Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Positively Tuesday- Exhausted But OK

      Taking care of a young dog is not the same as caring for a toddler, but it's exhausting none the less. As we help our daughter, I remind myself he's going to develop very fast, from puppy to companion. He's just still very much puppy. I will say, I am putting on more steps in a day than I probably have in three. When I fall asleep at night it's sound! I've only helped once so far with both dogs together, but I'm sure we were a sight when I walked them together. Weight wise they are the same or close, but pup is compact and strong, low to the ground and full of fluff. Grandpup is tall and lean. When he stretched out, he's like seeing a greyhound in full stride.  Joys and challenges of canines is not all I'm reflecting on. Here's my day to day lead up to Positively Tuesday. 

Tuesday: I had stayed at my daughter's. I walked to a nearby C store for coffee, hers to go, and mine for a leisurely hour before I started my work day.  I had a good and productive work morning and play with the grandpup before heading to an outdoor work event. It was a good day. 

Wednesday: Day one of a two day conference was filled with seeing in person for the first time in 30 months both local and national colleagues. We also were the work day equivalent of wined and dined. Food was delicious. It felt good to work hard and be treated well.

Thursday: I had a damper of a day with yet another round of audit materials requested. While I feel like I've been asked to give a kidney, I realized it can't go on forever. The second day of conference was our turn to present and it went very well. Our family member who is having a hard time, was able to get an appointment for today to get needed support managing their mental health. 

Friday: I worked a work day "light", covering multiple mail boxes. My daughter joined me for lunch, giving her pup needed quiet time. She took a needed nap as well. There's always room for my kids. That night, I had a girls card night at my sister's. I drove my sister who just last week had major surgery. She's doing so well. 

Saturday: DH took a rare Saturday off just because. We went to a nephew's football game, errands, and introduced the dogs. Let's just say they are not fast friends, but it'll get better.

Sunday: We kept grandpup overnight. Not perfect but manageable. We watched an exciting Vikings game and had loads of outdoor time. I'm pretty sure I lost another pound or two. If my darm knee didn't act up, I'd use grandpup as a running buddy. Walking will have to do. 

He's not a green eyed demon, but
man do we need to make sure
he has something to chew.

Monday: Book club was a good discussion of Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affairs of Styles. Like so many classic books, written in time periods well before my time, I sometimes struggle with the writing while very much enjoying the story. I'll definitely read more- there's no shortage of choices. 

     This week hopefully will be filled with more positives, despite the work related stress. I can't let that keep me or put me down. The days are getting really short now. While we have any sun in our days, I plan to take advantage. The sun isn't even up yet, but I'm enjoying morning quiet on the porch with coffee. I hope you have a Positively Tuesday kind of day. 


 

12 comments:

  1. I'm happy it sounds like you had a really peaceful week for the most part. I'm sure the doggies will get along soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the older one, just not warming up to her m during his quiet times. I suspect he feels invaded.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like Grandpup is a handful-in a good way :) That’s exactly the kind of commitment that I don’t want lol. I’ve had a pretty great week, except I slept in a little too long and just heard the garbage man cruise by without any of us putting the trash out. I spent time with friends and my daughter and extended “family” this week, took some time off work, we went to a petting zoo, took my dad to dinner, carved a pumpkin. Really great stuff. There were a few bumps along the way, but honestly they are the same old ones I’m used to. Some things/people/situations never change. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't really choose this, but it became obvious she would have her hands too full. I'm enjoying him, but he needs to burn energy, but also gets very sleepy when we want him active. Sounds like any baby right?

      Delete
  3. My sister currently has two Golden Retrievers - the older one is a year old this week, and the baby is six months old. I just spent some time at the Cape with them, and walking them together was "interesting". The older one loves the water, but the baby stands and barks at his brother from the shore because he can't quite jump in the water yet. Luckily they help tire each other out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pup is 11 and 1/2 and like's being pampered. He's got no patience for the child. The Golden's sound so cute!

      Delete
  4. I read your tales of damper days at work, and I'm not surprised people are "quiet quitting." I'm glad your sister is doing well. I miss having dogs...sort of. DD, (with our blessing) got a Labrador Retriever puppy last October, but then all hell broke loose here, so her boyfriend has had the dog at his house most of the time during the day to housebreak/train and basically, get her out of the horrible puppy stage, in which while they are God's cutest thing in nature, they are also the most destructive things on earth. I have no strong feelings other than the fact that she is cute and sweet, and I want the best for her. I have never had a female dog, or a yellow Lab, either. I prefer males, and prefer Black Labrador Retrievers, but, really, if it were up to me we'd have had another Mastiff, but my heart can't take that--they don't live long. DD fell in love with this pup when she saw the litter, and we gave her the green light. But, again, lousy timing of events we couldn't predict. She went into heat shortly after we moved here, and since the Labrador on the next property is not neutered, and we have no fences on these properties, BF kept her until her spaying appointment, and now she is recovering. Hopefully she'll be back here within the week. I am glad her boyfriend's family was so willing to step up for the puppy stage, because they are raising a sweet, sweet girl. The alternative was sending her back to her breeder, and I don't think I could have faced that. I joke that I take in stray kids and cats, they take in the stray dog, and it all works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sort of the plan here. We'll help out during the worst of the puppy stage, giving her time to adjust to her house, her schedule, and he'll eventually only visit us on occasion. Though, I don't know what was more wearing. Caring for two dogs or the drive back and forth. It's a toss up. I'm sorry for your timing, but the BFs family sure we're a great help.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a week consisting of lots of positives. I've never owned a dog, they sound as exhausting as having babies (but much cuter!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exhausting is the right word. But there's also the calm. Just tonight we all cuddled up and watched something, pup next to me and grandpup at our feet. The good thing though puppies to humans, by a year he'll be grown up!

      Delete
  6. My "walk a thousand miles in 2022 challenge" isn't going so well this year - heck maybe I should get a pup too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word of advice- borrow one! You get all the cute and still the sleep.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.