Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Mish Mash Week

      What day is it today? Wednesday, right? I would normally be doing a pantry post today, but nothing really to share. I missed Positively Tuesday yesterday and Thrifty Thursday last week. Life feels a bit chaotic right now, but not in a bad way if that makes any sense. I'll just do a  mish mash of lots of things and see how this post goes. 

     Last week, maybe Wednesday, DH took an odd step off a curb and was sort of limping that night. Thursday he rested with ice, but we still went to the dinner. Friday it was still hurting, but he powered through. By Saturday, he came home with a swollen foot. Why didn't he go to the doctor you might ask? Because he is a stubborn idiot when it comes to medical. He skipped the birthday get together and nursed it Saturday night. Both girls contacted me on Sunday when they were moving DD2 home and said he was miserable, but acting like he wasn't. He nursed it Sunday night, but still went to work-claiming it was better. It clearly is not. Finally, he made an appointment for tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. 

     The college kid is home. Here's a picture I took looking in from my front doorway to my back  patio doors. Nice and tidy, spacious. 


     Here's what it looked like Monday morning. 

     My older daughter no doubt helped minimize some of her chaos, but this kid has issues! I've given her until next Saturday to go through every bin, toss, save, purge, or donate. Then she can start  making a minimalist box for her fall semester, since she only is there four months, and figure out the minimum she should bring to Spain, January through May. She spent most of Monday crashed, but yesterday had a check in with her  supervisor for her volunteer job-will be wrapping up that project by end of next week. They are more than happy to have her come back in the fall as she essentially jump started a whole part of the agencies strategic plan. She has an interview today for a fall on campus internship. Wish her luck. Next week she has an interview for one of several  Americorp positions she directly applied to. 

Someone is happy to have her home.

    My girls and I feasted on a  veggie and chickpea curry on Monday. I had made turkey bacon , lettuce, tomato and avocado sandwiches or wraps for lunch, and save bacon for DH and made him a couple wraps for his supper as he does not like the curry flavor. The Aldi Applewood brand turkey bacon is so good! It will be staple this summer for wraps, sandwiches, and salads. I boiled eggs this morning and will  make egg salad-another staples for the summer either in sandwiches or over greens. I think  the Brits call this Egg Mayo. Our local store for their anniversary sale had eggs, one dozen cartons, 2 for $1.00! 

     My son has his first or maybe has only vaccine today. He didn't know the type when the appointment was made. He was hoping to get Johnson and Johnson, as only one dose, but figured getting whatever could be scheduled made sense rather than waiting longer. Regardless of type, by end of May he'll be fully vaccinated, and even if Moderna, he'll be past the two week point by mid June. 

     I think this is what I have for today. I'll add to this tomorrow on Thrifty Thursday and Friday's W post. I need to get back to work and it will be a doozy of a day. 

18 comments:

  1. Sorry but I had to laugh at all that stuff in the entranceway! I know how you feel since my oldest moved back in with me six months ago! I hope your husband keeps his doctor's appointment - sounds like that pain has been lingering a bit too long right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laundry and bedding got taken care of right away but she needs to purge.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you! I got my second vaccine this morning and am trying to take advantage of the situation to get some rest and relaxation in but it’s hard! I’m so excited, I even teared up a little again at this appointment. Such a combination of relief, wonder, marvel, Enjoy your time with your daughters and good luck to your youngest on her interview, though I hardly think she needs any ;) and good luck to your son with his shot and hope DH’s foot is feeling better. Silly men. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was in a lot of discomfort last night. Idiot man! My daughter didn't feel the interview was strong. We'll see. Congratulations on dose 2. It was quite emotional for me as well.

      Delete
  3. Your home is lovely, even with the mess. I flew to college, so anything I couldn't carry in a carry-on, was shipped UPS. I don't know why kids seem to think they need so much in a dorm, but it amazes me to see them heading off with U-Hauls--where do they find room for that stuff in a dorm room? Ah well, times change, eh?
    I got my vaccine. DD and her friend came back from an ice-cream run right after they had left. I saw her friend had a bandaid and asked him what happened. He said "The fire department was there and gave me my vaccine, DD wants to know if she can get hers, so we came back to ask. I said sure, and told them to take me with them. I got there, and my neighbor was the RN. It was the one and done. Kids were whining about 5 p.m. that they had chills and aches, and I thought they were being dramatic. At about 2 a.m., I, who am BTU Woman when I sleep, woke up shivering so hard my teeth were chattering. I took some Tylenol, and went back to sleep. Saturday was a lost day, with me aching and fatigued, until about 7 p.m., when all of a sudden, I was myself again! If that was a taste of the virus, I'm glad I got the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you decided to get the vaccine. I was lucky in that fatigue was my only side effect. She needs to pair down to must haves before fall.

      Delete
    2. It's harder for some to pare down than for others, isn't it? (My DD is one of the "some." We move within the year, and she, because she is young, thinks that is forever.) Anyway, what I really want to impress upon people is that if how I felt was a taste of COVID, then I'm glad I got the vaccine. I can't imagine feeling that way for 10 - 14 days. 12 hours was more than enough.

      Delete
    3. I'm of the mind that Covid was in the states months earlier than it was documented. DH had an undiagnosed flu like, but not even close to any flu he's ever had-volumes worse and longer, blended with what felt like the worst bronchitis (not diagnosed as bronchitis), he's ever experienced and this went on for a month. Had he not just stopped working and rested, and if the cough/breathing would have gotten worse, I'm sure he would have been hospitalized. I appreciated you sharing your take on the difference between a day of symptoms to what could be weeks, months, or a lifetime of them.

      Delete
  4. All that stuff made me laugh too. You can certainly tell once the kids come home. So glad to hear your son is now getting his vaccine. I sure hope all goes well for your husband with the foot. It isn't sounding good. Don't worry about blogging Sam, enjoy the chaos while you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work has been busy too, so just was letting blogging go to the side a bit. DH is not great. No doubt something is very wrong and I hope he gets a good lecture that he could have healed better had he come in earlier.

      Delete
  5. Your home is lovely SAM. The flooring is beautiful!
    I remember those days of the girls returning from uni and trying to find space for all the stuff they'd accumulated... not an easy task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really just needs to purge and minimize. It's everywhere. She's a bit of a tornado. Thank you for the comment on floors. Originally all carpet, but we put hardwood in 20 years ago.

      Delete
  6. That is a pile of stuff! I'm sure you're happy to have your daughter home. And I hope your husband's foot isn't badly injured. Re the Aldi turkey bacon, thanks for the recommendation. I don't eat pork anymore, and hadn't found a good substitute for bacon which I love! I'll try Aldi. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turkey bacon doesn't cook down so liik might be iff putting but for sandwiches, perfect.

      Delete
  7. Hello Sam, I always had much more stuff than that when I came home from college. Compared to me, your daughter is a minimalist already. But why get rid of stuff when it was obtained for a reason, and makes you more comfortable? With me, it wasn't so much linens and the like, but boxes of books.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim-Those bins hold a lot of books, and there are boxes under the bedding on the couch out of view that hold books. She intends to keep all her textbooks now as they are now her core program and of interest-plus the reading books and novels she accumulates. I would mind the stuff less if it wasn't chaos, plus she will only be in her apartment four months, then off to Spain and needs to take only what fits in a suit case and back pack.

      Delete
  8. I joined in laughing at all of the stuff that came with the daughter. It is just kind of the way of the world when kids come home from school.
    Hope your husband is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He'll live, but I think he feels a bit dumb that he didn't seek help earlier! She had both too much stuff (many clothes not worn-many books she hauled not read), plus accumulated more things, and she is even less organized than I am.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.