Sunday, November 24, 2019

Meal Planning and Recap-Thanksgiving Week Edition

DH managed for the most part to stay out of the store while I was gone. Here was the plan for the week.

  • Sunday-Fall birthday meal at Sister-in-laws, bringing a green salad and a jello salad 
  • Monday- breaded chicken, stove top stuffing, mashed potatoes, and corn (specifically to have two meals of leftovers for DH, lunch and a supper)
  • Tuesday- I'm travelling so DH will be fend for himself from leftovers or choice of frozen options-pizza, sliders, pot pie, Hot pocket, or Chimichanga
  • Wednesday- DH, fend for himself
  • Thursday- DH, fend for himself
  • Friday- leftovers from Monday if DH didn't eat, or Chicken lo Mein and egg rolls
  • Saturday- probably a pasta dish
And what we ended up eating:

  • Sunday-Fall birthday meal at Sister-in-laws, bringing a green salad and a jello salad 
  • Monday- breaded chicken, stove top stuffing, mashed potatoes, and green beans, only chicken for leftovers as DH came home super hungry and ate three meals of potatoes and stuffing!
  • Tuesday-  DH fend for himself 
  • Wednesday- DH fend for himself
  • Thursday- DH fend for himself
  • Friday- Chicken , mushroom Alfredo with Spaghetti noodles
  • Saturday- Cheddar broccoli and tortellini soup
For the week ahead, there will be several, not sure yets but I put placeholders for ideas. Here's perhaps the plan.

  • Sunday-Birthday meal out after church, nibbled later since neither were hungry for a meal
  • Monday- DH leftover soup and a tuna sandwich
  • Tuesday- Frozen pizza and salad (I have to pick-up DD2 from a meeting point for her car pool))
  • Wednesday- Chicken cordon blues and rice
  • Thursday- Thanksgiving at my sisters, I'm bringing ham, sweet potatoes, and a veggie tray (with DD1)
  • Friday- leftovers
  • Saturday- Sloppy Joe's and assorted other food at friends get together
I'm making it a simple week. I hope. The friends get together is still being sorted, but Ill bring a big crock of Sloppy Joe's and buns. We might end up with multiple pizza days or another take out, but I want to make sure to use up leftovers or freeze in lunch size portions.  Who's cooking on Thursday and who's a guest? Do you do a more planned shared meal as we do in our family? Enjoy your meal planning. 

11 comments:

  1. We're having a slightly larger than normal Thanksgiving dinner, but nothing too extravagant. It will be just the four of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a special, but immediate family Thanksgiving. Since we will be at my sisters and literally dozens of people, it I quit chaotic, but more buffet, then cards, and football. I think I'll bring a football and soccer ball along for anyone that wants to do a post meal walk to the nearby field.

      Delete
  2. I am cooking, as always, but it's just our immediate family. It's a planned meal. About a week ahead of time, I ask if anybody has any special requests for a dish, but beyond that, our meal is fairly traditional. After the bird goes in the oven, DH and I head to Rite Aid. After dinner, DD and I set about decorating the house for Christmas. I wanted to start this week, as Thanksgiving is so late this year, but DD was having none of it! She (wisely) said that if I decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving, it takes away from Thanksgiving! Public school in M,T, 1/2 day Weds., but I doubt we'll send them--hard to get out the door at 6:30 a.m. when they'll be home just 3 hours later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am trying to not rush decorating, I spoiled the holiday excitement by cramming too many activities related to Christmas before Thanks giving. Three-four weeks is still plenty of time to enjoy my decorations.

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious. I like chicken cordon blue but don't think to make it very often. I used to buy it at Fresh Market where they made it ready to bake in the met department. I need to make it soon, my daughter would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheat on the codon bleu-they are premade, but tasty with a rice side and do we ever have rice sides.

      Delete
  4. I found a very good Sloppy Joe recipe if you wish it.
    I like the notion of 'fending for self'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have the final two frozen portions form my daughter grad party, so those will go in the crock pot. He did OK fending for himself.

      Delete
  5. T-day--hen, stovetop, giblet gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie. I doubt I have more energy to cook anymore. I might get a Turkey breast. I am at friend's still, so it will be just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like a very classic TG meal, and I'm sure it will be delicious and with leftovers.

      Delete
  6. Lil sis always does thanksgiving, but I do alot of the cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.