Saturday, August 24, 2019

Today is Her Last Day Home

The boxes are pretty much packed beside a few remaining items of laundry. DH is borrowing a bigger vehicle to help us not be cramped, though I had done measuring and planning and think we would have been OK in his Equinox. There's always bits and bobs more though. Her LP's take up an extra small crate, as she didn't want them packed with other things. She has her guitar and violin and a large garment bag for clothes she'll hang up, plus a makeshift garment bag if a garbage bag. She's using one of the two Ikea bags for her  dresser clothes. She has two chairs, the round disc chairs from Target, her TV, plus the mini fridge we originally bought for DS 12 years ago. There's a box of small appliances like an electric tea kettle, a bullet blender, hair dryer, and fan. She has a box with her bedding and towels, and one with her blanket made by our friend from church in her college colors with her school nickname embroidered on the corner. She has a box with items for her walls, the twine and cloths pins for her pictures, twinkle lights, and mementos from her travels.  

She really doesn't know what her roommate is bringing for the shared space other than a small table and it sounded like an X-Box that her dad won. Whether or not they have carpet for the floor or a microwave will depend on the roommate as DD2 didn't care about either. She has a small rug and thought they could pick up a larger rug from Target later if roommate doesn't bring and they decide it is needed. There is a microwave in the hall kitchen for use. I've noticed the roommate asks DD2 a lot of questions but hasn't really shared much about her packing. I guess they'll figure it out, but I know my bank account is now closed for all things dorm. 

We had a final curry night with DD1 last night. DH chose Thursday nights supper between tortellini and pork chops, knowing his dinner for last night was leftovers from Thursday since he does not like curry, and what he didn't select would be supper tonight. We'll have thin sliced pork chops with roasted apples and sweet potato wedges. We're having sketchy Internet issues lately so after supper was done and cleaned up ad pup was walked, DD2 and I went to DD1's and she installed her Office suite on her new computer. She left this morning for a weekend with friends so they said their goodbyes last night. It was quite emotional seeing this in reverse after four years of the older sister moving to college in the fall, a year in London, relocating to LA and two different move to Wisconsin. I'm so happy about the bond my children have between them-despite distance and age, they are there for each other at all times. 

A final book drop off at the library and a hair cut, and she physically will be ready to go. My guess is she will stop at her best friends for a while with a hug, though she will see her in just a couple weeks as they have a wedding up in the area. I'll do any remaining laundry  for a final tuck into her stuff. We'll pack up the truck after supper tonight, ready to hit the road by 6:00 a.m. Our goal is to have her completely moved unpacked (for the most part) and her bed set up by noon so we can grab some lunch, a check at the book store for the two books she hasn't been able to get yet, and be ready for the send of service by 2:30. Perhaps we'll stop for dinner on the way home-two empty nesters without a kid at home to get back to. DD1 is going to take care of the dog when she gets back to town, so he'll be fine as well. And so, tomorrow we officially enter the next stage of life. 

18 comments:

  1. I wish your DD2 a bright path on her new route. I am sure it will be a bit difficult for you and your husband to be an empty nester. I hope, you will start enjoying your new status soon knowing that, all your kids are doing great on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't posted an update-harder than I thought, but then work is really overwhelming after being gone, so I suppose that is good.

      Delete
  2. It's about giving our children roots and wings isn't it.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I feel for you! Time to face your new normal. I miss my daughter so much, it's actually painful sometimes and I cry quite a bit. She had a tough first week at her new job and I thought I'd have a stroke worrying about her. Hoping this week is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girl will find her way. Learning anew job, a new apartment-so much change. Mine is in a super supportive environment an dfor her, that is the right growing step.

      Delete
  4. I hope her journey is glorious! Wishing all of you the best as life transitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will lean on you all who have successfully launched all your kids and lived to tell the tale!

      Delete
  5. In an end there is a beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes that she will have a bright future, and a very good now.

      Delete
  6. Sending good thoughts to DD2 as she starts on such an exciting adventure. And, also to you & your husband, as you also embark on such a big life change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a new teen when I started this blog. You've all read about her growing up. I feel so much support.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure she'll have a blast - and you'll quickly settle into your new "normal" and enjoy your kids when they come back. I must be weird because when my boys said they were moving out I offered to help them pack!! Love my empty nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older daughter came over after work. We ate leftovers, talked, took the dog for a walk, and just hug out. I think this weekend I'll start putting the house, other than her room, into a place for two people, but with the doors always open.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. She is so shy, but evidence so far is that she is fitting in, and finding her place. Classes start Thursday. I'm trying to not text unless a response to her or something I need to communicate.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how exciting this time is for all of your family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday was good. I had tears of change-that is what I am calling them, but she looked at home.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.