Friday, January 29, 2021

Friday W's- Need a Jump Start

       I had no little fun things at work this week, nor any personal extra's live or virtual which made for a bit of a hard week. DH went to the cabin yesterday and I kind of wish I could have gone along for a change of pace. I was feeling really run down on Wednesday, allergies, a cold, not sure what but an antihistamine, the strong stuff, and nearly 12 hours in bed  was sure a help. Yesterday flew as I was swamped with meetings and a deadline. Life in my socially distanced, working from home mode still went on, but I'm hoping to find some things to jump start my mood. So with that as my launching point, here's my Friday W's.

What's top of mind: Vaccines, vaccines, and yet more vaccines! It has been a slow roll out and I worry about all the new strains, but am not giving up hope. Did I share my MIL got her first does last week? I hope my oldest brother and sister are in the cue, as both are well past 65 and have a plethora of health conditions.

Where I've been: Well-I ran a few errands on Saturday-book drop off (didn't go in the library), a few groceries, gas in the car, but other than  walking pup, I've been no where since. I took the opportunity to bring the trash bins back up from the curb as a separate trip from walking pup to add another activity to my day. I may start doing that with the mail as well. The problem is, pup get's very annoyed if I leave the hosue without him-like he knows I am on the premise, just left him behind the closed door. 

Where I'm going: We are watching the weather and pending snow, but my daughter and I might drive out of town and do a wander of a community near us, where she has eyed a few houses. I have a few coffee gift cards so can use for a warm drink as we check at least from curbside the houses, learn where the shopping might be (they have an Aldi and a Target so she will be set). If we don't feel the weather is conducive for that, we decided we will at least go down town and have a wander, getting out of the house a bit. 

What I'm watching: I decided to cancel Acorn, so did a final peruse and am watching the last season of Doc Martin again. I didn't see anything else that caught my eye, so one less  service to pay for. I've found a couple new to me YouTuber's with a lot of vegan cooking and shopping. I'm trying to plan incorporating more  hearty plant based meals into our diet. 

What I'm reading: I ended up ordering We Were Liars for my book club on- line, but haven't started it. The book club is Friday, but we are expected to have a weekend of snow, so I'll snuggle in and do a  full on read this weekend.

What I'm listening to:  My daughter's choir has released a few practice sessions they did this fall to help the video crew  out before they filmed the pieces for the virtual Christmas concert. IT was nice to listen to th e first one they released via Facebook. She auditioned and got a spot in an on campus Acapella group, the XXXtones and I believe they will have some virtual performances this spring as well. I have not had any streaming  radio this week at all. The most listening I've done is the car radio going to the store and work. 

What I'm eating: I've been sticking more closely to the meal plan-mostly because it is an event on my calendar (that's 
 what I'm calling it) and having a specific something to do has been good for my January mental health, which falters every year in the best of circumstances. Other than the pot pie, nothing new this week, but the standbys of tuna hotdish, sloppy Joe's, chili, and spaghetti haven't been made in a while so have added a little variety. I stuck 1/2 the chili, Sloppy Joe's, and spaghetti/bolognese sauce in the freezer. I desperately though need to take stock of the single portions, full meals, and other food in the freezer as I am forgetting what all is in there. Who has a good marking system? Next month I am going to buy more square shaped containers that stack, plus a new sharpie and freezer tape. 

Who I'm paying attention to: My niece has been sending us links to her son's streaming hockey games. Timing hasn't worked to see them live yet, but I hope to do so with another few weeks of their season. I believe though I can watch the recorded version-something a bit different. I asked another niece who's son plays to do the same, but haven't had a response. I like following the activities of my great nieces and nephews, and DH's brother's kids. Last year in my first empty nest year I was starting to get to more of their events, which gave me both Saturday activities and family time. Of course that was cut short like all youth activities. If they can do so safely, I a happy there is some sports, choir, and theater available for kids.

What I'm planning:  I have an over abundance of bananas in the freezer so baking bread, some for my siblings is on the calendar. I'll need o get it delivered as well as my other sisters gift who I didn't see last weekend. A year ago, we all met in our local bar and grill for lunch and drinks to celebrate the January birthdays. It's really the little things I miss. 

     I'm starting to plan vacation weeks. I did the math and minimally I need to take 126 hours of vacation before the end of June. I'm going to take the week before Easter and the following Monday off to put a good dent in that balance, and likely a week in June. DD2 will be home the week before Easter. Hopefully I can chip away at the other 40+ hours, plus a floating holiday, by taking a few Mondays and Fridays and maybe a Thursday here and there when DH is off. The key though is to actually plan something in that time-projects that we've still put off. 

     Not exactly what you would call a banner week, stay at home or no stay at home. I was telling my husband that meal planning is at least something to keep my non-work mind active, and the only thing I have on my calendar so he's stuck with what I decide. He stopped at got a couple McDonald's burgers-totally out of m control so I'm not letting it interfere with calling a success to m January spend, but I will take off the $ he spent on Februarys' Tomorrow I'll share a new self imposed challenge. I bet your are giddy with excitement on that. So, play along with me and share the W's in your life. I really enjoy reading what others have going on in other's lives. Thank you for reading and being part of my  community. 

25 comments:

  1. I threw caution to the wind on Sunday, and went to lunch with my ex-managers who recently quit and two of my current management team. I just needed SOMETHING. I’ve been so down since the holidays, I can barely tell the difference between days. I’ve felt guilty every day since then and that hasn’t helped my mood any. One of the ex’s came in the store on Tuesday (knowing that the new store manager wasn’t there) and that was a nice visit too. Other than that, I got nothing. I’m off all weekend and we had planned a little day trip for Saturday but we postponed that for a couple reasons. It’s going to snow Sunday and Monday, much to my dismay. I don’t have anything to get excited about on the horizon. Work continues to be a struggle. The new manager has been deleting emails, including one for a contest this week that she never told us about. I found it in the trash and told the rest of the team about it. She’s been late most days and tried to pawn a meeting off on someone else until our DM called her out on it. She’s gotten several policies wrong, is nitpicking little stuff, blaming people, calling employees “what’s her name”, talking about people behind their backs, put a request in for two weeks of vacation, plus quarantine time during the peak of back to school season, is passing her responsibilities-making the schedule, change orders, etc-to other people, leaves projects unfinished. It’s becoming toxic very quickly. People are already looking for other jobs. I just stay submerged in projects. She doesn’t venture into my department very often, so I’m safe there lol. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if I go in Monday and find things changed around and not in a good way. Sorry for the rant but it’s the best way to describe my W’s right now :( JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a safe space JoAnn, so rant away! I've been where you are-still have an old boss that because of a work link still is a pain in my behind often enough! Try not to feel guilty about a single lunch outing. If your group all have been cautious and you were in a restaurant that practiced all the health recommendations, I'm sure all will be well.

      Delete
  2. Be sure to include some do nothing days when you are planning your days off - even though you are working from home those are ultra important and projects will get done when they get done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have nothing evenings and whole Saturday and Sundays of nothing days, but I understand. There is something about being totally unplugged, off the grid, with no commitments. I am so happy to see your posts and comments on blogs. I trust Buddy is taking good care of you.

      Delete
  3. It has to be a pretty blah week when going out to the mail box makes it to the highlights doesn't it! Ha, at the moment I could probably skate to mine! As for vaccines I'm not sure I'm even on anybody's list, to be honest. I don't fall under the "urgent" group and since I'm apparently persona non grata in France until my French "green card" comes through I may well not even exist. I guess becoming invisible is quite an achievement though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at the low end, even though with RA and being fat, I have two risk factors! I'd rather someone who has to be out in the public be ahead of me anyway and those with many risks factors that truly have been home bound. I ended up just getting the mail with pup, but even though it was really cold yesterday, we added a good 15 minutes to our walk. He was very curious so we even turned a corner we don't often take. I was a bit sorry though because the plows had done a horrible ob on this street, and in parts I felt like we had to walk in the middle of the road!

      Delete
  4. I think the doldrums and the isolation has set in with everyone. Well, except for the people who still don't think this pandemic is bad enough to stop doing whatever they want to do.
    I am about to cancel one of our streaming services. I am not using it enough to keep it, even though it was just one dollar a month for the first year. I have a note reminding me to cancel it by March 22.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a couple British TV groups on Facebook-just looking for more social (true social not political bickering) and have a fee recommendations to watch, but I don't think I'll miss Acorn. the doldrums are heavy this time of year anyway-when I had kids at home, my winter weekends were filled with basketball tournaments, running kids to the ski hills, show choir choir, extra friends over and so on, that I never had them. they started last year-but even then, I wet to some of the extended family things, and if nothing else, we got together for card nights. Now, there's just me and DH and DD2 when her schedule works. I'm grateful for them both and that they are putting up with me. DH is probably sick to death of me talking about new food options and menu planning-nice that my son recognized I needed that outlet and bought the cookbook for me.

      Delete
  5. Definitely in the winter blahs at my house as well. We've been in the most restrictive tier of lock downs, but that changed on Monday, which means the kids can do masked/socially distanced sports practices again (no contact). It's something, at least.

    Two people (and, waiting on a third diagnosis) on my work team have COVID. We all WFH, and one isn't clear how they got it, and the second traveled. It's made me so nervous again to do anything.

    We were hoping to do a day ski trip for Sam's birthday, but we're going to skip it. The boys will be so disappointed, but what can you do. I need to go back to the drawing board for activities for "ski week". I spent $0 on dining out in January (is that why I'm so sick of my own cooking?) & will use both Jan & Feb dining out budgets to do things like takeout lunches for the kids on their break, maybe an Uber Eats dinner (birthday boy choice), etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you are far enough away from the ski options that just going for a long day, bringing your own food, isn't really an option. I'm glad the boys will get a bit more flexibility. I don't even have suggestions for others any more-I'm out of options. Time to really concentrate on my weight loss-that's the positive I can think of.

      Delete
  6. It feels like there is no end in sight, even with vaccinations happening (hey, my country doesn't have enough for all of us! yikes!).

    Here are my Ws:
    What's top of mind: we have a new TV stand with an electric fireplace. Our condo is old (mid-70s) and drafty and this will be wonderful.
    Where I've been: to work, out shopping briefly, taking out recycling!
    Where I'm going: Going out for brunch tomorrow. I realize how lucky I am to be in a place that has very few active cases!
    What I'm watching: Blown Away, season 2, on Netflix - a fascinating and inspiring competitive reality show about glass blowing. Amazing.
    What I'm reading: I decided to re-read a fantasy series by Julian May - I haven't read it in 20+ years and remembered loving it, but nothing about the plot or characters! Time for a re-read. We have Zoom Book Club on Sunday.
    - What I'm listening to: we have a huge music collection. Yesterday, I listened to The Decemberists, Dessa, Cypress Hill, and Dawes.
    - What I'm eating: NOT chocolate! Made spaghetti last night, tonight is DoorDash.
    - Who I'm paying attention to: my blog-friends! I did a Zoom call with one on Tuesday. It was so cool!
    - What I'm planning: Hoping we'll be able to either have a gathering with friends or be permitted to travel within my province by August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy your played along! Your TV stand-fireplace sounds like a great condo addition. Ahh, brunch, one of the things on weekend I am most looking forward to doing again. There's nothing I love more for a treat than having eggs benedict and fruit with a glass of mimosa! I'm looking forward to my Friday night Zoom book club, and tomorrow will be a full tuck in day reading. We
      re starting to look at cabin weekends-we have the second family cabin that we can reserve a few times over the course of the nice season, and then we will invite friends. We can be socially distanced-and enjoy each other even if the health crisis is still on.

      Delete
  7. You hit on a few spots I've been thinking about lately and I think I have some ideas that might help with some of your goals. I hope to get my ideas in writing and get it out by the first of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking for your posts, Martha. I think we share a lot of similar thoughts and I can learn ideas from you.

      Delete
  8. All of us are on rinse and repeat and it is getting so old. But reading your blog helps. I am not alone. There is some one out there that feels like I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say had I not taken the leap seven years ago (seven years since I've been blogging-wow!) and started this blog and reading others, I would be very lonely right now-well lonelier. You all and Youtube have become a boredom lifeline.

      Delete
  9. I went to a new supermarket that opened recently. That's the only place I've been this week. I have no plans to go anywhere, as there is nowhere to go while we're in lockdown 3. This week I've missed the cafe, and impromptu trips away. I've watched a lot of TV this month, and have started to list films and tv shows I've watched on my blog to keep a record. I read Living Better by Alistair Campbell in a couple of days this week, and listened to the new track from Rag n Bone Man ... new album out in April which I'm looking forward to. Eating has been hit and miss this week. I'm bored of the actual act of eating! I've exercised every day though, even when I haven't felt like it. I'm always glad when I've done it; must be the endorphins 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After using January to level set on my getting healthier journey (and hopefully weight loss as a by product of that) I want February to be a concentrated effort on exercise and movement. Other than walking on the park walking/bike path, which isn't very long, I haven't had good opportunity for long walks-and it is down ight risky to try to walk on the roads with ice and snow and people not watching for walkers, so I need to find in the house routines.

      Delete
  10. I've been busy here- end of the month 'stuff!' Why not an allowance as such for your husband so you don't have to track his purchases? My husband wasn't a big spender but he did like to eat lunch out with colleagues and in the 27 years we were married before he died, he never once brought a packed lunch to work. I finished up my vegetable soup and am going to prep some collard greens soon- they were in the farm share this week and I don't want to waste them. I also am defrosting a whole chicken in the fridge and if it is thawed by tomorrow, I'll roast it. I treated myself and joined the Book of the Month club- I usually get my books at the library but I'm still not going there until a few weeks after the second vaccine and I'll wear a mask. I read 6 books this month. Have a good weekend- I'm craving something sweet but it's not on the diet UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't worry about what DH spends separately-I just was hoping to really meet the challenge, a little mind victory. Of all the potential expensive things he could do, getting a McDonalds once in a blue moon is fine by me. Keep us posted on what books you enjoy. We decide a couple months ahead what books we will read i my club.

      Delete
    2. Anxious people by Bachman- very quirky but I loved it

      Miss Benson’s Beetles by Joyce. Another quirky one!

      I also read one of your book club picks The Vanishing Half. I liked it but not as well as the others. Nan

      Delete
  11. We're into our second month of lockdown now, life's okay but I wish there was an end in sight!
    Here are my Ws:
    What's top of mind: Will I win the ebay auction which I just bid on?
    Where I've been: Today, nowhere, there's a blizzard out there.
    Where I'm going: Into the lounge to watch some TV
    What I'm watching: Hopefully there's a decent film on the BBC iplayer
    What I'm reading: Blogs today. I've fallen behind.
    What I'm listening to: Jon chatting to the cat in the kitchen
    What I'm eating: Nothing till teatime, had a veggie sausage sandwich for breakfast
    Who I'm paying attention to: Whether cat number two want to come in
    What I'm planning: No further than tonight - A soak in the bath, rum and cola and Danish drama The Investigation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for playing, Vix! I get behind in blog reading as well, and I'm also trying to link to new blogs when I read a comment that makes me smile, or think, or want to explore. We're due for another round of snow, so tonight will be I think a movie, pop corn, and a Tom Collins.

      Delete
    2. The perfect evening, Sam! Cheers! xxx

      Delete
  12. I didn't know one could put bananas in the freezer !

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.