Friday, September 18, 2020

My World of W's

     

My daughters artful sunflower-just because.

     On Fridays I've been trying to sum up the monotony of my life right now with a collection of W's.  Besides the WORLD, what other w's are on my brain this Friday?

What's top of mind: My kids! I'm happy that after some quickly inflating positive numbers, the Covid test counts at my daughters school have slowed down. She is so busy with maximum credit load plus some other virtual organizations. She is starting to research opportunities for internships. My son has been able to  do some commercial work, though has said a lot of shots get cancelled when someone test positive. He doesn't have close contact any requirements for health and safety are very strong so hopefully he can maintain enough employment to at least pay the bills. He's doing his own things as well, that could reap rewards when life maybe returns to more order, when fire and disease is managed. My older daughter has taken on a few freelance projects in addition to her job, plus is moving a non-profits arts organization forward. Gee, these millennial and Gen Z's-so much for stereotypes.

Where I've been: I've
 written plenty about getting to the band concert and church, and a walk in a count park outside of town, but otherwise other than walks and bike rides. I haven't gone anywhere this week. I may run this morning to get a few basics.

Where I'm going: My daughter and I are going to walk downtown by the river after work and may treat ourselves to a beverage. It will depend on the size of people outside. She has her cousin coming later afternoon, but  first thing we will do a swing by the farmers market and then to one of the local apple orchards. We're signed up for outside church on Sunday. 

What I'm watching: We watched the sad Vikings game on Sunday and plan to again this week, though if it is nice, I'll likely  be trying to do other things while it is on. I'm watching a few YouTube videos of  people travelling again-mostly to Greece. I am worried they will have a huge rise in cases and am thinking of people I virtually know. 

What I'm reading: I set aside The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and will just bring to the cabin when we take our vacation week. I'll finish up my daughter and friends screen play this weekend. I reread sections to make sure I understand as it is not a familiar read style to me. Sort of like when we read plays in high schools-I was challenged with them. I still have a back log of book marked articles forwarded by work colleagues.

What I'm listening to: Pretty much every day, I stream BBC World Service. I tune in when it works to the state updates. I don't think I listened to any pod casts in the last week. 

What I'm eating: I've been cooking meals based on my farmers markets buys. Last night I made a cottage pie, last nights dinner with the last of Sunday's roasted vegetables, and stuffed peppers, that will be reheated for tonight. I did a crock pot pasta and a semi successful pizza bake (which I think I know how to later to make it fully successful next time.) As I shared in the resources section of Thrifty Thursday, I've used ingredients from one meal into another to try and ensure no waste and add variety. 

Who I'm paying attention to: Beside Covid cases, and politics, which try as I might I can't get away from,I'm not sure I'm really paying attention to a few things in local news, like a bar/restaurant in town fined heavily for OSHA violations, supposedly stemmed form incorrect mask use. Something tells me there is much more to the history of the establishment and violations, and the mask  might be a red herring. There is a lot of chatter about it and Go Fund Me set up for the fine.

What I'm planning:  Our community is having a conversation next Thursday as part of a series on equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging. It will be based on the film about the late US House Representative John Lewis titled Good Trouble. My daughter at school is planning to watch the film, but she has class on Thursday night, ironically, a one credit humanities class on racism in America. I'm starting lists for our week off work, just 11 more work days for me!

I am loving that we are back to 70's which means cool nights for sleeping. I do miss the height of summer, but since this summer felt like such a hot sticky bust, I'm OK with it moving on. I need to log in soon for work, but we have no milk for my coffee so deciding if I will run to the store quick or drink it black, We have no bread for DH's sandwiches, but he could just bring a wrap instead. Oh the decisions to make. Please share your w's in the comments if you'd like. I'll be back later tomorrow with the Days of Social Distancing post. I appreciate the feedback I have had and it is fun to try an incorporate more pictures. Who knows, I might start adding days.

21 comments:

  1. Love your W's post. Glad the weather is getting better for you. It's not too bad for me either, we'll be in the high 80's today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70;s and sun are perfect for September. Its actually a bit cooler righ tnow than I'd like but sunny.

      Delete
  2. Love the "w"s & think it's awesome you get to see your daughter regularly. I'm thrilled to have the day off today, which is much needed after a crazy, crazy week. I'm planning a long hike this morning (yay for healthy air again) & then relaxing this afternoon.

    Otherwise, we have minimal things on the agenda for the weekend, but I'll clean the house & prep us for the week ahead, food wise. I used a free referral to try a meal delivery service. While I'm skeptical, it was free, so I'll try it out & see if it's something we enjoy during particularly crazy work weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy for you as well-enjoy th ehike and the ability to breath well. I heard form my son this week a bit and he seemed a bit more upbeat, though he has been so impacted by all the volatility. I am curious to see how people like the meal delivery kits. They just seem so expensive per serving, and some days DH eats for two!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad things are starting to pick up for your son. It's been a long time for him to have such limited income. And thanks for the book recommendation. I finally got smart and now download a sample to my kindle before I decide if I want to buy a book as I was spending so much before. The reviews on Amazon are mixed - but the ratings are mainly excellent so we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His income will remain limited, but if he can at least pay rent, transportation, student loan, and food, we'll consider him good. So far he has managed on his own with no bank of family. I will likely get a couple library books-but I better request now!

      Delete
  4. I love this post! Our air quality has improved somewhat, but there's still smoke around. It is still unhealthy for sensitive groups. As a mild asthma sufferer, I can tell you that by yesterday afternoon, I was worried that I'd have to make a visit to an emergency clinic, it was becoming that noticeable. I'm planning mostly indoor activities for the weekend as a result.
    Happy Friday!!! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad for you all impacted. Of all things you can't control is the air we breath. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Glad things are smooth your way or becoming smoother. As a mom I know we worry about our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, smoother, but I will keep hoping for progress.

      Delete
  6. Pleased that your family are doing okay. It's a relief to hear that they are isn't it? I read the other day that a parent is only as happy as their unhappiest child. How true that is. KL's quarantine ends at midnight so we'll be able to go out for breakfast tomorrow. I'll pick up some things I need for a project and hopefully get that done over the weekend. I need to process some fruit and veg from the allotment too, and look for a good deal on a chest freezer. We've decided to get another as Brexit is looming and it will doubtless me an unmitigated disaster, on top of covid.The UK government is shambolic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a relief, but it sees only for moments and I go back to worry. You all have Brexit and now we have a Supreme Court battle again. I'm happy you can go to your cafe again-enjoy.

      Delete
  7. The end of the workweek for my husband (grateful he is fortunate enough to have work to go to), the wonder and beauty of the leaves already changing, the slight warmth the sun still provides and the determination of the growth of the weeds in our back yard. (this year has given us the tallest, thickest most prolific weed growth ever, and a constant battle, although the bees love them) Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is why we live in Minnesota, right Rae! We get these days that are so perfect weather wise, it would be hard to imagine living elsewhere. Thanks for the reminder-I migh thave to book mark your comment for January.

      Delete
    2. I might need to refer back to it myself. January, I'm still good but as it morphs into February and March with no sign of Spring, I get a little bit frustrated and yet, when we get that pretty snowfall, and the sun shines on it, it's hard to stay mad. Ranee

      Delete
  8. We are now down to 80s each day. It makes going to car and small chores outside easier. It is cool enough and my car is out of the carport, so I can put my floormats in today. It is 80 here at noon, so it will get hotter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 is still very hot in my book, but if you humidity is lower, that's a plus.

      Delete
  9. Love your W post! So glad the numbers are down at your daughter's school. It sounds like you are having such beautiful weather there, still icky hot here in Florida. I still can't tear myself away from virus and political news either - even though it like watching a bad train wreck! Have a great walk down by the river and enjoy the weekend! Thanks so much for your comment on my post too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a really good evening, but came home to the sad news.

      Delete
  10. I like you W list on Friday, Sam. I love the sunflower photo. :)

    Here is my W for the day...

    I try and watch Clear Value Tax channel on Youtube once a day to get updated on the 2nd stimulus package.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCigUBIf-zt_DA6xyOQtq2WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I don't know if I took it or her friend, because obviously she couldn't have taken it herself as those are her hands. It makes me smile. I'll have my husband check out that channel. I heard something about stimulus for families with children under 17.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.