Wednesday, January 19, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry- New (to me) Tips and Tricks

      I've not been cooking much but as my "C" bought winds down, will be back to doing more. I thought while I pause, it might be a good day to share some new to me tips and tricks I've learned through other blogs, vlogs, and social media, or stumbled upon by accident. 

Baking soda added to soaking water for beans. I've been told adding baking soda to the water will help soften the bean and result in better cooking. Just this week I learned that same addition helps with the gas factor of reconstituting dry beans. How is this so? According to Nutritionfacts.org, the baking soda reduces the sugars in beans. Reducing sugars decreases fermentation in our colons. Interesting stuff! As I am planning to do a lot of swapping of dried for canned beans, I'll make sure to use this step. Believe me, as both DH and I age, we need all the help we can get in the digestion department. 

Adding an acid to bland soup broth. When making bean soup, I was out of both vegetable broth and Better than Bullion. I took to Facebook to learn ideas to counter blandness. Add tomatoes was included again and again. Now, I didn't want a tomato based broth, but the reason behind the recommendation came to light- acid was needed to bring out the flavors of the vegetables, herbs, and seasoning. I added a few TBLS of lemon juice, and it helped a lot. According to thekitchn.com loads of additions added at the end can add balance to the soup base and bring out the intended flavor. I could have, and next time will, try some balsamic vinegar.

Cooked overnight oats are better for you. I never got into the refrigerator oat craze. Eating semi raw, fruity grains is not my thing. However, I like the idea of having real oatmeal ready to go with the ratios of topping to pull out heat up, and eat. Turns out not only is that an ok way to benefit from the make ahead breakfast, but also better for our health. According to My Longevity Kitchen, they're healthier cooked. Uncooked or improperly prepared oatmeal my lead to mineral blocking in our bodies and poor digestive health. (There's that recurring age them again.) I may go forward and make ahead my oats to pull out for my 11:00 meal, but I'll likely forgoe the cute canning jar and just use a microwave safe bowl. I did get another set of these glass bowls with lids that would work well. I'm slowly ditching my plastic "free" meat containers for more glass storage bows that are oven and microwave safe. I easily could layer, oats, fruit, a little maple syrup or brown sugar, and top with milk and just nuke for a minute the next morning. 


     Three new to me learnings. As I try and cook more form whole foods, increasing my proficiency in the kitchen will help. Have you recently learned anything new and are adding it to the way you prepare food?

20 comments:

  1. When you buy a packet of English marrowfat peas (for mushy peas) there is a tablet of baking soda included to soak the peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. We generally like firm sweet peas, but it makes sense to get the texture.

      Delete
  2. Good for you on ditching the plastic and opting for glass. That is all I use too. And yes a little acidity adds so much to almost any dish whether it is lemon, lime, vinegar or tomato...acidity is your friend. I love to hear people getting into scratch cooking.
    Have a great Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over time, all my plastic will be recycled. I've always been able to be a scratch cooker, but got/ get lazy and use too many conveniences.

      Delete
  3. My favorite protein balls use raw oats, and I finally had to give them up because they wreak major havoc on my digestives system. It took me too long to figure that out!

    I love baked oatmeal, which I think is even easier. I make it in a large batch, store in the fridge, & then warm up a single serving at at time.

    Lots of recipe options, but here's one I like. https://www.budgetbytes.com/peanut-butter-brownie-baked-oatmeal/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not really had baked oatmeal but I'll try this. It seems very hardy.

      Delete
  4. No new ideas from me, but I appreciate the list. I've never actually cooked oatmeal (I cheat and use the packages that can be nuked). The idea of cooking beforehand sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the instant packets too, but I prefer taste of old fashioned quick oats

      Delete
  5. I used to and occasionally do still cook oatmeal in advance. But through trial and error, I found steel cut oats stand up to refrigeration much better than regular oats do. When I do make them ahead I have never "dressed" them, but that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the refrigerator oats concept, just not the rawness. Fruit and oatmeal is so good

      Delete
  6. I had never used baking soda in beans until this past year. I either soaked them overnight or cooked them for an hour and covered. But, I love I finally started using baking soda in beans!
    Actually, I love undercooked oatmeal. I like it chewy after nuking it.
    The only vegetable I use vinegar in is coleslaw. Without vinegar, the slaw is bland. Maybe I should more vinegar.

    If tomatoes have a funny taste in spaghetti, put a shake of cinnamon in the tomato sauce. It won't taste like cinnamon, but the sauce will not be bitter or taste like the can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually grind up oatmeal and add it to cookies as a flour, gives them a nutty taste. You can also do this with ground meat to make it stretch a little. Good ideas, are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter makes. Her own oat flour- if course. I love oatmeal, but not uncooked.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tips! I haven't tried baking soda in beans. Interesting, will add some the next time I cook dry beans.
    I don't like overnight refrigerator oats at all. I've gotten out of the habit of eating oatmeal for breakfast, and I know it is full of good for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't eat generally before 11, I don't have often either. I have noticed beans soften better soaked in water with baking soda.

      Delete
  9. The first and last are new to me. It may not be the healthiest tip, but I sometimes add a pat of butter if I find soup lacking something. It adds a richness and a touch of salt. I was big into overnight oats for awhile, but haven’t had them recently. I like to add some cooked brown rice to stretch taco meat. No one has ever noticed. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little butter goes a long way. I love rice with tacos, so naturally use less meat.

      Delete
  10. I like to make baked oatmeal. Have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I like the recipe Hawaii Plan shared.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.