Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Favorite Supermarket Finds For the Holidays


   
     
     I started this post weeks ago before we learned more about DH's blood pressure and the restrictions. I'll need to add and modify what ends up in my cart, or at least what I serve him based on a lot of label reading. However, I still think much of this post applies. I'm relying on help for my food preparations this year. Well, I usually relay on some items, but this year even more as I have had  pretty much all preparations fall on my shoulders. Grocery stores are regional, different options, but most have items that are fairly staple and can help stretch time while not ruining a thrifty budget. I'm using stores in my area, but also a list of general convenience items that you can sub out what is available locally.

Trader Joe's
  • Olive Tapenade
  • Pilak Paneer 
  • Spinach Artichoke Dip 
  • Kalamata Olives
  • Bruschetta topping-this was pretty low sodium
  • Sparkling lemonade-work do, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day
  • Cinnamon rolls (and are accidentally vegan so we will have Christmas morning with fruit, juice and coffee)
Aldi
  • Goat Cheese logs (A bit cheaper than at TJ's and just as good)
  • Salad Kits (these are nearly $5 in my local grocery stores and rarely on sale for under $4, but just $3 all the time at Aldi)
  • mini naan bread
  • Crescent rolls-use for a lot of appetizers and they are at least 20% less than Pillsbury even on sale and with coupons
  • Creamed soups-at $ .49 every day price, i am definitely using these to help my prep this year (sorry though that these, even the reduced sodium, are way to loaded with extra salt)
Any store-but see where the best deals are 
  • Pre-made meatballs-use a store brand BBQ, or the sweet and savory sauce I like, grape jelly and ketchup. It sounds weird but is very tasty
  • No Name brand or comparable salmon and steaks-even I can make these desite not being much of a fish or steak eater myself. Ok-these I'm going to need to check the  label closely to see if they add additional salt. 
  • Cookie mixes-I buy Betty Crocker Peanut butter for my peanut blossoms and save a lot of time, and these are on sale regularly at the holidays and make a decent amount
  • Cranberry Ginger-Ale, so festive as a mixer with or without alcohol
  • Big bags of mixed vegetables
  • Assorted store brand cheese-Cube or slice with a fancy slicer, so quick to put out with olives and crackers
     These are some of the things I have already or will buy. Besides cooking a nice full meal on Sunday, I'm bringing meatballs and a crescent roll based appetizer on Christmas eve, and  hot vegetables and a different crescent roll appetizer for Christmas day. I've decided to make chicken drumsticks, and am researching some punchy seasoning for them. Sure, I would love to create a spread that knocks peoples socks off, but taking advantage of pre-made items that I just need to open and  serve, or mix with just a few ingredients will help me feel more in control this year. What favorites do you use to help with you holiday prep work? 


3 comments:

  1. Ketchup is heavy on the salt but Heinz and Hunt's both make a No-Salt added version(the Heinz one has a salt alternative in it and it's pretty good as I've used it). Check out my low-salt sloppy joe recipe too.... just search in the box on my blog.

    If he's a tea drinker DH should add decaf tea/or decaf coffee for those who drink coffee into his regime too. Caffeine is also bad for those with heart issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having to watch either your own or your DH's health certainly changes your attitude towards cooking doesn't it. We were pretty poor but one of my favourite meals was "neck end of lamb with dumplings". All the fat in the lamb made that the best stew in the world! And then dad had his first heart attack and high cholesterol and that dish went out the window! Still, it's worth it as your health is so important. And merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bringing chicken salad with me to a family get together on Monday. I have all the supplies on hand including dried cranberries and pecans, so it will be a fancy one. They do finger foods at this particular family get together, so this works. I'm also making a chocolate cake to bring. It's just a boxed cake mix and frosting, but it will be easy to do and that works for me this year.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.