemesis, the Philadelphia Eagles also one, so we need to win or they need to lose next week to ensure a play off spot. There will be lots of football in my life for the next 5 weeks or so, from college bowl games and NFL play offs to the Super Bowl, and we enjoy watching together as a family (DD1 has joined her dad this winter0 or DH likes meeting up with friends.  If you're not an American football fan, swap out soccer or European football, tour de France, or just a game night in your head when you read this post. Bar and grills, pubs, are expensive though. As I look to be more social in 2019, I realized with putting together our football feast yesterday, I can recreate a menu for dimes on the dollar, even using convenience foods bought at stores like Aldi's and Trader Joe's. DD1 took a snapshot of part of my spread yesterday. The beer cooked brats and buns were left in the kitchen for serving

Here is what I put out, and what it cost me. In the third column, I included a prices I sources out from various pub menu's. I had to make some assumptions/ for example, I bought a 6 pack of single serve soft pretzels, but the one super sized one at the bar probably would be the equivalent of the same number. Of course I had prep time and some energy use, but we also have leftovers of chips, salsa, veggies, cheese dip, and hummus. Plus, there was no additional tax on the groceries and no server tip, so this is a very conservative difference. 

Menu My cost per unit Pub Item Pub Price Difference # Needed Cost for number needed
Leinenkugel's Beer-12 ounce $1.10 Short drafts $4.00 $2.90 8 $23.20
Soft Pretzels-6 pack $1.00 Super pretzels with mustard and  cheese  $12.00 $11.00 1 $11.00
Queso-for chips and pretzels $2.00 Side of Queso dip $5.00 $3.00 1 $3.00
Spicy mustard $2.00     -$2.00 1 -$2.00
Brats and Buns (bought in 5) $0.80 Beer Brat-1 for kettle chips $5.00 $4.20 4 $16.80
Chips and salsa $4.00 Chips and Salsa $6.00 $2.00 1 $2.00
Veggies  and hummus $3.15 Veggie and dip $6.00 $2.85 1 $2.85
Spinach artichoke dip $3.00 Spinach artichoke dip $6.00 $3.00 1 $3.00
Buffalo chicken dip $3.00 Buffalo chicken dip $6.00 $3.00 1 $3.00
Savings           $62.85

During the holiday season, it is easy to get sucked into spending more on food and drink. It's not uncommon to get a call for an impromptu night out with friends, or head over for a happy hour for snacks a drink and a game. I love the time gathering with people and the camaraderie's of being with friends and family while our team is playing. My little exercise with an excel sheet though is pretty quick illustration that for very little effort, I could replicate the sports bar experience at a whole lot less money. 

9 comments:

  1. Other than our trip to Edmonton we vowed not to eat out for the rest of the month. We failed on Friday night and ended up getting Japanese takout but it is unlikely we will be eating out the rest of the month. It is so bloody costly to eat in restaurants, and I often find when you make it yourself it tastes better with little disappointment. Beer brats are my favorite, your spread looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a single night overnight, plus a two night overnight, plus a day trip for show choir-so much eating out, though we'll pack snacks. We just need to keep our wallet in our pocket other weekends! Enjoy your trip.

      Delete
  2. I agree about making and eating the spread at home vs. going out. Even if you have extra people watching you are still ahead of the game. We do watch the NFL playoffs though we are not team loyal. We used to pull for whomever had a player from the University of Alabama on their team but now all the teams have someone so we just hope for good exciting games with no injuries. WIth the college bowl season and playoffs heating up we will be watching lots of football too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only are we team loyal, we are anti-team loyal, and have fun rooting for the team playing our anti-teams. I too though, hope for no injuries-can't get the mom out of me.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you Sam, it's so much cheaper (and actually more fun) in your own home. We used to eat out such a lot when the kids were younger because (a) we were exhausted after work/commute and (b) we had decent enough incomes between us to be able to afford it. In the end though we all got sick of it. It's Christmas Day here and my kids will be arriving any moment now and for once I am zen (although I couldn't find the eggs to make Yorkshire pudding - a special treat for my youngest - so I had to dash next door). Other than that, I cooked the pork in the slow cooker from 1 a.m. this morning and it has been so easy. I'll have to host a few more evenings now I'm "free" - and you know what, when you have the time it's fun. We have the rugby 6-Nations starting soon (love it) and of course the Rugby World Cup so I look forward to hosting quite a bit. Enjoy your day and Merry Christmas. May 2019 be kind to you and yours. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even used a bunch of quickie premade dips and store bought pretzels and it still was loads cheaper, and not much work. Have a lovely time with your children!

      Delete
  4. We had a bunch of side bets going & were thrilled that the Seahawks won! :-) We laughed & watched the game with the kiddos & just relaxed together. No special food yet. The kids aren't quite in a phase where they want "football watching food", but I imagine it will be coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.