Sunday, August 14, 2022

Menu Plan and Semi Productive

   


     Well my to do  list still is parallel to my arm, but not overstretched at least. I felt a bit like I was in circles yesterday, moving deck chairs around a sinking ship sort of day. But, I accomplished much. I made more my vegan blueberry muffins, trying to get all that misbought sweetened almond milk used. I'll need to freeze some. I got food ready for today, laundry catch up, greeting cards bought, gifts wrapped, library books dropped off, a stop for summer squash, peppers and onions at the farmer's market, and even a tidy up of several rooms. Pup got a good walk in and I got the fridge cleaned out a bit. But, I kept tripping over myself and other people's stuff. I like what Joann once said about some things will be a September solution. 

     This is the morning I try to recap what meals we ate, and what the week ahead might be. This past week: 

  • Sunday- DD1 did FFY. DH and I were full from ballpark fare. 
  • Monday- Orange chicken, rice, ramen and

    broccoli 
  • Tuesday - Chicken Tortellini Alfredo with spinach and roasted veg
  • Wednesday- Crockpot pizza hotdish Hamburgers or chicken burgers, tots, banana cream pie for DH's birthday 
  • Thursday - Cottage pie chili cheese burritos with pinto beans
  • Friday- mushroom Ravioli and roasted vegetables frozen pizza and boneless wings 
  • Saturday- Chili Dogs  with Mac and cheese leftovers, and some of Sundays pasta salad 
So things started going off plan by Wednesday, but we avoided both take out and eating out all week. Here's what I think will be the plan this week.
  • Sunday- assorted meat, salads, veg at lake
  • Monday- Crockpot pizza hotdish
  • Tuesday - Cottage pie
  • Wednesday- Turkey meatloaf and wild rice 
  • Thursday - Chicken and roasted potatoes
  • Friday- mushroom Ravioli and roasted vegetables
  • Saturday- Sweet and sour meatballs with Mac and cheese
     DD2 officially has an end date of 8/24 for her main summer job, but will have potential shifts to 8/31 at the very part time job. That gives her nearly two weeks to get sorted, but she does start one class on 8/25. DD1 has a change to her schedule this week. With us moving towards end of summer, I want to soak in as much time with them as possible. Meal time is a good opportunity for that. What's been on your menu lately?

10 comments:

  1. Glad hear that you got a few things crossed off your list. I’m just biting my tongue with the clutter and the chaos because deep down I know I’m going to miss it! I’m not even sure what we ate last week. I made bbq pork and I don’t think I had any of it lol. DH made some sort of Tex mex spaghetti something and it was pretty tasty. I’m just grateful for food I didn’t have to cook. I know I had Doritos for dinner at least once. We got pizza last night after a Sam’s club trip. I work today so leftover pizza with Sam’s broccoli cheddar soup (Panera dupe). Not sure if anyone will be home for dinner tomorrow. Son has jury duty and no clue how long he’ll be there. Fortunately the courthouse is 15 away so no real travel. If he’s done early I’m sure he’ll take advantage of the day off. DD is accompanying her bf to his school to tag along while he does a few things then they are going to the Melting Pot to celebrate their third anniversary a bit early. I plan on making steak ums with tons of mushrooms regardless of who is here. We’re having a meal with my dad on Tuesday, Wednesday I’d like for us four and DD’s bf to go to dinner or at least ice cream. Thursday is the big day. My dinner will probably be my tears, a bottle of wine and something chocolate. Friday life goes on, so I guess I’ll make something lol and I don’t cook on Saturdays. I feel like DD doesn’t even eat at home much but I guess I’ll have to get used to cooking for three. I suspect there will be a lot less junk food in the house. I already deleted the McDonald’s app from my phone. This will be an interesting new normal. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got this JoAnn. Life evolves but it's good and seeing our kids thrive and knowing we helped is a great feeling. Yes, tears will come but happy ones. I type this knowing I'll be a puddle on September 7th, and get weepy after every text or call with my son. I would enjoy Doritos for supper, lunch, or even breakfast

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty productive day. I hope you enjoy the lake today and get plenty of much deserved R&R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much done, not enough. It was a very nice day at the lake. Great food and a good Pontoon ride.

      Delete
  3. Your menus sound delicious, Sam. I agree that meal time is a great time to spend time with our loved ones. It’s good that DD2 has an end date for her job. It will be easier for her time to get everything sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be pure chaos this week for everyone's schedules, so I don't know if there is anything realistic in my plan. She's feeling burnt out, but that's also because she's had back to back travel.

      Delete
  4. We went out for dinner on Friday, as we miraculously had no kid activities to accommodate. It was nice to have the extra time together, as meals together are often quite rushed at our house.

    We also had: chicken curry, burgers, fresh tomato paella & salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I feel this week will be- rush and chaos. I'm looking forward to my daughter being done with main job, and her getting organized. I'm glad you had a nice meal out.

      Delete
  5. I am going through the fridge and pantry trying to use up old things and leftovers, mostly in sauces and casseroles. These are hardly 'tasty' but I am pleased in my industry and cleverness to use what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there will be some better than expected results. I usually surprise myself.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.