Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Following Spo's Lead on Not Being Busy

     I read one of my favorite bloggers post Monday morning and it home-really hit home-with me. Over at Spo-Reflections, his piece, in his witty and non-judgmental way, wrote about the virtues of not being busy. I thought about it and decided I want to stop wearing the "so busy" badge at all times as well. Now that the party is done, my youngest is leaving the nest, undoubtable, I will have more time on my hands. Time I can spend loading up the calendar, the project list, and trying to fill the formerly mother filled moments with random commitments and other business. Attentively, I could also read for fun more, take slow and untimed to any clock walks, take naps, and generally, slow down. 

     At the cabin on Sunday, my super annoyingly judgmental sister-in-law asked how the book and  recipe blog was going. I felt the condescending tone and her real reason in bringing it up was to confirm her doubts that I'd ever finish either project. I honestly said both are going slow because I haven't spent much if any time on either. I added come fall, I'll have more time on my hands and will probably be more focused again. She laughed in her very deprecating way she does, "Oh everyone told me I'd have so much time after T went to college, but I'm just as busy as always." Both me and my older daughter commented more or less that it is matter of where to prioritize. Her response, was, "Well, I guess I just know too many people." I try to let remarks like hers slide off my back-she doesn't think anyone works as hard, is as cunning and intelligent as she is, or cultivates as much opportunity as she creates for herself. And for what? So she can find fault with everyone else's choices, while verbally touting a "live and let live" fake message? No thank you. The next time she brings anything up about what I or DH might be doing, because of course it won't be as important, fulfilling, or successful as what she is doing, I might out right respond, "Nothing." 

     Catty talk about my sister-in-law aside, I do wonder why I have always felt compelled to keep my plate so full, so busy? Do I feel like working full tome and raising kids wasn't enough? Do I feel guilty that I've had a relatively easy life in comparison to most people in the world, and feel like I need to pay my dues in numerous ways? Do I take on more and more because then I feel like I appreciate the down times the vacation of life more? Whatever my subconscious motivation, it if a fine time to stop putting  having a full and busy calendar as worthy of any pride. I suppose on one hand, it means I have a vibrant social circle and people want me around. But then I think about who  I enjoy spending time with the most, and that I really am not making enough time for them-which is silly. So there you have it. I'm going to pursue the worthiness of doing less, having more space, and generally embracing what life could be like without being run by a calendar. 

12 comments:

  1. The best decision you could make. You will feel so much better. It does take a little time to adjust, but so not let others influenc you and make you feel guilty, or less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ON Tuesday, DD2 and I literally did nothing of importance. Sure, I got a load or two of clothes done, we had meals of sort, we went for a walk. But we also read, napped, and watched stupid tv for a bit. It was glorious.

      Delete
  2. You have done a fantastic job raising three kids and now you are entitled to taking it easy and doing what gives you most pleasure. Please do not mind other people's judgment and do what you like best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't let her sideways comments impact my life. She says this as she has spent the last two days lounging and drinking at the lake. I'll rest and do nothing when it suits me and does not harm others.

      Delete
  3. For everything there is a season. Sister in laws be damned. IT is her season to be and obnoxious bit%^. She might be stuck in her season.... I think I stay busy out of guilt and habit. Something I am working on. You have done so well don't let others discourage you from being you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has never moved out of her season. It is the two sided comments-live and let live, but judging how I choose to live that annoys me. My mother-in-law is the same, but I let that roll because we are different generations.

      Delete
  4. Don't worry about what anyone but you thinks about your time and how you spend it. Your life, your time, your plan!
    I don't imagine at the end of life anyone wishes they had been busier with anything other than creating and maintaining their relationships with people they care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Ann. It makes me sad to think that I would be known by a packed meaningless calendar of cards, and circles, and teas. Instead, I hope people remember me for my friendship and caring, and not how busy I was.

      Delete
  5. One of the joys of learning to let go and relax in retirement was the "I do not have to fill my days". Monday I read a whole book, had lunch, made dinner, made my bed and went outside with the dogs and maybe walked five hundred steps. period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that-the joy of learning to let go and relax.

      Delete
  6. I was always ultra busy too but that's normal with a full-time job, long commute, 2 kids and a lazy husband. Now I'm retired I still have the guilty feeling as though I should be doing something all the time. I've slowed down a lot of course but if you are that way inclined it is difficult to "steal" time for yourself (because "stealing" is what it feels like). Good luck because I'm sure it will do you a world of good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to feel like we are stealing time because we literally just need to have a chance to do nothing but recoup, reflect, and relax is frustrating. I hope you find joy in your time, that is not stolen, but earned.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.