Thursday, April 22, 2021

Thrifty Thursday

      It's been a  an Ok week on all of my  thrift areas and I I have already written extensively about some of them. I've got a nice fiscal one below to share. I didn't  blog yesterday-nothing interesting happening in my pantry and no new real recipes to share so took a day off. Here's a few highlights  of where I feel I used my time, resources, or money well. 

Time

  • Of course listening to my daughter's concert was a great use of my time!
  • My daughter came over on Tuesday to listen to the  Chavin trial verdict together. I also had a meeting streaming through my ears through work. It has been an emotional time, and good to be with others in person and virtually.
  • A house in a very attractive price range came up for my daughter. I had to drop some things off at the post office and took a swing by. Here it turns out it is adjacent to the house DH grew up in from the age of 14 onwards when his family first moved to town. Let's just say the cute pictures inside and out, were very creatively photographed. DH was well familiar with the house and said it should be a hard pass-was maybe worth 75% of the asking price. Basically it was  a postage stamp size, but with the number of rooms, each would have been  tiny and nonfunctioning. There was literally no lot and a yard is a must for her. My daughter saved the time not looking further and not letting the price pull her towards a house that ultimately would be a huge settle. 
  •  Chatted with my son yesterday. He had been on a project "in the desert" for several days doing a commercial. Work is picking up for him, though most in his age group are not yet vaccinated, so all sets have the detailed protocol for Covid in place, and are testing daily. Because his schedule fluctuates, he is hoping the J&J comes back quickly as scheduling the second dose would be difficult with a varying schedule. 
  • I got all the  put off appointments scheduled for after May 8th, the two week vaccination marker. The exception is hair-I will go in next week for a no frills chopping through the place DH get's his haircut, which is no appointment, but you can check in online, and not wait inside. I desperately need to color my hair again, but want the bad ends and the excess length  gone first. This cut will take likely 10 minutes or less, but I'll go back to my regular place later in the spring. 
Resources  
  • I finally cooked up the  bag of dry pinto beans bought last month-the last on an Aldi shelf. It made a massive amount which we had Tuesday with burritos. I sent to containers home with  my daughter, froze two more containers, and will have leftovers for a few lunches. For my first time cooking pinto beans, I think I did ok seasoning wise. 
  • While someone would have bought them eventually, I feel good about increasing my daughters wardrobes with second hand items from the church sale, and buying second hand planters for my own use. Saving raw materials is a fiscal and an environmental win. 
  • We had multiple leftover meals and so far, minimal food waste. 
  • When repotting monster plant, two  arms of growth broke off. I put them in vases of water and they appear to be staying green and should result in a couple new plants. 

Money

  • Garage and  estate sale-bam, for the money win! My daughter and I when walking the dog decided we really want to avoid fast fashion as much as possible I know I want a new dress, and it might not yet be practical to  thrift for one as that would require multiple visits, but minimally when I buy, I will make sure it is not so trendy that I don't want to wear for multiple years. 
  • Found a dime out walking-was on the ground near where pup did his business. Yeah, I disinfected it before it went in the  Croissant and Baguette fund tin. 
  • And the biggie-my daughter received a $1,500 scholarships through a professional organization of which I am a member. She applied both  for her freshman and  sophomore year and didn't get one, so neither of us were expecting. Coincidentally, it is the exact amount of both a fall Cuba trip she is contemplating, or the  extra fee for the specific study abroad program she is is applying to. 
     The message on Monday that she received the award was a good way to start the week. I think it pepped her up her final week of classes before finals and final projects next week. If you remember what that was like, anything to boost energy and excitement when a semester is coming to a close is  good. We splurged on take out once, but it was pretty reasonable and yielded lots of leftovers. I had some donation spending this week as well and happy to do so. Having the good fiscal wins is a reminder of the many blessings I have in life, and the ability to give is one of those blessings.  How has your week been? Any big wins or is slow and steady a winning way? 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like another good week Sam. I didn't do a menu plan this week, just using up what I have on hand and a couple of freezer meals, other than that not much to report from over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I had much either until I started typing it all out. I feel a need to have a challenge of some sort!

      Delete
  2. It's great that your husband already knew about that house your daughter might have been interested in and told her not to bother! When my brother was looking to move he and my sister saw a "beautiful" house advertised, but when they got there there was a massive great electric pylon about 20 feet away, so a definite no go! And congratulations to your daughter on that scholarship. It's going to be a big help I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah-she would have been really disappointed, not encouraged had seh booked an appointment. The yard is a real deal maker-she wants a do so much, an dI think a dog would be so good for her mental health. My pup is my support guy!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter for the scholarship! That is great news. Also keeping my fingers crossed though D1 will find s suitable house sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really would rather not sign another lease, so if she can find something within the next 2-3 months, she should be able to close. Her apartment though would rent so easily, so I don't think she'd have an issue gettin gout of the lease but still, she has a target.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do remember the days and week before finals. Her wins were a morale booster, for sure. It's good he knew the house and saved her more anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think the photography was creative. The deck and porches looked the same, but totally different if that makes sense.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to your daughter on the scholarship! That is awesome news.

    I had a few returns that I finally received credit for (persistence pays off), & I keep putting all of my side hustle to the mortgage, which makes me feel good.

    Otherwise, just a bunch of standard stuff. I also gave away a bunch of items on Buy Nothing, and I *love* getting things out of our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your credits came through-it was your money after all. I think I'll have my daughter also look at finding new homes for so much of her stuff-plan for her to downsize now before she graduates in two years.

      Delete
  6. Finding a dime still thrills me to no end as if I were still six years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quarter would be like finding gold-the Aldi quarters.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your daughter on the $1,500 scholarship. How exciting. Pinto beans from dried always makes a lot of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done navy beans a ot, so wasn't expecting the mammoth amount-even more it seems. They have been a tasty, if repetitive meal, and now I can back off for weeks as I froze the other containers. I think some good chili for opening weekend at the lake.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.