Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Positively Tuesday: Managing Headaches

      

Old picture-I ordered lids for this year. 

     I've woken up the last three days with a really bad headache-todays' is still lingering in fact. I know they come from a combination of not being hydrated enough when I go to bed and disrupted sleep. The remedy, as I'm trying to avoid taking  pain relievers unless I am in such discomfort that I can't function, is a whole lot of water while also getting my morning caffeine fix. I know caffeine is a diuretic so counters, but I  don't add caffeine after noon. I share this not for sympathy but as sort of a metaphor comparing managing my physical headaches to the daily in and out headaches, bothers, small worries, we all face. My  thinking about and documenting simple pleasures each week is sort of my extra water and coffee. Enjoying the days with the ordinary good things make annoyances seem like just merely an annoyance. It leads me to the first of on my list, and nine more.

  1. I've seen this movie pop up in my recommendations before, but it seemed not really my thing, but finally on a rainy Sunday night I watched About Time. A quirky movie where  the males in a family after the age of 21 can travel back in their own timeline. It was sweeter than the description sounds, and there is a scene, without giving too much away, where the main character goes through a day, sort of just existing, not noticing or appreciating anything. Then, he relives the exact same day, but with the  only change being positive takes on the same previous benign interactions, like a fist pump and hugs with a colleague, or friendly banter with the  lunch counter worker, or humming along to music being played too loud by the guy on the tube seat next to him. What previously was  a long, hard day, on repeat, was a good day. It sort of summed up the whole point of simple pleasures and appreciating life as we experience it. The reality is really long, hard days will come, so enjoy the ones that are not to their fullest. 
  2. Speaking of Sunday rain-we got it and loads of it. Our  Minnesota earth was very happy after weeks and weeks of no rain and hot temperatures. 
  3. The cancelled lake plans also gave me time to try the  rhubarb jam recipe I wrote about Sunday.  DD2 has declared it "sooo good" and has eaten it on toast the last two mornings. 
  4. I probably paid double, but with finding no lids  for canning in any stores, I went ahead and ordered Kerr regular lids online-$10 for 12. I don't' care as I want to make more of the rhubarb and other jam, and will keep my eye open for  locally sourced. In the meantime, I can get more made and canned this week Unless folks are lying to me, family and friends seem to really appreciate my homemade jams and jelly's for gifts. They return jars so I'm guess that is a sign they'd like refills. This is the one crafty skill I have, so I look at the lid purchase as part of investing in a hobby. 
  5. I'm happy the Farmers Market is back and running. Pickings were slim in the produce arena this time of year in Minnesota, so all I bought was rhubarb, but it was nice seeing the familiar  local farm stands again. There were homemade candles, jam and jelly stands, slasa, and both the bread and cheese vendors. Plus, and it was tempting, the egg roll stand was selling. I got there late morning and the family with the flowers-so beautiful in August, were down to just one bunch left. 
  6. I'm on vacation this week, and even though I went on-line to do a cross check with  people I missed last week, I was not texted or called at all  on Monday. 
  7.  Last night I went to my great nieces soccer game. She's U10 and to make a full team, they have a few 7 and 8 year olds play up It brought back good memories of my kids first playing. Afterwards my little niece thanked me for coming and was all smiles. Can't put a price on that! 
  8. I took down and stored the card table and chairs that had been in the family room for puzzles or other things during our Stay at Home time, but had really become a dumping ground for unfolded laundry and other things in the wrong place. It felt so good to clear that spot back-in more ways than  just getting the clutter put away. 
  9. After Sunday's rain, it got very chilly. I made a big batch of wild rice soup yesterday. It was comfort in a bowl. Making soup on a coolish summer day is akin to that unexpected picnic weather in late October or November. 
  10. Last, but not least, once again we have sleeping with an open window weather nights. I'm surprised I had the headache as normally the fresh air does me good. 
     Later this morning I'm going to the  lake just  until tomorrow afternoon. My daughter and a friend are using the other cabin this week and I'll visit with them, read some more, and take them out for lunch or supper. We ended up taking DH out for an early supper on Sunday since grilling was a wash out, but I have his thick butcher made burgers ready for him for Wednesday night. He'll get two Father's Day meals. That's my week of recapping a few of the simple pleasures. While just a movie, I hope I can shape my days with a new point references and keep finding the snippets that make breathing  living a life. I hope you have a positively Tuesday. 


19 comments:

  1. Oh, Sam, you didn't ask for sympathy, but I can empathize with the headaches. I suffered from regular migraines from the age of about 7, (at a time when the popular opinion was that kids didn't get headaches) until about age 26, when I had my first child. At that point, they became less frequent. I would lose the better part of two days in bed with them. I hope you can get on top of these.
    I *LOVE* receiving homemade jams and jellies as gifts. I used to give them all the time, but now I give beeswax candles. As for the lids, I had to buy a case of half pint jars to get the lids--it was cheaper than ordering the lids. I plan on buying two half flats of strawberries at the local stand today, and making jam. I figured that's something I can do today while I'm home with the little girl from next door. Her older brothers and my youngest made plans to go somewhere this afternoon. If I didn't agree to have her over here, one of the brothers would be left out.
    Hot here--low 80's, 32 percent humidity. I actually had to have my a.c. on last night! I might keep it on all day.
    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the kind words. Still woke up the last couple days with the headache. Not sure what this is about, but I've not let it keep me down. I saw jars for $12-so yeah, probably should have bought them all, but then I'd have more clutter and trying to do without that as well. Nice to look after the younger child so no one is left out. That's the kindness I love reading about.

      Delete
    2. Nicer still--after she had been here for about 20n minutes, eldest mentioned he was in the mood for a visit to the burger/ice-cream stand about 20 minutes north, and asked if she and I wanted to go with him. All she wanted was a cone, and he ordered her a double scoop waffle cone, which was as big as her entire head. It made that little girl's day! Her favorite part was having him drive through a roundabout 3 times/row while I decided if I wanted to stop to get the berries.

      Delete
  2. Apart from the headaches that sounds like a lovely way to spend a few days. You obviously need some down time to enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent two hours purging emails-sorting, quick responses, and feel like I now can enjoy the day. If I was travelling, I wouldn't be as keen to check in.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the headaches Sam, keep that water with you at all times and sip away! The movie sounds good, I'll have to check that one out. Glad you got some much needed rain and glad you went for the canning lids too. Enjoy your vacation week and have a great time at the lake! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read for fun-headaches seem to subside by late morning. Now to be productive and resting.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are enjoying a little down time and I love rhubarb jam. I did get new lids and rings for small mouth for $5.99 but still can't get large mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd send you some if I had any of those large lids. I was surprised how much my daughter liked the jam.

      Delete
  5. Yu paid more than double for lids, but I understand why. Somedays, it is all about the pleasure it gives. Rhubarb is really delicous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not more than double here-I've never seen them for less than $5, but sure would like to score a bargain.

      Delete
  6. I love the list of positives. I hope your headaches improve!

    A few positives on my side: I found someone to water our plants next week, and it's a neighbor we share all of our produce with. We're paying her young son, as it's just across the street. We won't have him water our back plants, as we have a pool, but at least the front ones will survive. He's excited about the responsibility & money, we're excited to have the help. I know both of my teens would love a job like this, so I'm paying it forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet to give the little guy a job! How proud will he b to earn his own money. Your story and Meg's above really made my day reading. Sharing produce-another win. My daughter says there are local gardeners that bring in fresh produce to their food shelf. There is so much good in the word and we need to amplify it so it spreads.

      Delete
  7. I hope your headaches go away. Isn't it crazy how there is still a canning supply shortage? But homemade jams and canning always taste better so definitely worth the cost. I am waiting for the blackberries to be ready to pick so I can make hubby some blackberry jam again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I'm investing in a hobby, enjoying deliciousness, and will have thoughtful gifts. Has to be a good purchase with three wins! Oh blackberry jam would be a nice change. They must be hard to grow here as if we get them in stores, they are expensive, and if found, people seem to only get a handful.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear of your ongoing headaches, Sam! I keep a full glass of water on my nightstand - whenever I get up (I am also a restless sleeper), I gulp some water, and in the morning, I drink whatever's left in it.

    I hope your week goes well as we all ease back into "normal"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep water near me too-dry mouth issue at night. This has started in the past few weeks-not sure why but really unpleasant way to start a morning. Fortunately, not debilitating and works itself out b late morning.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.