Wednesday, February 24, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Trial and Error

      


     If necessity is the mother of invention, boredom must be the father, or at least an aunt or uncle. I'm in a rut on the meal front and am using the creativity of others in cook books or on-line to try some new things. Sometimes I follow the directions exactly, and other times I change things based on what I have on hand, or preferences. Most of the time I am satisfied with the result even if it does not become part of a rotation, but sometimes there's errors with the trials. 

     First, on the fail front was the cider beer bread. I did not change anything in the directions and yet, the kitchen smelt like a brewery, and the bread tasted heavy. The first warm piece was OK, but as the loaf cooled, less so. I mixed up a little of the maple butter and that helped, but it is not a recipe we will try again. Maybe it was the out of date cider. I've had good luck though with making a regular beer bread with old beer-maybe it was the sweet nature of this as it required  maple syrup in the recipe. DH had a piece on Sunday and said it was OK, but I won't be eating any more of it, and feel bad for the waste. 



     With the bread was a rice, broccoli, cheese and chicken hot dish, a favorite. I used leftover broccoli from the night before, and had  some in the freezer from a month or more ago. Mistake-we ended up picking out the freezer broccoli as the taste and texture was off. No sense ruining the meal, even if it meant waste. 



     Sunday's dinner was my tried and true lasagna I've been making since I was 14, nothing fancy, but DH has been wanting it for a while. I was a bit leery after Saturdays bread fail to try this no knead French bread recipe, but overall, it was good. I froze the second loaf for later in the week, and the leftovers of loaf one were part of my lunch Monday. I think if I make again, I will dissolve the yeast with warm water, and add to the dry ingredients, similar to how I did the  artisanal bread recipe. I would have liked a bit more rise and think that will help. 



     I will be making the Apple Cheddar sausage balls this week, but I didn't have anymore cheddar until I went to the store, and by then, I wanted a quick meal. I forgot about a couple crowns of broccoli in the refrigerator, and earlier I had taken one of the large chicken breasts from the freezer. Stir fry! I cooked the chicken after cutting in smaller pieces in  garlic, onion, and soy sauce. I added two cups of water, then the broccoli to steam it through, along with more seasoning, I made a packet of ramen noodles with 12 the packet, and mixed that in with the stir fry, for sort of a stir fry noodle bowl. The end result was not 1/2 bad, though could have benefitted from more pepper during the cooking or some of the  General Tsao sauce, but I didn't want to open the bottle. There's enough leftover for my lunch today. While not a roaring hit, it was different, and I enjoyed trying something new. I have a LA Cookbook inspired recipe for later in the week. 


     I'm thinking about adding a separate blog for my Pantry posts-nothing but food, and a whole lot of trials-likely a lot of errors. I know there are a gazillion of these and I might not have enough content, but it would be a new project for me for Covid stay at home and empty nester life. I'd be honest an post all the fails as well, maybe  a few product reviews. kitchen hacks, and other kitchen miscellanea. I'll do what I have lots of time for, think on it. 

20 comments:

  1. I'm in a huge rut with dinner making. nothing sounds good and like you, trying new things is always hit and miss and I haven't really felt like trying to find new recipes either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to commit to at least one new recipe a week. It might be baking or a meal dish or side, but anything to mix it up.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you did well overall Sam. Let us know if you do decided to start another blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few ideas that I've had for years on it being part story telling, part cooking. I need to better organize thoughts before I do.

      Delete
  3. Years ago, I used to watch a lot of the cooking shows. Mostly the ones where common ingredients were used and that I would most likely have. My husband appreciated and would watch them with me and we would agree on specific recipes and try to recreate them. Most of which you could find online but often we would just wing it. We had more success than fail, amazingly enough, but have gotten away from it as we just have basic cable and a lot of the ones we enjoyed are no longer on TV. The best thing about seeing it made before we ever attempted it, was being able to see how it should look when it was finished. I've made things from online recipes, just random, and the picture either was not very clear or there wasn't a finished product pic available and I have more failures that way than if I know how it is expected to look. Strange though it may be, it was a consistent end result. Now I try things that other bloggers share or am more apt to experiment on my own. I have fewer failures but now am more apt to burn something I routinely make, just out of carelessness. Some nights our supper is a real crap shoot - you never know what you're going to get. Tonight it is stir fried broccoli with garlic and Aldi's chicken kiev and canned peaches to round it out. Trying to cut back on the carbs a bit although the chicken is breaded, so there's that. Share your ideas please - good or bad. Hacks are also fun to read and implement. I look forward to your decision. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would give me a fresh perspective to add a separate blog for cooking and baking, but then I'd need to rebrand this a bit more.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good!
    I have been so uninspired cooking lately, so thanks for sharing your trial and error. I'm going to make a chicken stir fry tonight since I have lots of broccoli I need to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think trying is fun, but I am disappointed when not a win.

      Delete
  5. Yes, let us know if you decide to do another blog so we can keep reading. I have fails in my kitchen too like that sesame peanut butter noodle dish from last week. It happens from time to time.

    I made some pumpkin banana bread today and it rose so nigh I had to move the oven rack down. Must have been the fresh baking powder and baking soda. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your recipe and it is on my list to try this weekend since I have so many frozen bananas and a couple spare cans of pumpkin.

      Delete
  6. I usually try to do old time favorites when in rut... like tuna noodle, Country fried steak. Swedish meatballs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not done Swedish meatballs in a while-thanks for the suggestion. I think it's been a while for tuna hotdish-not since my daughter was home. Great suggestions.

      Delete
  7. I have frozen broccoli in my freezer and I thought of it today when I was grocery shopping but I just can't get along with it somehow. I much prefer the fresh, although it doesn't keep for long does it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was being clever saving, but it almost ruined the whole dish.

      Delete
  8. I'm in a rut as well. I've never liked frozen broccoli, tho do like fresh. It gets bitter and soggy frozen. If you start a food blog, I'll certainly read it. I have gotten some good ideas/ recipes from your blog! Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback on a new blog. I love broccoli, fresh, and the fast froze. This was neither-just fresh that was froze and turned off.

      Delete
  9. I am often inspired and not in a rut, but often I cannot stand long enough to cook what I want to cook. I need to try lasagna since I love it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lasagna does seem a bit more special than other pasta dishes to me. I hope you make it. Maybe a stool for cooking?

      Delete
  10. I had to go get some groceries, after cleaning the fridge we were down to condiments, seriously. I used the last of my broccoli also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost out of ketchup-so saving what is left for burgers this week. I'll do a big shop in early March, little top offs, and then a daughter focused shop before she comes home at the end of the month.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.