Saturday, September 24, 2022

W's for a First Fall Saturday

   


  Good Saturday morning. We may be in fall after all, but I'm thinking there will still be some summer like days popping up. I'd welcome that. I have to say though, 65-75 but sunny, is pretty glorious. I feel a bit sad though that the fun of sun and swimming, days on a boat, are over until next year. 

What’s top of my mind: 

So many things are top of mind, and that's problematic. It gets almost overwhelming to be honest. I think about my kids and their health, safety, and work or school. I worry about ever getting my work team whole again. I think about DH just up and saying, "see ya" at the end of a particular stupid day with lazy coworkers. The blocking everything out for 10 minutes minimum each morning is my attempt to shake things in place. 

Where I've been:

I've been at my daughter's, a lot. It's been a hard adjustment having a dog. But, DH and I have fallen in love and are equally committed to him. We'll be great dog grandparents. Trivia was fun, we got a new recruit from our old friends group, and were very happy our young player joined. She's such a sweet girl. She paused on her college this semester because she was offered a full time position that she really likes. 

Where I’m going:

 My nephew has a football game, 6th grade, at 11:30. I might try to get there. I made a shortish grocery list and can drive by an Aldi on my way home. This is dependent on a hospital visit, travel from hospital if discharge, or home visit with my sister. 

What I'm eating:

Gorgeous produce from my daughter. Here's a recent harvest. I'm trying so hard to make and eat healthier options. I'm a touch lower than my pre-pandemic weight, having both lost the 11 pound gain, and a couple more pounds. The grandpup will help me get more exercise. Pup just  won't or really can't walk at a pace to really be exercise, but when I either join my daughter, or if eventually walk him myself when providing care, I'll get more cardio. I don't care if I get thinner ( well that would be nice) but I do want to feel healthier. 

What I’m watching:

I guess football and a couple YouTube videos on dog training. I'm now a bit hooked on House of Dragons, but can't get back into the Lord of the Rings. There's a new British Baking show. My daughter and I watched Saturday night, but it was interrupted frequently by puppy needs. 

What I’m reading:

I have to finish my book club book, but I've read nothing. I have a stack of books from my daughter's room that need returning to library so might peek at some shelves. 

What I’m listening to:

I had BBC World News on yesterday while deep in a project. Monday driving to office was the stupid morning shows. 

 What I’m planning: 

In regards to grandpup, we're going to create a duo set up here for him. I can't keep driving back and forth and it'd just be easier to create a "boarding" type home here for when she can't telework. While in time, he'll settle into an easier routine that works for her, while still learning and puppy, this will work better. 

Who needs a good slap:

Now the neighbors are treating the entire Cul de sac as a massive playground with guests. It was extreme last night. There had to have been 10+ kids, and it took one women five minutes to herd kids out of road so we could leave and another car could turn in. Not one other adult helped but stood around with beers in hand looking at us like we were in the wrong for interrupting their evening. 

Who Deserves Knuck's (Fist Bump):  

DH for being the Dog Whisperer. He failed our little sh&$-+-tzu pup, but darn if he doesn't have a knack with this new guy. 

What’s making me smile:

 I'm not happy that my sister had to have a scheduled followup surgery to her diverticular problem last spring, but glad she's getting care. What's making me smile is my family rallying around to schedule visits, home care, and meals. We're a good bunch.

That's what I got this week. I'm a bit exhausted mentally, but have a good to do list to keep busy. Play along if you'd like.

19 comments:

  1. even if you walk at a pace that isn't weight reducing... just being outside and walking is healthy and very good for mental thoughts. Daddy was still walking at 90 because he didn't focus on how fast or far, just what was around him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how I feel after being outside for a while in the fall. Your dad had it right.

      Delete
  2. Your daughter did well from her veggie garden - much better than I did! And I would be mad at having to "avoid" all those kids just to pull up at my home too! I'm not surprised they need a slap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll need to figure out her preferred vegetables next year. She'll add zucchini and fewer peppers.

      Delete
  3. Work has been going well, though a few scheduling issues have ruffled my feathers a little. I haven’t had a full weekend off since the beginning of August so I pretty much demanded this one off. I went to the football game last night with some friends, my school was playing their school and it was fun! They beat us, but that’s okay. We can’t be State Champs every year ;) Don’t get me started on how they couldn’t win in 6A and had to drop down to 5A to win lol. I guess the PA athletic association is who needs slapped for letting that happen. Sometimes I’m too competitive for my own good. Looking forward to doing some house work this morning and whatever we decide to do this afternoon and evening. Wednesday I’m going to lunch my with Mom friends. Friday my daughter will be home for fall break, I took off sun-tues to spend with her. On Saturday, two of my college girl coworkers will be home for break as well and I can’t wait to see them. I found out some top-secret info that a friend of mine is pregnant, like 5 weeks only pregnant. She hasn’t told many people since it’s so early but I was thrilled for her when she told me. The cul de sac issue is troubling. It’s like they have some weird sense of entitlement. Bet they wouldn’t like it if you had guests over and you all put your chairs smack in the middle of the road and wouldn’t move. I hope you find some time this weekend to decompress and relax and to shut your brain off for a little while. Music seems to help me with that. I let the lyrics fill my mind, not my thoughts. And I hope your sister has a smooth recovery. I’m off to make another coffee, get some clothes in the dryer, put another basket of laundry away and tackle the house. Have a great Saturday! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the weekend with your daughter. It sounds like if you can get scheduling snafus, your job will go much better.

      Delete
  4. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your sister. It's good that she has family to count on for support. The veggies look so good. I'm going to miss going outside for veggies and herbs.
    Enjoy your Saturday Sam!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is doing great. It looks like home today. I hope you were able to freeze some.

      Delete
  5. Great work on dropping the weight - it's no easy feat. That produce is gorgeous.

    Hope your sister is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping at it in the health department. If I could lose a few more by the holidays, then maintain, that would be a goal. Sis is doing great.

      Delete
  6. I always say "if I'm walking, I'm not eating!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any kind of walking is good walking unless you are consuming massive calories...lol. See? You do get free food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never say know to surplus garden produce. I try to avoid massive calories, but baking season is coming.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. She sure got lucky with the ready made garden. Next year will be fun to see how she does.

      Delete
  9. I wish I could join you in trivia! I spent the better part of the morning/ early afternoon on our other two properties picking the remaining apples and crabapples off the trees, and gleaning the last of the blackberries. I have a batch of blackberry jam in the canner, and I will make Apple/crabapple butter later this weekend. There is an offer on our previous house, which should close in October, and our tenant will move to our farm next week for a year's lease. I was less than frugal with the rental, opting to have a local real estate agency manage it for a finder's fee of 1 month's rent, and a management fee of 10% of the rent. In return, they ran a background and credit check, etc., and will handle all maintenance issues should they arise, all I have to do is grant approval. And, I will get my monthly payment on the 1st of the month whether she pays or not--it's the management's responsibility to track her down for the rent, not mine...hence the 10% fee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever in the area, you'd be welcome to play. That's a smart plan. The headaches of rentals are considerable.

      Delete
  10. Fascinating to read about the kids. I didn't know kids were left unsupervised anymore these days.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.