Thursday, January 23, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Little Fiscal Victories

     When I'm trying to just not spend, there's isn't a lot of ways to save extra money. Saving time and resources is just as important and I've lots to learn and practice in all three areas. Here's a few for the week.
Time
 
  • I used the four hours I had while pup was at the vet/groomer to get several home admin things done, and do some leg work on a few blog posts. I didn't waste time driving back home but found a McDonald's that was not busy, I would not have taken up hours in a crowded place.
  • With the weather dicey on Friday into Saturday, I pretty much just stayed put. I was a bit under the weather so let myself just rest. We had a nice quiet movie night with homemade Chicken noodle soup and tuna sandwiches.
Resources 

  • I used up two stalks of wilting celery in my vegan chili. I had bought fresh, but these were salvageable so why waste since they would be cooked down. I added the last of a last leg pepper as well.
  • I salvaged the cinnamon roll dough when bread maker stopped. I was worried it would not rise, but while more dense, we had fresh bakery over the weekend. I admit, I did throw a few out as I ended up not getting part of the dough froze as I was planning to do.
  • We'll see how this goes. I attended a lunch seminar on organic recycling. We are going to have a division discussion about whether we start or not. It would take a few of us willing to bring the organize home each night. This is on my list to do, but was going to wait for spring. Minimally, I could start a holding place and bring to the drop off site. Stay tuned. I know this still will not work for pups poo bags-that is just going to remain landfill even in the biodegradable bags.
Money 

  • My stop at McDonald's was much less than my original impulse to go to Panera. I had already had coffee so a $10 Diet Coke and $10 breakfast sandwich was cheap rent for the table.
  • With pup getting his fur cut very short, I looked at pet sweaters and jackets. All they had were pull over-a deal breaker for him, plus were very expensive I skipped it, but later when taking him out, I made a sort of cape with an old sweater of DD2's that I just had to button. He wasn't happy about it either, but since it was so cold and snowy, I wanted something while he still was not feeling he best.
  • Both DD2 and I had off Monday. We planned lunch together, but rather than going out, I made the vegan chili. I sent a bowl home with her so she would have something in her freezer next month when she gets home as she works the next day. DH got supper out of it, and I've two more lunches. I took the chance on old chili powder as I had run out and it seemed just fine, but need to add to my shopping list now.
  • This needs to be the norm but again I packed all lunches, snacks, and coffee at home or in a travel mug for work.
  • We had our low cost dinner theater outing. We shared an appetizer, I had a beer, and my mother-in-law had a grasshopper for intermission, her treat she likes to have there. While we tip on the dinner and additional items, dinner theater, complete with a very enjoyable professional quality production was only $35 for the three of us. Thank you again Chanhassen Dinner Theater for hosting the MN Blogger Bash back in October!


     Pups vet and grooming bill was eye watering, but necessary. I bought a couple new grooming tools to help us sensitize him to grooming so we hopefully can do more traditional grooms again in the future. We'll keep him brushed and furinated and the fur/hair out of his eyes ourselves, and if DH can manage, perhaps the clippers, if we do before it gets too long again. e is better with us, though it is still a battle. That's my recap for the week. How was your week in thrift?

10 comments:

  1. Great thrifty wins. Grooming and the vet are expensive but our pooches give a lot back too. My thrifty moves this past week were to shop Goodwill for some extra dinner plates and mugs for a party we have planned. I'm borrowing some cooking equipment I don't have and don't want to purchase. Meals at home and walks for exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is my baby, so I'll do what he needs. I'm in need of some dress pants and blouses/button up shirts for my "suit" days. I think I'll hit up a couple Goodwill this weekend.

      Delete
  2. We had paper recycling at work which was a very good thing because our reports were HUGE with many drafts. On occasion I bought some shredded paper home too as it can go in the compost. I think it's a great idea and you should push for it at work as it's a start right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mixed item recycling is going well at work. this organic recycling is a whole new ball game. We rent and the building company won't let us do a compost heap/bin,though we have several little garden plots. It would be a nice move if we end up staying put but there is a chance we may relocate by 2021 when our lease is up.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you did very well. My biggest tip is make menus using the grocery ads unless you just shop Aldi! I went to 3 stores this AM and got a few bargains- didn't even spend $60 so you know I didn't buy a lot. I also like to make my own'TV' dinners I freeze for the times when I don't feel like cooking or want a sandwich. I've been buying pyrex containers for a couple of years so I have quite a few I can use. I just took one out this AM to have for lunch- turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy. I find baking a turkey breast every few weeks is very frugal. I get good stock and white low calorie meat for sandwiches or casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do most shopping at Aldi, but will make stops for loss leaders. Often those are high salt and processed stuff, which I'm trying to avoid. I love when I have leftovers for lunch.

      Delete
  4. I think your idea of making a sweater for the dog out of an old one of yours is priceless. Would have loved to have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't even "made. I left the sleeves wrong side so they didn't flap all over and just sort of put on him like a cape. He wasn't a fan, but next time I use it I'll try and snap a picture. It is warm today and he didn't mind a little coolness.

      Delete
  5. good for you! Clever!

    I too feel a satisfaction using up bits of old food somehow rather than into the rubbish with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's three fold-save money, not waste, and have something tasty for a dreary lunch day.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.