Sunday, November 10, 2019

Winning My H&G Game Despite the Rogue Shopper

     Thirty-two years of marriage, three kids, and a menagerie of furry friends, plus a lot of extended family. Rogue shopping is hardly an issue to lay down on a sword over with DH. Annoying yes, but I'm going to choose to embrace it and just accept that it is a little quirk  that I've learned seems to be quite common. Anne over at Cooking and All That Jazz describes her husbands store visits as recreational shopping. I get it; I am not always the most inspirational of cooks, but he doesn't exactly come home with great new things to try either. I could see if an expensive piece of fish or a some delectable deli treats made their way home, but for the most part, it's him finding "great deals" that he feels we'll use anyway. He did one of those shops on Thursday. He just wasn't hungry at lunch for any leftovers or soup and sandwich selections. 

     Off he went to see what he could find and bought a frozen Gyro sandwich kit. Well, he couldn't stop there as he saw a deal on 10 packages of the Knorr rice sides (you know the type I'm trying to not buy) for $9.00. Along with that, he got a free rotisserie chicken. Other items he picked up, that now I'm just going to incorporate into the meals, include a bag of frozen chicken breasts (I already have three portions of cooked and ready to use chicken frozen and did you notice I already mentioned a rotisserie chicken), two frozen portions of TGI Fridays spinach and artichoke dip, and 1/2 gallon of orange juice. This left me with only $20 for the rest of the November 8th shop. Never fear, I was resourceful. 

     We had a party with show choir alumni parents and friends last night and I needed ingredients for an appetizer and something sweet to bring along for the snacking. I used one of the cake mixes from my pantry and made chocolate cookies. For the app, I had pepper jack, turkey slices, and salsa, so with just  the purchase of cream cheese and large tortillas, I made little spicy roll-ups. A bottle of wine from our stock for the hostess gift (they provided all beverages), and used my H&G weekly balance to fill in the edges with the cream cheese and tortillas, with some more bananas (we still have apples from the orchard), oatmeal, milk, bread, and eggs and still have more than a tenner to spare going into next week. Friday we had the rotisserie chicken with one of the pasta sides and green beans. I made a chicken salad with most of the remaining meat which we'll have after church today, and of course, saved the  bones and any remainders to make soup, though it was just a very small batch. I'll freeze portions for lunches. So with that, here is the meal plan until Friday/Saturday when I next shop-mostly for fill in items for when I am away on a business trip and for a family birthday meal. 

  • Sunday-leftover pork loin, sliced thin in gravy with rice, corn, and crescent rolls
  • Monday-Homemade breaded Italian Chicken strips with  parmesan potato wedges 
  • Tuesday- Crock Pot three cheese pasta prima vera
  • Wednesday- Rice and bean burritos/ bowls with pepper jack cheese
  • Thursday- Chicken stir fry vegetables and broccoli rice
  • Friday- Leftovers or a take and bake pizza (new shop)
  • Saturday- Leftovers or Take and Bake pizza depending on what we did Friday


     I'll use $5-6 for the Take and Bake, but will have a generous $40+ for the shop on November 15th before doing the planning for Thanksgiving week shop. I'll probably donate many of the rice sides to the food bank as I know while not the healthiest options, they are items highly requested especially leading up to the school vacations and needing quick and easy meals for kids. We usually just do cash donations because their buying power goes far, but as we would already have this food, it's just additional. 

     I'm not going to change his behaviors, so best I just get over it and use what he buys. He was thinking of me, knowing I like rice as a side dish and thought these would be quick and easy (because you know boiling rice is so hard.) We'll just have to embrace that November is going to be a major poultry month, but I'll try breaking up the menu with some of the other items, particularly meatless ones like the pasta and burritos. What's cooking in your kitchen this week?

18 comments:

  1. I think it's hard on the person who (mainly or always) handles the finances when the other half does a "rogue shop". You make your plans and budget and then someone kinda torpedoes it! I know my ex did this but nowhere near as minimally as your husband does. He would come home with 2 cart loads of shopping on the rare occasion he went near the supermarket and then fume because we couldn't find room for everything (and a lot of it would be lost)! His thing was more big-time spending (like coming home one Saturday afternoon with a $60,000 car for himself). I know it's different levels of spending here but it's still hard when you haven't budgeted for this stuff. I guess your hubs was at least being thoughtful (if misguided)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I'll look past the $30 shop. Ouch, a car would be devastating.

      Delete
  2. My DH approaches the stores the same way I do. If he rogue shops, it's buying an in-store markdown or quick sale or close out on something. In fact, on the way home from the school drop off, he or I often poke around in our Kroger family store for just this reason. He's almost better at finding these specials than I. What he DOES do, as I've told you, is rogue dine. He rarely denies the kid's a request to grab a bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extra eating out would be hazardous to our budget.

      Delete
  3. Lol my husband is the one who buys the weird ingredients we will never use again. He is also the deli shopper who buys the high end pickles and cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey somebody has to keep the high end pickle and cheese purveyors in business! ;-)

      Delete
    2. But those treats make sense- rice packets?

      Delete
  4. I guess I am lucky that Hubs doesn't "do" grocery shopping of his own volition and if he is pressed to go to the store he must be provided with a detailed list, the approx. price and an exact location where said items are in the store.
    He will however go rogue in the liquor store and I think that's a worse habit(more expensive at least). lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would at least understand a liquor spending diversion.

      Delete
  5. Mine never shops without me but likes to wander the aisles when we go together. He doesn't drink tea but he had me buy some and I threw it away two years later, spearmint anyone? He cannot eat a lot of meats like pepperoni due to a food allergy so when he can, we buy some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sound mean don't I, begrudging him a little shopping.

      Delete
    2. No yo do not at all. Knowing you are watching your spending I would've happy.

      Delete
  6. dear me! not as much cooking here as in your house !
    I am not usually allowed to go to grocery stores lest I am distracted by shiny objects and hunger-induced purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, youngest has Scotland on the brain so trying to save a tad more.

      Delete
  7. This is not exactly the same thing. When we went in WM last year, he said he would help me. What number hair color did I want? I told him and later he was sitting in front of the register, saying he bought me 3 boxes and paid for them. I just thanked him because I was stunned.

    Now that I am living in his house, when I buy groceries, I ask him is there anything he wants. Last time, he told me to get a large bag of chips. !!! I may not ask him again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair color can get pricey. That was kind. Why won't you ask again because he wanted chips?

      Delete
  8. Hubs rarely shops and when he does it is mostly veggies and fruit. He just walked upstairs with 2 boxes of my .25 cents cereal.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.