Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Resuming Regular Blogging

     I appreciate all of you who read, commented, and stuck in with me. I plan to resume regular blogging tomorrow, blither, blather, unimportant stuff of life that has been part of this blog for gosh, 6 years now. I need my morning outlet back. It felt good getting back on my blog reading list and catching up. I love reading about your gardens, and new recipes, little bargains you have found, and ways you are economizing. I like reading how you are all making the most of the Stay at Home, and slowly reopening, and if you are or are not expanding your circles. My regular blogging will be back tomorrow and we can exchange the tea on the stuff of life. 

     I'm trying to live the world events, doing what I can in the ways I can. Mostly my job has had major focus in both COVID19 and equity. I say equity, not equal-do not mistake treating people equally as treating people as they should be. I think of everything I have in my life of material goods. They originated for the most part from the sweat and labor of others-most likely  many severely underpaid, over burdened, and potentially in unsafe conditions.The same people who during the COVID19 crisis are the most impacted, but heaven forbid that an extra $600 a week, for a relatively short period of time, will be more than their regular wages. Not to mention that that additional $600 per week will go toward food, and clothing, and electricity, and the stuff of life. It won't be buying more of their own companies corporate stocks, or tucked in a money market to save towards retirement, as many won't ever be able to retire. Then, come next spring, if they happen to get back on their feet, they get to pay taxes on that unemployment anyway, so they better make sure to keep some behind so they aren't sucker punched come April 15th, 2021. 

     I think about my house and the land it sits on. We bought it from my sisters law firm, who acquired it through the builders foreclosure. The builder got the land from someone else.I don't remember if this particular lot was part of the adjacent farm fields, but was owned by farmers. Most likely, the farmers were generational, inheriting the land from their father, grandfather, even great grandfather as my community is one of the oldest settlements in Minnesota. I can guarantee you though that original farm owner did not  make a deal with the Wahpekute directly, who originally were the inhabitants at my street address. Someone in the name of manifest destiny claimed this land for the United States. to learn more about the original inhabitants of your current home you can visit https://native-land.ca/.

     I wonder how my grand children will be taught about 2020? How will history books describe, shape, and form discussion questions for the students of tomorrow? I hope they are left with  knoledge and tools to really make a better world. 




8 comments:

  1. There is no justice throughout the world when the top 1% of the world's population own how much of the wealth? I'm not sure those figures are right but you get my meaning. And yes it's not right that people work in sweatshops in India, China or even the US for a pittance while we live so well. But in the end, we can't change the world can we. We can only do our bit to try to change the little things that we can to make the world very, very marginally a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do what I can for equity, and sustainbility. No to fast fashion, and fast goods. I'm not always the best-I can tell you my share of Amazon packages have come my way, but when doable, small stores will be my go to,or second hand.

      Delete
  2. It's been a real struggle lately. Some topics are harder to both process & truly understand, and even harder to talk about. I tend to shy away, which is not the right thing. Having teen kids means that I need to be able to comfortably talk about what's happening in the world, and explain why these topics need to be addressed, debated, discussed & improved.

    It's very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard is an understatement, and having teenage kids who soon in a blink will be navigating hte adult world, it is essential.

      Delete
  3. You have had to go through a lot this year SAM. So many changes and living in a scary environment. Take care of yourself and hang in there, I care so much about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more tahan anyone else. I don't know anyone who hasn't faced job insecurity somewhere in their family, or shares the worries. If someone told me these things had no impact, even mental health wise, I would ask them to really think about it.

      Delete
  4. I will tell my kids were young after 911 and our schools never mentioned it ever. Can't image too much will be said about the virus or how we treat other humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blows my mind. Again, I was working in a setting at the 9-11 time with mnay persons of muslim faith, and know the hatred they dealt with.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.