Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The Wednesday Pantry

     I'm slightly switching up my Wednesday posts to go beyond exploring my daughter pantry and her various vegan recipes and favorites. I'll add more vegan and vegetarian options as new recipes are developed and shared I like the premise of the posts though, using things that generally are around a persons pantry or freezer to create yummy meals or snacks. Last month at Aldi I finally bought a box of all purpose baking mix, like bisquick but for at least 30% less. I used to buy Bisquick, but stopped decades ago, though not sure why. It is a very versatile  box to have on hand. I'll still bake from scratch, but in a pinch, this is a great help. 



     The following is more a kitchen experiment than a recipe but the result was two small loaves of muffin bread that was absolutely delicious. I used up a frozen banana, tossed in the freezer with the peel still on when past its eating prime, strawberries that were getting soft, and the last spoonful of strawberry yogurt, plus a bit more milk. 

1 Cup baking mix
1/3 Cup sugar
1/3 approximate cup of milk
1/2 cup approximate of  yogurt
1 thawed frozen mushed bananas
7 or so medium sized strawberries, sliced

     I mixed it all together and poured in two sprayed small/petite bread pans, sprinkled with sugar and baked at 350 for about 30 minuted, until a knife came out clean.

     I should have let them cool a bit before turning out, because the strawberries and heat made the loaf settle since the berry juice was not solidified yet, but eaten with a spoon, it was so good. DH and I shared one loaf and saved the other for our daughter. She ate a chunk after work and finished the next day for her breakfast. 

     I think pumpkin and spices in place of the banana and strawberry will be great this fall, or even some leftover butternut squash. I could see using up applesauce, homemade or the jar version. I imagine it could be baked in a 8 X 8 square pan as more of a coffee cake. Speaking of squash, this could also be made into more of a savory bread by cutting the sugar back to perhaps just a couple teaspoons, and adding things like garlic, and  oregano. The back of my box gives some basic recipes, but if you have even a general baking knowledge, you can modify and shift with good results. I would highly suggest if you don't keep baking mix in your pantry, particular if you don't like to waste little bit of food, you consider keeping it on hand. 

16 comments:

  1. I bought some Bisquick last fall, and finally put the whole box into a freezer bag and put it in the freezer. You made good use of fruit about to go. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ijust hate waste and wow did I get something nice in return.

      Delete
  2. You can make your own Bisquick/baking mix. It's just 4 cups flour, 2 TBSP baking powder, 2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/2 cup shortening pulsed in a food processor. It will keep in a container in the pantry--it doesn't need to be refrigerated.
    Yesterday evening, Girl came inside and noted it was getting chilly. It had dropped to about 55 degrees Fahrenheit. DD and I were on our way out to pick the first of the blackberries. I almost decided to wait, but figured being out in the cold would make me sleep well. We picked for about 30 minutes, and then I came in and baked a blackberry pie. As I was cleaning up the kitchen around 9 p.m., Girl came out, and was incredulous that I made the pie so quickly. She wanted a slice, but it was still bubbling hot. I have about two pints left, and will probably bake scones for a quick bread for breakfast. The three of us will probably go out later in the week and pick more berries when they become more prolific. Blackberries are so forgiving. If I don't have the energy to use them right away, they go straight into a gallon zip-loc bag, and into the freezer. Our favorite thing to do with them is to make jam, and blackberry syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. As I said in the post anyone can make ther own mix, but if they don't want to, the baling mix is a pretty darn affordable way to get home baked items out quick. I often make jam with the odds and end fruits left in the freezer-it's like a surprise in a jar! I envy your access to the berries-yum.

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious and true you can mix it up in the fall. I wonder if pancake mix would work? I used to buy Bisquick all the time too and then quit when they came out with the pancake mix that you just add water to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made muffins once with pancake mix and it was good. Less liquid than pancakes. It's all the same stuff relaly isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I love anything that is versatile. After seeing your earlier post about the Aldi alternative to baking mix, I intended to get some when I went earlier in the week. Dang it, I forgot and now I have to wait until the next time I go to make this bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get totally lost with US recipes because even though I know what bisquick is we can't get it here. And more often than not I have to look up the item anyway, even though I lived in the US for 4 years. Mind you, my former Canadian boss was telling me one time how difficult they found it adapting to Europe and no more "a cup of this and a stick of that", so I guess it works both ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll copy Meg b's recipe for homemade baking mix, but in US measurements. 4 cups flour, 2 TBSP baking powder, 2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/2 cup shortening pulsed in a food processor. It will keep in a container in the pantry--it doesn't need to be refrigerated. The good thing is once you mix it up, you do not need to again until you run out. I sent my daughter American measuring cups and sppons when she went to college at Kingston University.

      Delete
  6. I love biscuik, but don't buy it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how versatile it is-grab and an instant side or treat.

      Delete
  7. I've not heard of Bisquik but your reply to Treaders with your daughter's recipe makes it all clear. I like the sound of the savoury loaf with squash. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe was posted by a reader in the comments and it is a once one ot have on hand if someone wants to make up a batch. I thought about a savory biscuit (not cookie) or loaf with a hearty soup or stew when the weather turns.

      Delete
  8. Never have bought Bisquik or any baking mix but I'm not one for bread or biscuits except a crusty bakery roll for a sub or homemade cinnamon rolls. I have made biscuits a couple of times for sausage gravy but that's it. This week has been a really inexpensive one for me- I made a large pot of taco soup Friday and I finally finished it up. Don't mention it again LOL. I went to Aldi Tuesday for my 4th shopping trip since March and spent $149 so now I have fresh greens yay. I was missing a good salad and I have blue cheese for homemade dressing (sour cream, mayo, lemon juice). I forgot some things at Aldi since I don't carry my purse or a list (CC in my pocket with car keys). I might go back next Tuesday- PB, citrus if not recalled, and a few non necessities. We still don;t know if GS will be going away for freshman year of college but he did pay for his dining plan. He is scheduled to live in the dorm with 1 roommate but they have a communal bathroom which scares my daughter and me. Does your daughter's college have a good plan in place? It seems like a campus apartment would be safer but GS is hoping to meet new friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm comfortable enough with her colleges plan, and more so with her in the dorm she is in has more wings than a long floor like last year. Her wing is pretty much her friends, who she will end up being like a household I'm sure. I figure in the bathroom. It all though does feel like a big science experiment.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.