Monday, January 13, 2020

Monday Thoughts and Thankful for Readers

     I love the amount of comments I am getting lately, and so many great ideas and if no suggestions, some good commiseration! I had an OK weekend, despite the horrific Vikings game and  issues with pups grooming. His anxiety around it only allowed them to complete half and now he has a silly lion cut, but he is clean and sleek. We have a referral for a groomer/vet, read cha ching, that specializes in highly stressed dogs. We don't know if it was because his last few big grooming's were done  at the same time as procedures in which he had  some sedative and he forgot what grooming is, but it was awful. They didn't charge, though I gave them a good tip. The groomer said as soon as they gave up the ghost and stopped, he was back to being happy, and just sat at one of their feet until we got back. 

     Neither DH or I slept well last Saturday night, and I was slow moving Sunday morning. We didn't make it to church, and did a few things around the house. He went to the gym, and after lunch, I ran to Walmart. I have gotten so used to Aldi prices on groceries, Walmart seems expensive. There were other things we needed though, like DH needed socks and another pair of pajama pants, so going to Walmart saved a second stop. We had nonfood items too like toothpaste, razers, and Kleenex, that count in the monthly target. I spent a total of $46 on the H&G items, and another $19 on the clothing items for DH. My H&G spending is now $337 with a balance of $63 until the end of January. Yikes-that got tight in a hurry, but I am in use it up mode, as I shared yesterday. We also bought multi packs of Kleenex and tooth paste, a 10 pack of razers (two months worth), and there was a huge package of chicken at $1.99 a pound, over 5  pounds worth so I'll not need to buy next week. These were the first clothing items purchased in the new year. I stopped at the Dollar tree for Bridal Shower Invites and Thank you's for the bride, but those are in my gift category. I want to track these other categories-that will cure my January blues as nothing I like more than tedious math and accounting. 

     I made a decision to make Monday nights a library night. After I get pup out for his walk, get a simple dinner made, it should still be only around 7:00 and the library is open until 8:30. That will give me a routine, plus encourage me to read more. Unfortunately we picked a book club book not yet in the library, but I am splurging and have ordered it and there was a special price yesterday so it only came to $8.00. DD1 will read as well so that shares the cost. I haven't paid for a book yet as DD1 bought first book and all others were in the library, so a minor entertainment expense. I also got a little gift ordered for DD2 to arrive in her school mail box tomorrow, her 19th birthday. We'll bring a gift up in February as well and take her for a late birthday meal. Her sister took her out the Sunday before she went back to school and I'm sure she'll have some fun with friends. 

     Life is taking on a sort of hum again. While winter will still be long, my blogging community keeps me connected. Keep the comments coming. Share what you are reading. Share what you are cooking or any great clothing deals you have come upon. Heck, I'll love for you to just say hello, and I'll be back tomorrow. 



15 comments:

  1. I am thankful for you friend. Love reading your adventures. Keep posting.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures I guess are in the eye or mind of the beholder. I like that sentiment though as life is an adventure.

      Delete
  2. It's my last week in the office before two weeks of travel, so should be pretty crazy. We are focused on getting our 2020 plans ready for presenting & sharing next week in Tokyo. Plus, my husband is traveling, which makes things that much crazier. Luckily, the kids only have one after school activity this week, and I think I have a ride for them.

    I'm trying to avoid clothing deals, and one of my major goals for 2020 is to seriously limit my clothing purchases. I'm excluding running shoes, because those naturally wear out & are good for my health. Otherwise, I'm hoping to spend next to nothing. We'll see.

    Cooking wise. I'm hoping to turn a Keto mozzarella chicken dish from the weekend into chicken parm sandwiches for the kids tonight. The adults will likely eat it as is, or over cauliflower rice if desired.

    If you like carnitas, i love this recipe. https://chefsavvy.com/crispy-slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good pair of walking shoes is on my list this year as well. I have to stop neglecting my feet.

      Delete
  3. I think library night is a great idea. We had a HUGE library in my home town (big city actually) and it was wonderful just to wander up and down - like being in little piggy heaven. I've missed that over here as I'm really not interested in reading in French anyway and the libraries in any case are small and provincial, so count yourself very fortunate to have that wonderful resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hours changed to closing at 8:00 from 8:30 so it was a quick visit. I checked out one novel, and some organizing books. Oh, also they had the season 3 of the Swedish/Danish show, the Bridge. I have a week to watch the episodes. I hope in the system is season four as well.

      Delete
  4. I want to join a book club, but the one I investigated only takes members when another leaves and the limit is 20 people. And, they have to vote on the new member. Sounds like a person can be blackballed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to just put a call out to whoever in my community, via Next Door, and we sort of just formed one. Do you use Facebook? Even just a small group of 3-4 is ample.

      Delete
  5. My best clothing deal was a tan Women's Tommy Hilfiger zip up sweat jacket in size small at the thrift shop. It would have been $2.50 purchased individually, but I tucked it in a bag of about half a dozen men's cotton shirts, which I am using for a quilt which has been requested, and got the $5/bag price.
    Like Hawaii Planner, I need a new pair of running shoes--haven't actually run in a long time due to a hip issue though, so I've been holding off. I made a $$$ purchase of a new leather recliner, so I don't want to spend a thing on myself.
    Snow here--college cancelled, public school open. DH just came back from dropping off youngest and said that while our island is fine, it is blizzard conditions in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to sound like a broken record, but with tuition, the Roth, and out little Vegas trip next fall, every dime has to do its job, so I hear you on the furniture purchase. Snow again here, so I'm going in a little later, and hope the plows and sanding rucks are out.

      Delete
  6. Now I am curious about the title of your current book club book.
    Our bookclub still meets monthly but with the holidays coupled with the fact that all of us have parents we are seeing after, so we have been a little lax on the actual reading part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is Drowning with Others by Linda Keir. My sister found it on book club recommendations-not sure what site. Please share if you have any good conversation books. Little Fires Everywhere was a good one to discuss.

      Delete
  7. I think I will start a library night, I used to read all the time and I have allowed netflix to take over. Can you believe that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it because I a there=I didn't know the library shortened its hours though, so need to plan that into my next outing. Not much browsing time.

      Delete
  8. I read an article recently (no idea where), that a new book club has formed. They get together for 1 hour and read. They each read their own book. They love it over the "book club" model popularized this century.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.