Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Bargain Book Club

We had a moderately successful first book club last Thursday night. My daughter, myself, and the two younger moms who met to pick the book, plus a woman newer to town who moved to be closer to her adult children. My sister is joining next month. We all either had to buy or download a copy of the book we read, The Winter Loon, by Susan Bernard, which could get expensive over the year. One of the gal's researched that the library has book clubs in a bag, a set that comes with 10 books, one of which is large print, plus an audio version. Pretty cool! We can check out for 30 days. We are now going to read A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. Free book club books instead of spending money is great, and since none of us were in a club recently, it doe snot matter that the books might be a bit older. We may have to shuffle around to time the books with other groups that have them out, but since we are supposed to be a low key book club, that is just fine. 

If this isn't available in your library system, there could be other ways to keep them low cost. A few clubs could partner up and exchange books, cutting the costs in half of purchasing. I'm sure any library system might also help order, if enough exit, and reserve a certain amount. It sounded like our local librarian was thrilled to help with suggestions, and pronunciations. We were all calling the man Oh-Vee, but it is pronounced just Ohv, not like love or move. since we are just getting to now each other, we've been meeting in  public places, with food and drink. Maybe over the months we'll shift to someone hosting. Getting the books for free helps keep this a low cost monthly activity. 

We seem to be an odd little group, but that is OK. Three, four if you county my daughter, newbies to town, and my family members! We range from 28 to what I would guess is early 60's. I think at this point, we won't be growing, but maybe someone interested back in November will resurface. Six seems a nice number to talk about the book, pick a new one, and have conversations about other things going  on in life. I'm trying to build those empty nester hobbies!

Have any of you used book clubs in a bag and was it successful for your club? If you're in a book club, how did it form and what makes it successful or challenging? For any readers, what are you reading now that might be worthy of a discussion? 

11 comments:

  1. Our book club uses the "books in a bag" from the library--it is a county-wide program and is great. Sometimes you have to wait a month or two for your 1st choice, but it is FREE! Public libraries are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will never go back! I just got to page one of my book-haven't really started, but I like the promise.

      Delete
  2. We never buy books for our book group. We plan a few months ahead and mainly choose not real new books. If we find that people cant find them in the library then we change around the book.we also sometimes use the book club packs. You can keep them up to 45 days so given out at February book club and turn in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get much like finding enough copies of the last one through the library, so now we will be better prepared, though since we only can keep for 30 days, we have to be sure to read fast!

      Delete
  3. I always see at least six or seven different "books in a bag" selections at our library too - although I never peaked to see if there were just regular books or audio and large print as well.
    Quite a few years back I tried a book club through our old church. I made it through four books and decided that it wasn't the best fit for me. Then I joined one with a group of local moms...the first time we met, they wanted to meet at a very loud local Mexican restaurant where not a single word about the book was mentioned and it seemed more of a social (drinking) event. That wasn't my cup of tea either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And as for your question about good books suitable for book clubs.... They are older books but I loved This Much Is True and She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Also older and more of a chick lit/tear jerker themed book was Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.

      Delete
    2. I'm so far behind in reading current books, current for me is in the last decade!

      Delete
  4. I have been in the same book club for over 15 years. One of the books that sparked the most conversation was "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. Another was "Stones from the River" by Ursela Hegi. Both are much older and should be fairly easy to get in a club pack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look at our list, which I think is on-line. the Winter Look was such a downer, we wanted an uplifting book this time. I like the idea of books worthy of discussion.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of a book club "bag" from a library! I"m not in a book club, but read often. One of my goals for 2018 is to read more non-fiction. I finished one on the flight, so can at least check that box. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were going to pick Dear Martin, though I think that is historical fiction, not non-fiction, but the older woman wasn't very excited by that. I'd like to read at least tow non-fiction this year as well.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.