Friday, January 18, 2019

Vegan Curry and a Hot Chocolate Hack-Who Knew

Other than DH, my family loves Indian food. I am not great cook, nor do I know much about Indian Cuisine, but I can fling curry powder into a dish like it's nobodies business. For DD2's birthday dinner on Monday, I wanted to make her curry and I had limited time as I was scheduled for a yoga class, now postponed. I invited DD1 for dinner, which presented a little bit of a challenge to my "recipe" since she is eating vegan and I use yogurt. I googled a variety of began recipes to come up with ideas for switching out my options, and ended up making the following chickpea and mixed Vegetable curry.

2 cups Vegetable broth
2 cups Coconut milk 
5 tsps of curry powder
2 tsps black pepper
(I really should have had a chopped onion cooked before adding the liquids, but I forgot to buy one and we didn't have any in the bin)

heat all together to a simmer
add 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bag mixed vegetables (mine was carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower)
1 can potatoes, sliced

I let all this simmer, and had the girls taste test. It definitely needed more curry powder, pepper, and a pinch of salt. The flavor of the curry seemed to be absorbed by the coconut mil, so I feel like I might have almost  doubled the amount used! I also couldn't find coconut milk in the can, not stocked at Aldi and I didn't want to make another stop so used the carton kind. It made it too thin, so I used a bit more broth with some corn starch to thicken a bit. The verdict? DD1 like it a lot. DD2 said it was good, though prefers my usual, but it might have been that there was no zucchini (not in stock) and she loves zucchini. She happily ate the leftovers while studying for finals on Tuesday night. I splurged and bought basmati rice instead of just the long grain I had on hand and bought a two pack of naan. Total cost for four hefty portions, with rice and naan? $6.79 or $1.70 a serving. I don't know if it would have been less had I not cheated with a bag of frozen veg and canned potatoes-probably about the same. The naan bread was the splurge.

Now for my hack. Since I had to buy a 1/2 gallon carton of the coconut milk, I'm left with six cups. I'll make another pot of the curry over the weekend, but remembered a tip on a YouTube video. A British ex-pat vegan, living in Paris, shared that she buys a certain cocoa and uses it with coconut milk to create an indulgent hot chocolate. I just had regular old Swiss Miss, 6 packets for $1 and thought why not try it. Yes, the Swiss Miss has some milk already in it, so not vegan, but neither am I. I heated the coconut milk and added the packet, then heated it some more after whisking with a fork. Oh my! This was absolutely decadent! It has a hint of the flavor of a Mounds bar, so if you do not like coconut at all, this might not work for you, but I found it incredibly delicious. I'm guessing this hack works equally well for almond milk. 

I love finding extra ways to use up ingredients I buy for recipes, but don't need the full amount. I like that I have one more recipe to pull out, basically with pantry and freezer supplies I have on hand (and will now have coconut milk) without needing to run to the store. I think I could make a non-curry version for DH-perhaps with regular milk, cream, or yogurt and use garlic and Italian seasonings, sort of an Alfredo type dish? I might give that a try. Have you had an success lately with new or made up recipes/ Have you found any hacks to use up extra ingredients? 

6 comments:

  1. You're very brave taking on cooking for a vegan - I wouldn't know where to start - but that curry looks lovely. Could you give me the name of the expat vegan blogger in Paris? I am really interested in vegetarianism and overwhelmed by veganism but if she is in Paris she would know what the French equivalents to UK vegan products would be. Who knows, maybe I'll make it. I had wanted to try Veganuary but then having to dash off to Wales to be with my brother kinda scuppered all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's actually a Vlogger on YouTube called Non-Stop Paris. She seems to have dwindled off her channel though for some time-life must have intervened, but you could watch her old ones. She is not a cooking Youtuber, but once in a while shares what she is eating. I found her and an America Expat when I was trying to learning all the ins and outs for my trip.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I'll check her out. It is very difficult over here to find the French equivalents and quite frankly there is nowhere near the same selection of vegetarian/vegan offerings anyway. A

      Delete
  2. I love curry so I know I would like that one. I use coconut milk from a carton and make a "from scratch" version of a keto hot chocolate. It is pretty tasty so I know the one using swiss miss would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you use for chocolate? I'd like to find that version.

      Delete
  3. I made some delicious Thai coconut soup last week- it had chicken in it but if I make it again, I'll omit it and/or add tofu. Pioneer Woman has a chickpea curry recipe I've been wanting to try- it's similar to yours but 2 cans chickpeas, 1 can coconut milk and vegetable broth. She also adds a little Sriracha for heating it up.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.