Thursday, October 1, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Not Afraid of Saving

     Well September sure was a speedy month! I feel like with labor day being so late, it was only a three week month. October brings us many chances to both spend and save-it's scary how much money can leek that we aren't even aware of. I'm on the hunt for  sale prices on Halloween Candy. If there is not traditional Trick or Treating, perhaps a few neighbors might want to gather outside and have grab bags for the kiddies. I've got time to think on that. 

    Speaking of scary, extra expenses last month was a $300  service call for the furnace/air unit. While the cleaning and  health check were free, we had issues last year with the furnace not starting on it's own when the house temp dropped. Well, it would have been over a $600 expense, but the actual part that needed replacing was under warranty. Free cleaning, but $300 labor, and a new part that should hold us a while. See what I mean about leaking? Since July, we have bought a new water heater, had a damaged pipe, and now a furnace repair, to the tune of over $3,300. DH also suspects his first paycheck in October will be a small one. Property taxes are paid this month, but we  created our own account once the hosue was paid for and we no longer had an escrow, so that's a known and planned expense. 

     Knowing at any time other contributions to the household money pit can occur, it makes sense for me to keep looking for ways to be thrifty with  how I spend my time, resources, and money, maintaining control even when other thing may be out of my control. I can't know when the unexpected will occur, but I know enough to know something will come up. I don't want to live in fear.

      Time 

  • It was nice to see our friends with the make shift gathering in their garage with the doors open, socially distanced and sitting on our own chairs. Stopping by and seeing my sisters for an hour afterwards, also outside, was nice as well. I had a good talk earlier in the day with one sister about my anxiety and stress about being in social circles inside. she completely understood and was supportive. 
  • Another horrible Vikings game, but the cool weather was perfect for a bike ride. I even biked to the store for bakery buns for the leftover pulled pork, and found two cans of pumpkin, apparently the latest item to be difficult to find. This will get me four batches of pumpkin bread-some for this weekend to bring to DD2, I'll freeze 1/2 the can for later in the month, and I'll save the other can for November. I'll pick up more if I see it in the tore this month as well. 

Resources
  • No more to be said about the spaghetti, but we had no waste!
  • We used up the pork loin from last week, and I found two other bottles with a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce, enough to really flavor the pork for sandwiches. I imagine these might have been a bit old, but so full of vinegar, they were just fine. 
  • I found enough  eight ounce jars, plus a four ounce jar and finally made the  jalapeno pepper jelly. I'm not completely happy with how it turned out-the pepper bits floated to the tops, but I gave a good shake before setting, to distribute more. I had a bunch left in the pot after filling the six jars, but mostly without peppers, but it actually filled one 16 ounce jar. I only tasted the jelly by licking the spoon, and even if it doesn't look the best, the taste is good. I'll use the jar without much peppers for things like spicy meatballs or a glaze. I have four more of the 16 ounce jars for fruit jam, pus I can empty a 4 ouncer in my fridge holding my sister-on-laws jelly into another container, which would give me five jars for the five lids I saved, enough for one batch of assorted fruit jam-all the bits in my freezer. 
  • Our friends gifted us a jar of crab apple and a jar of  peach/blueberry jelly so we will be set for fall and winter. I brought her wine. Fair trade.

    Money

    • I earned another $5.00 Target card through the Microsoft rewards. 
    • I had planned to contribute $30 towards our software developers parting gift-the man is a rock star, but his contract is up and he also has been trying to retire-at 55! Another  colleague wanted to chip in on the gift, so I only spent $25.
    • I reigned in spending on fall décor items, stopping at just five, when I really saw another five items I wanted! I might cut some leaves and pumpkins, old school, from construction paper I have already and do some more for my dining room doors. With it getting dark earlier and earlier, embracing fall with some color will help my mood. 
    • I saved money by baking a pan of cookie brownie bars from a mix I've had all summer instead of stopping for  snacks for my sisters.
         I'm excited to say I ended September spending $397 for all household, health and beauty, groceries, of food, and take out for the month, $3 below my target. Not included is DH's lunch out with a friend, drinks out twice with my daughter on our walks, and the wine, soda, and hard lemonades we picked up for meeting up with friends. All those entertainment items were under $90. Our apple orchard outing and farmers market spend were in the grocery budget. I have no challenge for October, other than to not shop stupid. We actually are solidly pantry stocked and have  quite a bit in the freezer still. So how about you? Any big wins? Did anyone else buy a few new fall items for their home? Are you worried about having a scary month?

    19 comments:

    1. September had some expenses sneak up on us also and October is full of birthdays (5!) and those will add up too. We have spent some money in fall decorations but definitely less than $50 total. We love fall and Halloween but lost most decor when our basement flooded two years ago. I was really sick this time last year, back to back sinus infections and then bronchitis (or was it? I just wonder how long Covid has been around) so I didn’t even decorate much to replace what we had lost until this year. My dad found 10 lb cans of pumpkin that I will divide up and freeze in portions. It is very hard to find! I would love to keep spending to a minimum this month. With all four of us working and less free time, I could see us all being able to bank some cash this month, fingers crossed 🤞 JoAnn

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That is a lot of family birthdays! I hope you don't have th eunhelathy bout this year. My husband was so cik all of December, and all symptoms of Covid-aches, headache, cough that just wouldn't go away, but no diagnosis of bronchitis. In fact, they never did diagnose him, other than his blood pressure was through the roof and he was on the verge of a heart attack. I presume he perhaps was in the earlier stage of congestive heart disease, which his father had, but hopefully the chang ein his diet have helped. .

        Delete
    2. I had a rather spendy month as I added needed replacement clothing items, stocked up on pet food and supplies, and bought some household items. Then there were the Kindle books that weren’t even very good. We also had family staying with us to escape smoke from wildfires so a lot more on food and some more on utilities I imagine although I haven’t seen those bills yet

      My October goal is to not shop lol. Food of course will be bought and we have property taxes and quarterly Medicare bill among other infrequent expenses. I want to start making larger donations to help those struggling so that is a priority for the rest of the year at least.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Don't you hate when books that we buy are a disappointment? Good luck not shopping in October, LOL! It was good your family could stay with you-what sadness in the fire situation.

        Delete
    3. Great job getting your spending to come in under budget! Awesome. We are still struggling with our grocery budget, but saving in other places.

      Half of our property taxes are due this month, & it's a crazy insane amount of money, so that will take up almost all of my vested stock for the month. The other half is due in January, so I best start preparing for that as well.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. There's just the two of us, but sine that is all household spending, I think it seems like it is about what it should be. Our taxes went up a bit as well, not much-one school referendum ended and another started but I don't mind investing in the schools.

        Delete
    4. Our September was ok. We had no major expenses and even had money returned for Alabama football season tickets that were purchased in January. The stadium can only be 1/4 capacity so they offered a return without losing your 2021 ticket status.
      Judging by my neighborhood, Halloween is going to proceed as mostly normal. People around me have had their decorations up for over a week now. I think everyone is just tired and needs something to celebrate. This year I plan to hand out treats as usual, but I will be in a mask and wearing gloves and possibly using tongs just to maintain distance.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sure there will be some normality to Trick or Treating, but I don't want folks coming to my door, so I'll do the driveway, and since a Saturday, not until perhaps 6:00.

        Delete
    5. Our well for our new project wasn't dug in September, so that moves to this month (hopefully.) Other than that, I tend to aim for a low-spend month in October. I don't say no-spend, because, for instance, our local supermarket typically has its case sale in October, and I will take advantage of it if there are items we use.
      We, sadly, don't get trick-or-treaters here--too rural. Handing out candy was my favorite part of Halloween when we lived in suburbia. I have, however, been known to purchase Halloween candy at 75% - 90% off after Halloween, and tuck it in the freezer for use in Christmas baking. The other day I found a bag of Rollo's in the freezer that I think I've had for 2 years! (I put on them on mini pretzels laid out on a cookie sheet, and press a pecan on top, and give them as gifts.) I'm thinking I won't be giving food gifts this Christmas so as to not make anybody uncomfortable. Actually, I almost stopped that entirely since so many friends are on different diets/restrictions. Instead, I've been giving out homemade beeswax candles.
      Happy October!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I haven't been fortunate the last few years to score discounted candy, but if I could find kisses, that would be great. I think I actually have some from last year i the freezer-maybe I'll get ambitious and make peanut butter blossoms for my daughter as well as pumpkin bread. I made the Rolo pretzels last year-and probably ate the majority, so debating if I should. Love them!

        Delete
    6. Sounds like you did fantastic! I was doing so well here until the unexpected vet bills. No way around that right now. No new fall decor for me. I still won't go anywhere that isn't absolutely essential. My freezer and pantry are well stocked, should just need a run or two for some of the basics this month.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm sorry for your fur baby. Household wise, I managed the budget pretty well. The furnace needed the fix and fingers crossed, should be well set for winter.

        Delete
    7. Visiting you again was interesting. I actually bought a few Fall decorating things. Last year I bought a thin tree for Christmas and decided to leave it up in the dining room. So I've been decorating it for the other holidays and seasons. I bought a few things for that but I'll be using them again. I've been buy Christmas gifts online and noticed that Amazon will have a Prime day this month with good buys so I'm going to check that out.
      I bought a beef roast and we ate off of it for 3 days. Saturday I'm making Chicken Tortilla soup and I'm sure it will serve several meals but I might freeze some.
      Sammie

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I appreciate you visiting again and hope you will keep coming back I have fun readers that join the conversation. I've not thought about using a small tree year round. I wouldn't mind using white lights throughout the year if other people weren't so adamant they need to come down after Christmas. I never understood why people hate lights other times of the year. It's so dark so early in Minnesota-I love that December had lights. I don't even know what my gift giving list is this year, but I'll watch for the Prime day, though will try and shop mor elocal and give more cash gifts this year.

        Delete
    8. October is a big spend month for us. Property taxes, house insurance, car insurance, foundations and framing our new house, granite and then there is the rest of Christmas with Walmart and Target having matching days for Amazon Prime. I have savings put away for everything. It will be a crazy month for us! Janette

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I envy people who have the tenacity to build a new home. Just the experience of going through the cabin build for afar was enough for me. It pays ot plan ahead doesn't it. When you know expenses come, nice to have th emoney ready.

        Delete
    9. I am going to check what I have and make sure I go into the holidays with at least three cans of pumpkin. I do believe I have two from sales after Christmas last year. Plus, I want several cans of the jellied cranberry sauce and several pounds of fresh, frozen cranberries. I like both.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. With self hosting holidays this year, I'm keeping my eyes out for those holiday staples early as well. DH is excited about our own turkey since we are guests and don't get leftovers. He ight regret that as only three of us eat turkey. We of course can bundle and bring to his mom, my siblings etc too.

        Delete
    10. That's great on the $5.00 Target card through the Microsoft rewards. I am almost up to a $10 Amazon card. I would use either one, Target or Amazon to buy items we need right now.

      $397 for your Sept household spending is great. Mine was about $100 higher, which I am hoping to reign in this month.

      ReplyDelete

    Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.