Sunday, September 26, 2021

Sunday- Meal Planning???

     

Unrelated picture of food. I do have
cinnamon roll in oven now though.

     Last week was a write off in following a meal plan or even planning anything. Last night we ate at Applebee's, but hey, DH has the boneless wings from the 2 for $22 menu, and I have the rest of my Oriental chicken salad for lunch today. Better and local places to eat, but on Saturday nights places are packed and Applebee's wasn't. Our server was sweet and efficient so we tipped way above a % of our low cost meal. I do enjoy eating out when the server is particularly good. We always are decent tippers, even when mediocre service, but in these times, important to show appreciation when someone stands out.  DH was done for the night, but I went over to a sister's to play cards and finalize the last if my brother's surprise party plans. 

     With my on point shop, I managed foods other than rice and beans, though both were on my list. I must make the Burrito Bake today. Other meals this week may be:

  • Pork chops and mashed potatoes
  • Turkey meatloaf and....maybe a rice pilaf if some sort
  • Hamburgers and french fries 
  • Spaghetti Bolognese 
  • Goulash
  • Tuna hot dish
  • Chili Mac and cheese 
  • Sausage and pepper stir fry or sheet bake (Hawaii Plans suggestion 
  • Grilled cheese and tomato soup
     What day, what order, what sides, I'm not sure. We ate meals last week but other than Monday, I didn't cook at all. I'd like to make from scratch soup and homebaked bread but summer has decided to stay this week. I won't complain about that. There will be plenty of soup and bread days ahead.

      No shower yet because apparently our gas was off last night. DH got a knock in the door about 9:30 and it was two men from the gas company. They had to shut off the gas in the neighborhood as someone hit something and the line needed to be reviewed, repaired, tested. It's back now, but the water heater needs time, though there probably was still hot water to a point. And, it sounds like DH is having a heck of a time getting it started if the language from the laundry and utility room is an indication. We just replaced it last fall!  Last week it was roofs flying off and taking out power lines and this week something hitting a gas line. What will be the third as these things happen that way? I hope you have an enjoyable Sunday. Pop some meal ideas in if you are so inclined.





10 comments:

  1. Never come between a man and his tools - if it means he's trying to get the water heater restarted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh-it was not his issue. It was another road construction issues. Out whole neighborhood was without gas until the teams cam eout again.

      Delete
  2. Hope you don't have a third happening this week, and I hope your water heater heats up quickly.
    I'm going to try your burrito bake recipe this week too. Otherwise it is going to be fried rice, skillet shawarma, chicken on a bun (thanks for telling us about aldi red bag chicken), chili/cornbread and since it is going to be a lovely week, I think we will grill something, hamburgers or steaks or chicken... I bought some halloumi to try for the first time too.
    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then, I still didn't make it. We just ended up having tacos. I have not bought the red bag chicken since early August. I think it will be on our October shop.

      Delete
  3. Last week we found ourselves in Costco, so one night's dinner was the requisite rotisserie chicken. Last night we had chicken pot pie made with the leftovers. Friday I made a baked salmon. I thought it was going to be just DH and me for dinner, as we did have plans to eat out, but the weather was too pretty to leave the patio. In any case, just as I was setting the table 3 kids showed up to eat. So, 5 of us shared 4 pieces of salmon, two roasted potatoes, and a bagged salad. DD and another kid made a quick trip to the supermarket after to pick up a chocolate cream pie for dessert, but at that point, between the bottle of wine DH and I shared on the patio, and the meal, I was set for the evening...but couldn't say no to the pie. This morning I woke up and put a cross rib roast in the slow cooker for tonight's meal. I'll make a plate of deviled eggs for a mid-afternoon snack. Beyond that, I have no ideas for the rest of the week--risotto, since I have some leeks eldest picked up, and plenty of chicken in the freezer. Beyond that, I'm at a loss! I think it will be a play-it-by-ear kind of week for meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those chickens sure come in handy and make really great broth for things like pot pies or soup. I've had to stretch a few meals when extra kids were in tow, but I loved it

      Delete
  4. I woke up early today, feeling well rested. Ran to target for a return then to Walmart for a few things to get the week started and a few freebies via rebates. Came home and washed our bed, put out the Halloween decorations and started a pot of chicken soup. I had the kids strip their beds and take the stuff downstairs for me. Meal plans for the week-grilled chicken today, ham, potatoes and green beans in crockpot, steak um sandwiches, smothered pork chops in crockpot(new recipe) maybe tacos, maybe crockpot lasagna. The soup will last a few days and I’m going to make a tuna pasta salad as well. I’ll do a grocery pickup Tuesday after work. Going to watch the Steelers game and maybe bake something as well. Good luck with your gas issues lol that sounds awful ;) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably felt good to get some attention to your house. I dusted with polish the living room, vacuumed under cushions, the whole works and it felt so good to see a nice clean room! I'll use my crock pot a lot this week too as it is another warm week.

      Delete
  5. I just hate not having warm water! Do you cook with gas? I have two packs of chicken and two packages of ground beef thawed. So, one meat this week will have beef and the rest will be chicken. I can thaw packages of the ground beef for later.

    Tommy love the taco casserole I make. I put it in the crock pot and use ground pork, so it ends up more like soup.

    The recipe for taco casserole is on One Hundred Dollars a Month Blog on sluggy's list of blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not cook with gas, so it was the hot water and the dryer impacted. We don't need the furnace yet.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.